Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Thanks, so I reckon I'll give the iPhone a go, probably go with the XR or X due to the price of the others.
    Is there much difference between these two? From what I have read the screen on X seems to be better but the overall performance of the XR is greater, which has me leaning towards the XR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

deco72 wrote: »
    Thanks, so I reckon I'll give the iPhone a go, probably go with the XR or X due to the price of the others.
    Is there much difference between these two? From what I have read the screen on X seems to be better but the overall performance of the XR is greater, which has me leaning towards the XR.

XR still wins for the following:

Smart HDR, cinematic Stabilization and Dynamic range on the camera (I cannot understate how amazing this is. It's insane)

Battery life. 2 hours longer than the X

The XS Max is a good few hrs shy of the current competitions battery life. So I don't get moving to iPhone for better battery especially when it's just shy of €1300 for the entry level model. Mate 20 pro is a long way ahead of it for battery but that phone has its own problems.
    I'll get a few days out of my own if I wind back the screen to the iPhones 60hz, knock off the chromo logo etc.
    Said it before give me a 120hz screen in an iPhone and a battery to get me through the weekend and I'll consider jumping back. Stuck now in the gamer phone Sphere as used to the speed at which I can use the phone day to day, nothing to do with gaming. Only the Rog and Razer to choose from. Hopefully it trickles down to other phones but have my doubts as OLED can't don't 120hz, Rog can do 90hz which is good enough. 60hz is just to much of a step back, frustrating to use I've tried.

Why do you need a phone to last a weeeknd? That’s a nonsense requirement (as is looking for refresh rates your eyes cannot even notice). If you don’t have access to power so what I’ve a power bank that give 3 full charges at least to my phone and it’s very small and compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Blazer wrote: »
    their tiny little minds couldn't handle the truth and they're the real sheep.

No warning? I thought comments like this were subject to the rules being broken, insults? Just curious as to why there's no warning beside that post. It's not a nice thing to say about android users? post number 633

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Some car crash this has turned out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why do you need a phone to last a weeeknd? That’s a nonsense requirement (as is looking for refresh rates your eyes cannot even notice). If you don’t have access to power so what I’ve a power bank that give 3 full charges at least to my phone and it’s very small and compact.

You don't understand the refresh rate and its effect on usability. I love when it's in an android it's nonsense technology and when it's in the iPad pro it's the best screen ever.
    I left home at 11am Saturday and at 1pm today I still had 60% left....yea noticed a few iPhone users sharing battery packs on the way home, not my scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Do you not have access to power every night? Looking for a battery that lasts the weekend is nonsense as was stated above.

Shn99 wrote: »
    a battery that lasts the weekend is nonsense as was stated above.

In your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Micky 32 wrote: »
    No warning? I thought comments like this were subject to the rules being broken, insults? Just curious as to why there's no warning beside that post. It's not a nice thing to say about android users? post number 633

but Android users can say it?
    I got a warning for an earlier comment so don't fret about it.

In your opinion.

No its fact. There is no phone that lasts a weekend unless you go back to the pre-smartphone era.
    Turning stuff off doesn't count.
    The more batttery power we get the more power hungry apps or hardware is put into the phone by hardware manufacturers.
    Quick charge is a good solution to this.
    Hell I have a wireless charger at my bedside locker, at my pc, at my work desk and even in my car. Essentially my phone has always plenty of power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’ve had relationships that haven’t lasted a weekend

Blazer wrote: »
    No its fact. .

So an opinion is a fact now, what he said was "Why do you need a phone to last a weeeknd? That’s a nonsense requirement"

Your basically saying an iPhone that lasts a week is no more useful than one which lasts a day.

We’ll be going on forever at this rate. Your opinion is your opinion and you’ve a right to have one, however I think the majority of people will agree that a phone that lasts a day (6-8hrs screen time) suits them just fine. If the battery on the razer 2 is as good as you claim it to be(I’d be sceptical) then good for you. And by the way, your on the wrong thread @drunkmonkey and second of all if you have such a big issue with the batteries in an iPhone..go email Tim Cook or go to the papers cos we can’t do much here unfortunately

Your opinion is your opinion and you’ve a right to have one, however I think the majority of people will agree that a phone that lasts a day (6-8hrs screen time) suits them just fine.

I believe your very wrong, the majority will not agree with you, every smart phone users want a better battery in their phone regardless of make, iphone users want better and so do android. The ones carrying around charge packs here will 100% disagree with you.

Your opinion is your opinion and you’ve a right to have one, however I think the majority of people will agree that a phone that lasts a day (6-8hrs screen time) suits them just fine.

I believe your very wrong, the majority will not agree with you, every smart phone users want a better battery in their phone regardless of make, iphone users want better and so do android. The ones carrying around charge packs here will 100% disagree with you.
    I get they want that, and they have it... anything above a days battery life is overkill, unless most smartphone users don’t have access to a power supply every night.....As someone said above if you want a battery that lasts days on end then go back to a Nokia 3310. If I acted like you are here in the android thread about iPhones I’d be thrown out straight awahI’m not going to waste anymore time here, take your “perfect” android phone and go back to the android thread, please..Thanks :)

I get they want that, and they have it... anything above a days battery life is overkill, unless most smartphone users don’t have access to a power supply every night.....As someone said above if you want a battery that lasts days on end then go back to a Nokia 3310. If I acted like you are here in the android thread about iPhones I’d be thrown out straight awahI’m not going to waste anymore time here, take your “perfect” android phone and go back to the android thread, please..Thanks :)

Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Closing this thread until certain folks calm down. Seriously, people, they're just phones...

iPhone XR clear case now on sale - €45. Same price as a silicone.
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MRW62/iphone-xr-clear-case?fnode=42

iPhone XR clear case now on sale - €45. Same price as a silicone.
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MRW62/iphone-xr-clear-case?fnode=42

Save your money and get the incipio dual pro
    I got it for my xs max and it came out €20 compared to €55 for apples version.
    Fantastic case.

Was starting to organise with one or two people travelling back from the states to pick up an Xs or an Xs max for me (Christmas present to myself :pac:) but while checking prices for selling my 6s on adverts I noticed a few small shops in Dublin selling the Xs and Xs max at very close to us prices brand new in box, one was even equally priced on one model to the us apple store.

They appear to have bricks and mortar shops and mountains of positive feedback so are they trust worthy for buying off? Anyone have any experience? Would save a bit of hassle in organising getting it back from the states its friends of friends I'd be asking rather than direct contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Wonder which of the networks will be the first to support Esim's seeing as how both vodafone and 3 are supporting them in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Wonder which of the networks will be the first to support Esim's seeing as how both vodafone and 3 are supporting them in other countries.
    VodafoneIE and threeIE are completely separate companies then their global partners.

there's differences all round, here's a couple.

Vodafone UK have eSim support for cellular Apple Watch. IE doesn't.
    Three UK include the US as a 'Roam like Home" country. IE doesn't.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Irish carriers to do eSim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Guys,

just got an XR and in fairness, it seems like a really nice phone. Granted, not an XS but for the price difference, I'm very happy. Great form factor/screen size. All restored without issue from a previous backup but cannot get spotlight working on messages. It will only index the few messages received on the new handest, not from backup. All messages are there though. Any suggestions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

dodzy wrote: »
    Guys,

just got an XR and in fairness, it seems like a really nice phone. Granted, not an XS but for the price difference, I'm very happy. Great form factor/screen size. All restored without issue from a previous backup but cannot get spotlight working on messages. It will only index the few messages received on the new handest, not from backup. All messages are there though. Any suggestions ?

I’ve a similar when searching messages on my 8, and have had it since I got the phone last Christmas so interested in responses to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

OSI wrote: »
    The search on messages is just a pile of ****e in general, it's an often leveraged complaint.
    Never had an issue on any iPhone that supported the feature. Until yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Think I have the dreaded bit of dust in my camera housing, anyone know what the turnaround time for repair is on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

Anybody use the Apple silicone case for the XS Max? I've used an otterbox for every other phone I've had and was considering a clear one of those also. Oh, any recommendation for a screen protector as well?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Rum Ham! wrote: »
    Anybody use the Apple silicone case for the XS Max? I've used an otterbox for every other phone I've had and was considering a clear one of those also. Oh, any recommendation for a screen protector as well?

I use the Apple Leather covers exclusively, same form factor as the silicone ones and zero issues. great covers, albeit a bit expensive.

Rum Ham! wrote: »

Save your money and get the incipio dual pro.
    About €12 on Amazon and it’s fantastic. Have it on my xs max. For the money you save you can pick up a wireless charger (€17) and a car wireless charger also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ebay is another great source for covers. Got a great case here and I'm very happy with it's saved my 8 plus plenty of times.

Apple cases are a complete rip off and no better than many on the market.

Advertisement