Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ebay is another great source for covers. Got a great case here and I'm very happy with it's saved my 8 plus plenty of times.

Apple cases are a complete rip off and no better than many on the market.

Id love to try the clear TPU case apple have on sale and compare it to my €2 one from Wish. Doubt it would warrant spending an extra €43

X to XR, upgrade or downgrade? I got the X a few months ago but a relative is asking if I want to take their XR upgrade for 249...opinions appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sideways really. Personally wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Shn99 wrote: »
    X to XR, upgrade or downgrade? I got the X a few months ago but a relative is asking if I want to take their XR upgrade for 249...opinions appreciated

Probably sideways as said above. I did the same. Got the X on launch coming from a 7plus. Found the plus a tiny bit unwieldy and the X a tiny bit small, so it was very much a preference thing.

Got the Xr on launch day too, so have had it a while. Love the size, it’s absolutely perfect for me. Don’t notice the screen res. Admittedly I did initially, and the slight change coming from Oled, mainly in the blacks, but got used to it in a day or two. Standout for me is battery life.

If you’ve €250 burning a hole in your pocket, go for it. It’s a step up in some ways and down in others which may swing either way depending on what’s important to you.

Probably sideways as said above. I did the same. Got the X on launch coming from a 7plus. Found the plus a tiny bit unwieldy and the X a tiny bit small, so it was very much a preference thing.

Got the Xr on launch day too, so have had it a while. Love the size, it’s absolutely perfect for me. Don’t notice the screen res. Admittedly I did initially, and the slight change coming from Oled, mainly in the blacks, but got used to it in a day or two. Standout for me is battery life.

If you’ve €250 burning a hole in your pocket, go for it. It’s a step up in some ways and down in others which may swing either way depending on what’s important to you.

Id throw the X up on adverts so id be getting at least 4-500 back. Id be getting it mainly for the battery life tbh, camera would be just fine for me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Id throw the X up on adverts so id be getting at least 4-500 back. Id be getting it mainly for the battery life tbh, camera would be just fine for me too

If you were selling I may be interested. Was looking at both the X and XR myself.

Will let you know Deco, Im still torn between the 2..Im slightly regretting buying the X purely due to the price, I seen the XR screen in store a few weeks ago but ill have to go back again to see. Also does anyone know if Vodafone will unlock the XR straight after getting it as im with 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

On prepay off them? They'll want you to top up with €240 before they'll unlock it. They used to anyway.

Relative is Vodafone Billpay, I’m 3 Prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

€250 plus your X. Doing you no favors there, he/she ain’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

OSI wrote: »
    Picked up an official Apple leather case for the XS Max today.

Daaaayyyuummmm! I've said before I almost exclusively use my phones bare metal but this is the first case I could see myself leaving on long term, the phone actually feels nicer in the hand than it does bare, but it doesn't have the "**** your pockets" bulk of an otterbox.

Drop protection on them is fairly crap though.
    I’ve said it in previous threads but the incipio dual pro (clear) is only €17 and has a 10ft drop protection rating. Ive dropped mine off the couch a few times and no issues with it.
    I’ve always bought the official leather cases but this time around with the price of getting the screen fixed I wasn’t taking chances.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If the screen isn't covered, how does one case of the same broad design protect the screen area better than the next?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Will let you know Deco, Im still torn between the 2..Im slightly regretting buying the X purely due to the price, I seen the XR screen in store a few weeks ago but ill have to go back again to see. Also does anyone know if Vodafone will unlock the XR straight after getting it as im with 3?

I think that’s a very bad deal.

There are aspects about the X that are better than the XR.

The display, build quality & having dual camera’s.

A straight swap - maybe.

You paying €249 for the XR and handing over an X?. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dades wrote: »
    If the screen isn't covered, how does one case of the same broad design protect the screen area better than the next?

Slightly higher ridges around the phone.
    The incipio dual pro is make of a plastic rubber material so it absorbs the impact rather than the phone. With leather that drop energy transfers to the phone.
    Its down to a tenner now in british punts.
    I've owned apple leather cases since I first bought my iphone 4 many years ago.
    Since then I've owned the 5, 5s, 6, 6+, 7+ and always had the apple case.
    This is the first time I changed and it was more to do with showing off the silver than anything else and I came across the dual pro case and have to admit for that price its an absolute steal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FKDRN12/ref=twister_B07HKJT956?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

FourFourFM wrote: »

I think that’s a very bad deal.

There are aspects about the X that are better than the XR.

The display, build quality & having dual camera’s.

A straight swap - maybe.

You paying €249 for the XR and handing over an X?. No way.
    I’m not handing over the X, I’ll be selling the X. I’d be paying €249 for the upgrade and be Selling the x

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I’m not handing over the X, I’ll be selling the X. I’d be paying €249 for the upgrade and be Selling the x
    Gotcha now. Take their XR anyway. It's a €700 phone all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

My wife has the iPhone 6 and I'd like to buy her a new iPhone. However in the states and The UK I've heard that Apple have dropped their prices and given great trade in deals.I haven't seen any deals here.Does anyone know anything about discounts

argentum wrote: »
    My wife has the iPhone 6 and I'd like to buy her a new iPhone. However in the states and The UK I've heard that Apple have dropped their prices and given great trade in deals.I haven't seen any deals here.Does anyone know anything about discounts

No prices have been reduced apart from in Japan where sales are really struggling(the price reduction is only on bill pay contracts). The only “discount” is the trade in which is up to €545 off a new phone(eg iPhone X in immaculate condition). For an immaculate iPhone 6 it wouldn’t be much. I can see apple going further to try and boost the sales as they’ve been way lower than expected

And iPhone should be Max €700 to buy like Samsung then everyone could afford one

They make iPhone for between €200 - €250 each in the factory the profit they are making for each phone sold is crazy

• Advertisement

And iPhone should be Max €700 to buy like Samsung then everyone could afford one

They make iPhone for between €200 - €250 each in the factory the profit they are making for each phone sold is crazy

Newer models with oled screens, glass, Stainless steel etc cost around €400 but still the profit margins are mad. I bet theyre panicking in Silicon Valley...value down 30%, Citi Group reported that forecasts for the XS Max were down as much as 50%..lower than expected demand for the XR, iPad Pros coming out of the box bent and apple claiming its ok!!! They really wont be doing themselves any favours this year by keeping the prices the same or gauging them up even more.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Share price down 9%, which is a significant drop.

awec wrote: »
    Share price down 9%, which is a significant drop.

iPhone cut prices coming when? Hopefully soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

iPhone cut prices coming when? Hopefully soon

Internal memo distributed to employees suggests its issue is china with
    minimal change outside.

Basically china has tanked. Don’t expect prices to come down anytime soon

lastly it’s €969 for a samsung galaxy s9. not 700 or whatever someone pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The s9 is €690 here and if you bought before Xmas Eve it was €580 with the Samsung cashback offer.
    Think they've complete lost it with the hole in the S10, the notch was bad enough but that's an abomination.
    Prices have dropped in the states and there doing a good trade in offer so it's not just China.

Apples making it seem like it’s an issue exclusive to China but the reality is iPhone, Mac, iPad sales are falling in a lot of markets. Apple certainly isn’t going anywhere any time soon but they do need to improve their strategy and start innovating once again...

The s9 is €690 here and if you bought before Xmas Eve it was €580 with the Samsung cashback offer.
    Think they've complete lost it with the hole in the S10, the notch was bad enough but that's an abomination.
    Prices have dropped in the states and there doing a good trade in offer so it's not just China.

oh right. I just went to samsung’s website and compared prices between samsung’s official site and Apples. But cool whatever.

And again i was referring to the internal company memo that squarely points to china. No prices have dropped in the states. That false. They offer higher trade in.

Apples making it seem like it’s an issue exclusive to China but the reality is iPhone, Mac, iPad sales are falling in a lot of markets. Apple certainly isn’t going anywhere any time soon but they do need to improve their strategy and start innovating once again...

could you link to some reference for the above statement? I can’t find any info online that breaks down continents and sales. I just want to be part of that reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I really do hope Apple rethinks the pricing because it’s really difficult paying such a high price when the competition aren’t coming close to those prices with phones that are basically on par at this stage. The highest I’ve seen is Samsung but they still usually stay below €1k.

As much as I love the X I think this will be the first time I’ve kept an iPhone for more than 2 years, unless they bring out a significant upgrade with a lower price.

I also disagree the iPad “bendgate” is causing any significant problems to sales. It’s a storm in a teacup, there’s one of these controversies every year with Apple and they always boil down to nothing. The only two legitimate ones I can think of was the iPhone 4 and the battery throttling, and in both cases Apple offered a compromise. It’s just the clickbaiters and YouTubers running with it coz they know it brings in the pageviews.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I wouldn't mind the camera hole as long as the OS was designed in such a way as it didn't get in the way.

I do have a problem with the 'chin', i.e. bottom bezel only. That kind of asymmetry offends me. Would rather a thicker bezel all round than just one at the bottom.

Advertisement