Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Considering moving to the XS, does anyone with the XS, Max or XR have many issues with mobile and wifi dropping?

Reading online the issues the new line of phones seem to have with mobile and wifi dropping regularly due to the intel chip being used. I can only find mostly Americans ranting about it, wondering if here in Ireland anyone is seeing these issues?

Went through the entire thread and havent found much.

Never any problems with wifi or mobile issues ( unless no signal of course :o) It could be the USA model phones with the issues maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Never any problems with wifi or mobile issues ( unless no signal of course :o) It could be the USA model phones with the issues maybe.

Cheers lads, i dont mind my usual three signal disappearing act now and again, just the americans seem to be up in arms on reddit over it lol, grand i wont think too much about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I’ll be sending mine back. It’s intermittently dropping the WiFi, it shows as connected but it isn’t.
    Happens 1-2 times a day maybe but it’s extremely annoying.
    Will be sending back for a replacement .
    It’s the xs max

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Blazer wrote: »
    I’ll be sending mine back. It’s intermittently dropping the WiFi, it shows as connected but it isn’t.
    Happens 1-2 times a day maybe but it’s extremely annoying.
    Will be sending back for a replacement .
    It’s the xs max

Are you using default settings for WiFi without customisation of dns? I’ve noticed similar on Xs Max too. Full signal with no service. Customised dns to 1.1.1.1 and that solved it for me. Not so much the iPhone but more an issue with switching from cell data to WiFi from what I can tell. Good luck.

Tazium wrote: »
    Are you using default settings for WiFi without customisation of dns? I’ve noticed similar on Xs Max too. Full signal with no service. Customised dns to 1.1.1.1 and that solved it for me. Not so much the iPhone but more an issue with switching from cell data to WiFi from what I can tell. Good luck.

Yeah I am actually.
    Might give that a shot although I’m normally on WiFi all week and then it just stops for 20-30 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No issues on an XR anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Thanks for all the replies, took the plunge and got the XS today, so far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I swapped form the XR to the XS. Just found the XR too big & slightly heavier than what I am used to. Much happier now with the XS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No issues for me on the XR on Eir.
    Moved from a 6 plus so it's a big jump in performance and battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

Is there anyway to transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to IOS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

digiman wrote: »
    Is there anyway to transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to IOS?

There is a program that does it but you have to pay for it. It’s the dr.fone restore social app. Think it was was like 20 quid when I brought.

It won’t do Viber unfortunately though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I'm trying to decide between an Xs and and Xr.

There are several differences but the only ones of concern to me are the screen and camera.

Can anyone give me some advice ?

Just how much better do iTunes movies and Netflix look on an Xs compared to Xr.

Are the photos exactly the same? Is the only real difference the zoom?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

So I ended up upgrading from an X to XS Max, the opportunity presented itself and I decided to do it. Have to say, it’s a tremendous device. I haven’t had any of the “plus size” iPhones before but I’m glad I went with it. I see a speed difference too between the X and Max, iOS is an even smoother experience. So far Dave is pleased :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Anyone with a XR having issues with the personal hotspot?

Tried connecting my laptop to mine earlier and it finds it no problem. For some reason it won’t connect to the phone. Connected my laptop to my other half’s iPhone 8plus which is sitting beside my XR and connects to the 8plus with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mr.S wrote: »
    Annoying that WhatsApp doesn't allow cross device backup / restore.

It's probably Apple not allowing you pull down a back up from Google drive as they want you using iCloud. Then it's probably Google's fault you can't restore an iCloud backup to an android.
    I've a feeling what's app is just piggy in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

Just got the IPhone XR 64gb first iPhone since the iPhone 5. Anyone recommend any good apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

mr170 wrote: »
    Just got the IPhone XR 64gb first iPhone since the iPhone 5. Anyone recommend any good apps?

Some of my must have apps:
    1Password - Password manager/auth
    Dark Sky - hyper-local weather updates
    Feedly - RSS type reader with a lot of customisation
    TV Time - tracks shows and lets you know when new episodes/seasons air.

Good thing is these all have some type of dark mode (except 1password) which looks great with the edge to edge screens and minimal bezels. Look even better on the OLED screens but will still look good on the XR.

With iOS 13 supposed to get native dark mode it will only get better from here.

So who's going to chance downloading the ios 13 profile for the beta tomorrow? ( i think it's released tomorrow?) I will be anyway.

So who's going to chance downloading the ios 13 profile for the beta tomorrow? ( i think it's released tomorrow?) I will be anyway.
    The public betas usually don't release for a few weeks so unless you have a developer account you won't be able to install until its released for user testing.

DubDJ wrote: »
    The public betas usually don't release for a few weeks so unless you have a developer account you won't be able to install until its released for user testing.

There's lots of websites that let you download the developer beta for free and some have a little charge like 5 dollars from tomorrow.. I got ios 12 last June for free., i have actually been using the ios 12 developer beta's all year.

• Advertisement

There's lots of websites that let you download the developer beta for free and some have a little charge like 5 dollars from tomorrow.. I got ios 12 last June for free., i have actually been using the ios 12 developer beta's all year.
    Fair enough, I was just thinking of the normal ways of getting the beta. I would recommend waiting for those thinking of doing it, some of the early bugs will be worked out and overall it will be more stable by time the public beta rolls out.

The Mig wrote: »
    Anyone with a XR having issues with the personal hotspot?

Tried connecting my laptop to mine earlier and it finds it no problem. For some reason it won’t connect to the phone. Connected my laptop to my other half’s iPhone 8plus which is sitting beside my XR and connects to the 8plus with no issues

I’ve literally just noticed I have this on my Xs Max. Reset network settings.. no joy.. weird.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

I’ve literally just noticed I have this on my Xs Max. Reset network settings.. no joy.. weird.

I got mine sorted today. My laptop was trying to connect to my iPhone 6s as a remembered network because the hotspot has the same name :mad:

The Mig wrote: »
    I got mine sorted today. My laptop was trying to connect to my iPhone 6s as a remembered network because the hotspot has the same name :mad:

I see it connecting to the phone and dropping. I’ll suss it out eventually..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

iOS 13 specific posts moved to the iOS 13 thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just got an XR and it seems SO much bigger and heavier than my 6s. Worried I made a mistake. Will I get used to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Expecting delivery of a brand new XR today, having used Android all my adult life (HTC Hero, HTC Desire, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, HTC One S, HTC One M8, Galaxy S6, HTC U11).

Very excited. I still love Android, and maybe even think it is still a superior phone platform, but I have an iPad, and I really want an Apple Watch, so I decided to take the plunge.

All of my contacts are on my Google Account - am I ok to keep using these or would I be better served transferring them to my icloud account?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just got an XR and it seems SO much bigger and heavier than my 6s. Worried I made a mistake. Will I get used to it?

Yes, it doesn't take long.

Expecting delivery of a brand new XR today, having used Android all my adult life (HTC Hero, HTC Desire, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, HTC One S, HTC One M8, Galaxy S6, HTC U11).

Very excited. I still love Android, and maybe even think it is still a superior phone platform, but I have an iPad, and I really want an Apple Watch, so I decided to take the plunge.

All of my contacts are on my Google Account - am I ok to keep using these or would I be better served transferring them to my icloud account?

If you're thinking of an apple watch I was selling my one just over 7 weeks old. I made the decision to move to android which I'm kinda regretting becuase of the watch etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Sorry I don’t know if this has been covered but I’m wondering if anyone with experience could tell me whichis the best phone to buy please I have a choice between xs or xr

Advertisement