Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Sorry I don’t know if this has been covered but I’m wondering if anyone with experience could tell me whichis the best phone to buy please I have a choice between xs or xr
    XS is better spec wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Blazer wrote: »
    If you're thinking of an apple watch I was selling my one just over 7 weeks old. I made the decision to move to android which I'm kinda regretting becuase of the watch etc

Thanks, but unfortunately the watch will have to wait a while for my funds to regenerate.

Have been playing around with the xr for a few hours now and loving it so far. Arranging my home screen has been the one frustrating experience

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sorry I don’t know if this has been covered but I’m wondering if anyone with experience could tell me whichis the best phone to buy please I have a choice between xs or xr
    XS is better spec wise.
    If budget is no object, then get the XS. If you rather save the difference and put it towards something else, the XR will tick nearly every box the XS does. If LED v OLED doesn't mean anything to you, then there's not much point in spending the extra.

One thing to note is that the XR is slightly bigger than the XS, is size is a factor one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dades wrote: »
    If budget is no object, then get the XS. If you rather save the difference and put it towards something else, the XR will tick nearly every box the XS does. If LED v OLED doesn't mean anything to you, then there's not much point in spending the extra.

One thing to note is that the XR is slightly bigger than the XS, is size is a factor one way or the other.

They asked which was the best phone, with little to no quantifiers. My answer was based on that :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Anyone see or avail of good deals on unlocked iPhones Xr/Xs/x? I’ve seen them in Argos but their still pretty expensive . I got a good prepay deal with Eir when they changed from a meteor and I’d be slow to give that up. Unlimited calls/texts and 20GGb data& free social data for 20 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Anyone see or avail of good deals on unlocked iPhones Xr/Xs/x? I’ve seen them in Argos but their still pretty expensive . I got a good prepay deal with Eir when they changed from a meteor and I’d be slow to give that up. Unlimited calls/texts and 20GGb data& free social data for 20 a month.
    If you are sim only you can change every month if you like. Eir have a €15 deal at the moment. Don’t mind the whole 6 month thing. Just change to the next deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

After an ill-fated foray into the Mate 20 pro and Android for a few weeks I'm back into the Apple fold but slumming it with an iphone 6.
    One thing I realised is that I don't need a massive phone like the XS Max..ever since Apple launched the plus version I've always gone for it due to the extra features.
    Now that the XS has the same features as the XS Max I'll gonna switch to that...even using the 6 feels so much better than the XS Max I previously had and makes the downgrade worthwhile to a small screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I had a 6 plus then a 7 plus and now time to upgrade and also thought I'd prefer the smaller XS (I now have an ipad pro to take on flights when I want to watch stuff so don't need a massive phone) but just cant justify the price of the XS, so will probably end up getting an XR. Annoying it doesn't come smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

I've an XS Max and won't have the equivalent upgrade next time around, it's just too big and considerably heavier than anything in the plus series. I do enjoy it though and will continue until it's time to trade/sell on. I had an X before that and enjoyed it well enough to know that's the maximum size I want. Having owned at one point or another, all the sizes to date I think the 6 was my favourite for size/weight/quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Blazer wrote: »
    After an ill-fated foray into the Mate 20 pro and Android for a few weeks I'm back into the Apple fold but slumming it with an iphone 6.
    One thing I realised is that I don't need a massive phone like the XS Max..ever since Apple launched the plus version I've always gone for it due to the extra features.
    Now that the XS has the same features as the XS Max I'll gonna switch to that...even using the 6 feels so much better than the XS Max I previously had and makes the downgrade worthwhile to a small screen.

I went X -> Xr -> SE

Granted, it's more of an extreme downgrade but aside from battery life, I've had it a few weeks now and it's perfect. Love the smaller size and the overall hardware design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Anyone on here on vodafone using a XS/Max that has wifi calling confirm if it works on airplane mode( wifi switched on)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Anyone on here on vodafone using a XS/Max that has wifi calling confirm if it works on airplane mode( wifi switched on)?

Yes, although it can be temperamental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Mr.S wrote: »
    What was the logic in going from X-> XR?

There wasn’t any really :) it was admittedly a weird decision.

Yes, although it can be temperamental.

Mine won’t work at all.

Mine won’t work at all.

Get on to Vodafone and get them to refresh your profile settings. Also, on your router open UDP ports 500 and 4500 as they are needed for wifi calling as per Apple. Also, it can be slow to be activated once your phone goes into Airplane mode i.e. wifi calling won’t show up straight away but should show within 10-20 seconds.

Get on to Vodafone and get them to refresh your profile settings. Also, on your router open UDP ports 500 and 4500 as they are needed for wifi calling as per Apple. Also, it can be slow to be activated once your phone goes into Airplane mode i.e. wifi calling won’t show up straight away but should show within 10-20 seconds.

I was looking through the settings on my router and i couldn’t find where to do that ( Vodafone Huawei HG658c) but will have another look and phone Vodafone. I am running ios 13 beta , so maybe that’s the problem. But Volte works good.

I was looking through the settings on my router and i couldn’t find where to do that ( Vodafone Huawei HG658c) but will have another look and phone Vodafone. I am running ios 13 beta , so maybe that’s the problem. But Volte works good.

Also try rebooting your router if you haven’t tried that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

back now with the XS.
    I definitely feel the size increase over the 6 so the XS max I had previously must have been massive.
    I really hope Apple put out a 4.7 inch version with the same specs as its bigger brethren.
    I'd definitely go for it.
    After 5 years of using the plus size and the XS Max the basic 6 size felt awesome to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

dodzy wrote: »

I'm in the market for a new case having had the silicone apple one, and an otter box.

Does this one cause much bulk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Vudgie wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a new case having had the silicone apple one, and an otter box.

Does this one cause much bulk?
    Not in my opinion. Go for it. a very good case and very well put together. You can always send it back for free if you don't like it;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They are constantly €649 on adverts from bricks and mortar shops in the City Centre.

You can pay less from an individual seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Out of interest it would be good to see what everyone's maximum battery capacity is now. Mine is 83%, but I hammered the battery using my phone as a hotspot when I moved house and had no broadband. I am starting the feel my phone is struggling to get through my admittedly heavy use day and might replace it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

iPhone 11, 3 months old, still at 100% and still getting best part of two days from a single charge.

iPhone 11, 3 months old, still at 100% and still getting best part of two days from a single charge.

Wrong phone model.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

I hope so after only 3 months! I was looking for people using the Xs and Xs Pro from launch in particular to answer. Phones would be just over a year old now.

Metalpanic wrote: »
    I hope so after only 3 months! I was looking for people using the Xs and Xs Pro from launch in particular to answer. Phones would be just over a year old now.

Xs Max 512 bought from new last August. 10 hours use per day. 96% remaining. Never charged wirelessly.

XS Max. 256GB bought new January 2019, 93% battery health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Not the same model but just for comparisons sake, I've an iPhone X that I bought on launch day (Nov 2017 I think), and it still has 89% battery capacity. I charge it wireless once a day on average with the odd day needing a top-up every now and then.

Interesting to see it has held up well in comparison to others here, especially after 2 years+ of daily usage.

Advertisement