Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Big difference from last year! Just checked on the preorders page and it's still only 1-2weeks dispatch. Last year's X was months waiting. Seems to be no queues to buy these phones!

Last year was a totally new phone that had loads of manufacturing problems that limited stock at launch so hard to compare based on lead times like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

excuse if this is off topic but would I be better waiting for the XR to be released to get an 8 plus? Kinda need to upgrade asap as im on a 6 with 73% battery health, but I guess I could wait another month if there are even bigger savings to be gotten.

Shn99 wrote: »
    excuse if this is off topic but would I be better waiting for the XR to be released to get an 8 plus? Kinda need to upgrade asap as im on a 6 with 73% battery health, but I guess I could wait another month if there are even bigger savings to be gotten.

Get the €29 battery from Compu B, you will make it back selling then phone when you do upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Made me laugh this morning. :)

Apple’s bigger-screen iPhones are slammed for being ‘sexist’

https://nypost.com/2018/09/14/apples-bigger-screen-iphones-are-slammed-for-being-sexist/

Rew wrote: »
    Get the €29 battery from Compu B, you will make it back selling then phone when you do upgrade

I would have but they gave me a 5 day turnaround time in Limerick..don’t have a spare phone either

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    XR is newer, but has an inferior screen compared to the 8 Plus - really, the only saving grace is the edge to edge display.

You'll get a decent discount on the 8 Plus, but won't get FaceID etc and have to put up with the larger bezels. Resale value won't be as big as the XR should you wish to upgrade in a year or two.

Personally I'd go for the XR or a standard X.

Hmm, budget is around 600 but I guess I could stretch it a bit. Will the XR screen really be that bad at 326 ppi? Battery life seems to be impressive. 3D touch is gone but Ive never had the privilege to use it on the 6.quite a few 3D touch features on the 6 have been replaced by long-touch anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Rew wrote: »
    Last year was a totally new phone that had loads of manufacturing problems that limited stock at launch so hard to compare based on lead times like that

Not so sure, but partly. There just isn't the buzz of urgency to get an order in on the media compared to last year, i for one bought a Note 9 and i bought every iphone since launch :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Shn99 wrote: »
    Will the XR screen really be that bad at 326 ppi?

It's identical to the iPhone 4.

It's identical to the iPhone 4.

It's hard to believe someone is going to pay 800 euro for one :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It's hard to believe someone is going to pay 800 euro for one :confused::confused:
    It’s larger, faster, more features....
    It’ll sell.
    A few mates of mine in the US will be getting them for their kids, seems a popular market.

• Advertisement

It’s larger, faster, more features....
    It’ll sell.
    A few mates of mine in the US will be getting them for their kids, seems a popular market.

God there's more idiots out there than i thought!

Faster these days means nothing because most smartphones are fast so difference would be neglible. I used to buy iphones because they were " faster " but when i used a S9+ could hardly tell the difference.

There must be, esp if they see something in someone’s comments that doesn’t exist. Relax, what I stated is fact. If you’ve a problem with facts, then maybe your comment applies to yourself?
    Faster these days means nothing because most smartphones are fast so difference would be neglible. I used to buy iphones because they were " faster " but when i used a S9+ could hardly tell the difference.
    My comments were in relation to the iPhone 4 in comparison to the Xr, and why someone may purchase it (not just the same type of screen).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Big difference from last year! Just checked on the preorders page and it's still only 1-2weeks dispatch. Last year's X was months waiting. Seems to be no queues to buy these phones!

This is not true. Plenty of people here had phones delivered on launch day and there were plenty available with the networks too.

I think the days of queuing for phones are over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

When I ordered last year it was around a 9 week wait with apple.

I cancelled the order and went with a carrier instead.

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is not true. Plenty of people here had phones delivered on launch day and there were plenty available with the networks too.

I think the days of queuing for phones are over.

Unfortunately it is true. After even an hour after the preorder date it had gone up by weeks and then past Christmas lol. This year is definitely different there's no pre order buzz on the media and the delivery dates didn't shoot up. The networks ?? Lol all you'd get with them is "out of stock" and they couldn't tell you when they'd have them.

eeloe wrote: »

I rest my case

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The tick years (iPhone 4, 5, 6, 7, X) will always have limited supply. Apple are only ramping up they don’t have as many machines ramping up to carve the outside of the phone out of steel/aluminium or whatever. By the time the tock year (S revision) rolls around they will be up to full speed, using all their machines to churn out the same amount of iPhones as they did 3-4 months ago cause the case is by and large the exact same thing (bar minor tweaks for 4S, 6S).

There’s nothing unusual here about a 1-2 week shipping estimate. It’s way too early to be reading the tea leaves. Better wait until the quarterly report, but when Apple hit record sales that doesn’t cause the outrage quite as much on discussion forums, no?

when Apple hit record sales that doesn’t cause the outrage quite as much on discussion forums, no?
    I don't get this.
    I mean if you are on about those that just desire the doom of Apple, ok.
    But as a consumer, a corporation is making tons of money. So what? Apple adds a healthy profit margin to their phones and is light on the extras (as discussed in terms of fast charging). They have a few hundred billion in cash, so they're not short of the reserves to innovate/develop etc...
    This is a discussion forum, why not speculate, and also wait for quarterly results?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I don't get this.
    I mean if you are on about those that just desire the doom of Apple, ok.
    But as a consumer, a corporation is making tons of money. So what? Apple adds a healthy profit margin to their phones and is light on the extras (as discussed in terms of fast charging). They have a few hundred billion in cash, so they're not short of the reserves to innovate/develop etc...
    This is a discussion forum, why not speculate, and also wait for quarterly results?
    It's just that it's tiring, we see the same thing every year, sales are down, lead times are this or that. But when Apple actually release sales their profit is this and their ASP is that. the hysteria of Apple sales are dwindling really shorts the market price, analysts do this all the time but where are they when Apple exceed the sales and ASP.

Maybe I'm just tired of debating the insane minutiae

It's just that it's tiring, we see the same thing every year, sales are down, lead times are this or that. But when Apple actually release sales their profit is this and their ASP is that. the hysteria of Apple sales are dwindling really shorts the market price, analysts do this all the time but where are they when Apple exceed the sales and ASP.

Maybe I'm just tired of debating the insane minutiae
    I stopped doubting Apple after the iPad; I didn't see it taking off as much as it did.
    But I do see a tipping point on the horizon when it comes to the phones above the €1k mark. It reminds me of the housing market here. People voicing concern for ages, until the bubble burst.
    We may not be there yet. And maybe Apple has their own foresight on this. But €1k (and above) may be reaching the point when even a biennial upgrade doesn't merit the expense. Phones at that price point are quality devices, but like the iPad, it means they remain quality devices for an extended period; so upgrades aren't as required/needed/wanted.

It seems like Apple's revenues are more down to price increase, that actually the quantity being shipping (in comparison to previous figures).
    All of this is of course in the context that Apple remains in a superb position going forward. And the upgrade fatigued don't impact them solely.

I just see a number of phones at the €500-600 range that offer close to the same experience, but at near half the cost. Interesting to see how this plays out.
    Of course, those for tied into the Apple ecosystem, it's not as easy to break free (even if you wanted to). If you have a Mac, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch.... you are conformable and change isn't always the best thing. I just think it's useful to see what the alternative has to offer as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

eeloe wrote: »

Unfortunately it is true. After even an hour after the preorder date it had gone up by weeks and then past Christmas lol. This year is definitely different there's no pre order buzz on the media and the delivery dates didn't shoot up. The networks ?? Lol all you'd get with them is "out of stock" and they couldn't tell you when they'd have them.

OK fair enough but I remember plenty on here last year who had delivery on launch day and also it was easy to get them from the networks on contract.

murpho999 wrote: »
    OK fair enough but I remember plenty on here last year who had delivery on launch day and also it was easy to get them from the networks on contract.

I got a X on launch day but I was lucky and fast on the computer at 8:01 lol. I checked a few mins later and it went to a month delivery. I was lucky. Unfortunately in the end I sold it, definitely wasn't worth the hype or price tag. I'm using a S9+ ( waiting for a note 9)which I think is a nicer phone overall to use, it surprised me.

I actually only got to sell the X when I reduced the price to half of what I paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

My order is preparing to ship since Friday, anyone else the same? Apple Watch is still processing with delivery between the 3rd and 10th Oct? How goes all of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You are calling people who buy expensive phones idiots but you bought an S9+? There’s lots cheaper than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I stopped doubting Apple after the iPad; I didn't see it taking off as much as it did.
    But I do see a tipping point on the horizon when it comes to the phones above the €1k mark. It reminds me of the housing market here. People voicing concern for ages, until the bubble burst.
    We may not be there yet. And maybe Apple has their own foresight on this. But €1k (and above) may be reaching the point when even a biennial upgrade doesn't merit the expense. Phones at that price point are quality devices, but like the iPad, it means they remain quality devices for an extended period; so upgrades aren't as required/needed/wanted.

Apple are in fact anticipating a 3-4 year cycle and getting ready for it. Others may not be so presient. Of course Apple know how many devices are still being used as well so they can estimate how much of the installer base upgrade every year. It’s not close to 50%.

It seems like Apple's revenues are more down to price increase, that actually the quantity being shipping (in comparison to previous figures).
    All of this is of course in the context that Apple remains in a superb position going forward. And the upgrade fatigued don't impact them solely.

They are selling as much as ever but have indeeed stopped increasing their y2y sales. However the install base is increasing rapidly. Apple therefore know their devices last a long time but not necessarily with the same people.
    I just see a number of phones at the €500-600 range that offer close to the same experience, but at near half the cost. Interesting to see how this plays out.
    Of course, those for tied into the Apple ecosystem, it's not as easy to break free (even if you wanted to). If you have a Mac, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch.... you are conformable and change isn't always the best thing. I just think it's useful to see what the alternative has to offer as well.

All of this has been true for years, however there are far more iPhone users than Mac or watch users, or even iPad users.

If I buy an Xr this year my 8 will be sold to one of four people who asked for it, two of them are using android devices now.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

martin_g wrote: »
    My order is preparing to ship since Friday, anyone else the same? Apple Watch is still processing with delivery between the 3rd and 10th Oct? How goes all of you?

What’s your delivery date for the iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

25th Sept nokia211

Others may not be so presient.
    I don't see how. Most others aren't near the €1k mark; so possibly not as much an issue for them. Even so, I reckon they all plan for such situations.
    They are selling as much as ever
    Wasn't iPhone X sales down? Slightly, but still down. iPad sales I don't believe have hit the highs from 4-years ago (that was the lats report I saw on them)?
    If I buy an Xr this year my 8 will be sold to one of four people who asked for it, two of them are using android devices now.
    iPhones, iPads, they all hold good value (they should for the initial cost).
    For anyone on an 8, the sell-on value goes a long way to pay for a Xr.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »

They didn't test the XR just the XS and X

Advertisement