Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There is meant to be plenty of stock available tomorrow with the networks, some of their pre-paid pricing is actually cheaper than Apple.ie

Might be worth a few phone calls.

isn't that always the case? they're usually 100-150 cheaper but they're locked to that network and require a certain topup usually 100-150 to be able to request the unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Mine has shipped to for the 25th with DHL. Has anyone’s tracking update yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

I doubt it will update till it’s picked up by the carrier this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wolfi

Same here, I still hope I will get it tomorrow.
    Tracking number is dead at the moment, but this is DHL Express - few times I got stuff from Germany delivered to Ireland in 24h.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

isn't that always the case? they're usually 100-150 cheaper but they're locked to that network and require a certain topup usually 100-150 to be able to request the unlock.

Not 100% sure tbh, will the eSim be unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no one knows until they add in the support with it with 12.1 (I assume).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It’s the same PPI as the iPhone 8 & 7 just to name a couple. Which is a non issue.

It's not the same PPI as my 8+ which has 401 PPO and the Xr has a bigger screen so it's definitely not a "non issue".

1080p screens are no issue these days and that's what this screen should be.

Cheaper phones than the Xr have it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If you're buying from a carrier, the sim card port and the esim are locked to that carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Foolishcharlie

Just got a text from DHL that my iPhone is scheduled for delivery tomorrow even though Apple still says 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Just got a text from DHL that my iPhone is scheduled for delivery tomorrow even though Apple still says 25th
    like wise:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Exactly the same just now - dhl say tomorrow, Apple say 25th (lol).

I had a pair of airpods delivered last week with exactly the same messages, they arrived the next day in the afternoon, so i'm pretty certain i'll get the phone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CollinsTara

I think optimal memory is 64gb and just buy icloud space. Unless you wanna listen to music and watch movies offline somewhere in the mountains.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah same here all my tracking gone live

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wolfi

Same here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Mine too. Wahoo. And I can select a pick up point. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not the same PPI as my 8+ which has 401 PPO and the Xr has a bigger screen so it's definitely not a "non issue".

1080p screens are no issue these days and that's what this screen should be.

Cheaper phones than the Xr have it.

Share some of the reports from those who have had a hands on with the Xr who say the display resolution is an issue? Because the ones I’ve watched and read haven’t said it’s an issue.

326PPI is more than fine for the majority of people.

If someone wants a higher PPI then the Xs is an option.

1080p suits the form factor of the 8 Plus and older plus models perfectly but nobody buying the Xr wants a wider phone with ugly bezels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

wolfi wrote: »
    Same here :)

moi aussi

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Share some of the reports from those who have had a hands on with the Xr who say the display resolution is an issue? Because the ones I’ve watched and read haven’t said it’s an issue.

326PPI is more than fine for the majority of people.

If someone wants a higher PPI then the Xs is an option.

1080p suits the form factor of the 8 Plus and older plus models perfectly but nobody buying the Xr wants a wider phone with ugly bezels.

I don't get why you are making excuses for Apple.

1080p suits the 8 plus but not a bigger Xr? Bizzare.

Also, it 's not about what is fine for majority of people, it's about Apple's strategy.

The Xr is not a cheap phone but it has a second rate screen to try and get people to spend extra on the Xs which is exactly what you are confirming.

There is no need for this screen in this day and age and they should be putting a better display in a phone that will cost over €700.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I think most people will be more jarred by the size of the bezel on the Xr - It's very thick compared to iPhone X

apple-iphone-xr-new.jpg

apple-iphone-x.jpg

Screen Resolution isn't a massive deal - Going from an 8 to Xr will feel like a nice upgrade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The XR is a couple of hundred quid cheaper because, amongst other things, the screen isn't the same as the XS. It's not a poor screen by any stretch of the imagination - it's just not top of the range.

The XR is not just a maguffin to make people buy the XS, it's the lowest cost device in a range of three top-end devices.

This is hardly a new tactic in designing a product range. Different products at different price points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

1080p suits the 8 plus but not a bigger Xr? Bizzare.

You just don’t understand the mathematics behind it and that’s perfectly fine too.

Dades wrote: »
    The XR is a couple of hundred quid cheaper because, amongst other things, the screen isn't the same as the XS. It's not a poor screen by any stretch of the imagination - it's just not top of the range.

The XR is not just a maguffin to make people buy the XS, it's the lowest cost device in a range of three top-end devices.

This is hardly a new tactic in designing a product range. Different products at different price points.

My point is that the Xr is still by no means a cheap phone and it has the same screen as the 4s.

I think it is a strategy to get people to go for the higher end as the major selling point of any phone nowadays is the display.

I think it's the same thinking of not including a 3.5mm dongle. It's not penny pinching by Apple as many claim but a move to get people to buy more of their wireless headsets which they would not do if a dongle is included.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think most people will be more jarred by the size of the bezel on the Xr - It's very thick compared to iPhone X

apple-iphone-xr-new.jpg

apple-iphone-x.jpg

Screen Resolution isn't a massive deal - Going from an 8 to Xr will feel like a nice upgrade.

The Xr is not meant to compete with the X, the Xs is its replacement, so compare that to the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

Got a text from Eir to say nightline will deliver the phone tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

My point is that the Xr is still by no means a cheap phone and it has the same screen as the 4s.

I think it is a strategy to get people to go for the higher end as the major selling point of any phone nowadays is the display.

I think it's the same thinking of not including a 3.5mm dongle. It's not penny pinching by Apple as many claim but a move to get people to buy more of their wireless headsets which they would not do if a dongle is included.

The regular joe soap isnt going to know about the screen tbh, XR will be v popular with the younger generation(colours ect). Itll still be their best seller, Apple have already revised component orders for the the XR in anticipation of a surge in demand(will be 20m read to ship next month compared to 5m XS Max). As for not including the dongle..Its far fetched to suggest theyre trying to drive €170 AirPod sales by removing a €10 dongle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Shn99 wrote: »
    As for not including the dongle..Its far fetched to suggest theyre trying to drive €170 AirPod sales by removing a €10 dongle

Not to mention the AirPods are wildly successful without having to drive sales to them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Just got an email from CPW.

No phones for me tomorrow! And I pre ordered pretty much straight away.

Shn99 wrote: »
    The regular joe soap isnt going to know about the screen tbh, XR will be v popular with the younger generation(colours ect). Itll still be their best seller, Apple have already revised component orders for the the XR in anticipation of a surge in demand(will be 20m read to ship next month compared to 5m XS Max).

No doubt this phone will sell well, that is not my point.

Just find it poor from Apple to include a screen with less resolution when cheaper phones have a displays with higher.

As for not including the dongle..Its far fetched to suggest theyre trying to drive €170 AirPod sales by removing a €10 dongle

How is it far fetched? Why have they done it so?
    They're only saving about 50ct in costs, if even that.

Rew wrote: »
    Not to mention the AirPods are wildly successful without having to drive sales to them.

Of course Apple would not want them to be even more succesful.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Advertisement