Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Mo14 wrote: »
    I got the max. The screen is massive of course but seems pretty usable. Need to figure out how to use it now as it's my first iPhone

What phone had you before? Can you get control centre one handed?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Marty Bird wrote: »
    What phone had you before? Can you get control centre one handed?

Nexus 6p

I can get it one handed but it requires a little shuffle of the hand to move up the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mo14 wrote: »
    Nexus 6p

I can get it one handed but it requires a little shuffle of the hand to move up the phone

I think with this big screen that "reachability" function is very important.

Make sure you have it switch on in accessibility settings.

Then swipe down from the gesture bar in any open app or the bottom of iPhone's home page to pull down the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

ArthurG wrote: »
    i cannot believe anybody is stupid enough to pay so much money for a phone!!
    i spent 700 on a set of wheels (only - no tyres etc), never felt so guilty but hell did they transform the ride, zooming along. Not saying it is worth it but effortless cycling was achieved, the bike itself cost 6x that though, more or less all components changed to Carbon now. I can't lock it anywhere though - that sucks!

Cough.

In the space of 2 minutes your completely destroyed his argument :D Top stuff from you ArthurG.

I know if it was between a set of metal (or carbon) wheels or a device that can do hundreds of powerful tasks in such a small pocketable size I’d pick the phone :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

DubDJ wrote: »
    In the space of 2 minutes your completely destroyed his argument :D Top stuff from you ArthurG.

Not to mention he is a Bitcoin advocate which is prob the single most wasteful thing on the planet these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wolfi

Collected from DHL depo 8:30 before work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

Mine was delivered about 30 mins ago. Can't open it yet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

odd thing is the placement of control centre, apple knew this device was coming yet they still stuck it in the worst location imaginable. was in a great place in the iPad (multi-tasking area) on iOS 11. I still find it hard to get control centre on iOS 12 on iPhone 7 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just received here the one I bought for my daughter.

She's away for 2 weeks and said under no circumstances am I to open it.

Gonna be long two weeks, Would like to see what I bought haha

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Hi from my Xs Max, purchased from iconnect this morning!

Initial impressions, absolute beast of a phone. Screen is unreal but the size is not bad at all. Software is butter smooth as expected, build quality is superb.

Don't regret a thing.

• Advertisement

Initial impressions, absolute beast of a phone. Screen is unreal but the size is not bad at all. Software is butter smooth as expected, build quality is superb.

Don't regret a thing.

Many buying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just received here the one I bought for my daughter.

She's away for 2 weeks and said under no circumstances am I to open it.

Gonna be long two weeks, Would like to see what I bought haha

Jesus , that's love right there , I'd have it open 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Ifixit results on the new phones

The Taptic Engine inside the XS Max has been resized—big phone, bigger vibrations
    The XS Max also gets an extended logic board, with one of the display connectors moved to the bottom.
    Camera: the wide-angle sensor size has been increased by 32%. Pixel size has also been bumped, bringing better low-light performance and contributing to the new “Smart HDR” feature.
    There was one thing Apple forgot to mention about the new camera: all that 32% had to go somewhere, and it turns out the camera bump had to grow a little—your iPhone X case may not fit your iPhone XS.
    The XS packs a 10.13 Wh battery (2,659 mAh at 3.81 V), weighing 39.5 g—slightly downgraded from last year’s X. But this decrease in capacity comes with a wild new battery configuration. Rather than using two cells to fill this L-shaped recess, Apple has constructed an all-new single-cell battery.
    The XS Max battery unsurprisingly comes out on top capacity-wise, with 12.08 Wh (3,179 mAh at 3.80 V), and weighing 46.6 g. No single-cell here, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Don't regret a thing.
    Are u upgrading from a 7 or 8plus ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Rew wrote: »
    Not to mention he is a Bitcoin advocate which is prob the single most wasteful thing on the planet these days.

we shall see young grasshopper ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

So after a few phone calls, and a 150km round trip, we’re now the proud owners of 2 x 256gb Space Grey’s.

Really wish Eir would have stocked the gold but beggars can’t be choosers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

eeloe wrote: »
    So after a few phone calls, and a 150km round trip, we’re now the proud owners of 2 x 256gb Space Grey’s.

Really wish Eir would have stocked the gold but beggars can’t be choosers!

Can I ask where you got one?

1 was a pre order in Carphonewarehouse.

1 was in Eir, Wilton Shopping centre, last 256 they had, lots of 64gb tho apparently

Marty Bird wrote:
    Many buying ?

Got there around 8, opening time was 9. It was first come first serve and I was the second one there. After me though, lots of people came and unfortunately many were left disappointed.

• Advertisement

I will be picking up a SG 256 max in CompuB Dundrum in the morning they still have limited stock of this model.

cramp wrote:
    Are u upgrading from a 7 or 8plus ??

Neither, from a Galaxy S8 actually. My first ever iPhone after being a life long android user and I am enjoying it so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Rew wrote: »

lol and this is what you base your theory on. interesting, enjoy your phone!

brevity wrote: »
    Mine was delivered about 30 mins ago. Can't open it yet though...

Finally getting to play around with it. Lovely device - really well made.

Smaller than what I was expecting though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

iPhone Xs, Xs Max and XR battery capacity and RAM have been leaked, Apple are required to submit these details to the Chinese TENAA to sell the phones in China.

iPhone Xs: 2,658 mAh, 4GB RAM
    iPhone Xs Max: 3,174 mAh, 4GB RAM
    iPhone XR: 2,942 mAh, 3GB RAM

And to compare it to the 2017 iPhones...
    iPhone X: 2,716 mAh, 3GB RAM
    iPhone 8 Plus: 2,691 mAh, 3GB RAM
    iPhone 8: 1,831 mAh, 2GB RAM.

Interesting to see a smaller battery on the Xs despite Apple claiming its 30min longer than the X. Assuming this can be done through performance and power optimization.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Silly question- why are a good few of you getting your phones from eir? Good deal or are they the only ones stocking them so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Silly question- why are a good few of you getting your phones from eir? Good deal or are they the only ones stocking them so far?

Eir has a fairly decent network throughout the country. Second only to Vodafone but not as expensive as the eye watering Vodafone plans.

I was due an upgrade and didn’t want to have to pay a deposit by switching provider. *touching wood* I’ve never really had much problems with eir and the entire process was seamless *touching wood*

The price of the phone was the same anyway and eir provide more on their data plan.

I’m with eir business. The plan cannot be beaten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Surprised to be able to walk into Three in Blanchardstown today and pick up a 256gb Xs SG on an upgrade for my wife. They had the Xs Max on display and I’m very tempted but not due an upgrade til next year.

Advertisement