Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working while on maternity benefit

• 13-09-2018 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭

My wife, who is a Schedule E employee, gets three months maternity pay from her company. She is planning on taking a further six months unpaid maternity leave. She will receive State Maternity Benefit during that time.

She is considering working some days, maybe once a fortnight, during months four to nine, if she can agree a good rate with her employer. Would she lose Maternity Benefit by doing so?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Are you allowed to start maternity benefit 3 months after giving birth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Wesser wrote: »
    Are you allowed to start maternity benefit 3 months after giving birth?

You get paid it in the first three months also. If your job provides maternity pay during that period they effectively give you the difference between your maternity benefit and your salary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

If you work while on maternity benefit, your entitlement to it is withdrawn, and if you were in receipt of maternity benefit while also working you would have to pay it back if/when SW found out about it. I don't think there's any way around it, maternity benefit exists so that you will not have to work and care for a newborn baby at the same time. If you are fit to work and can make other arrangements for childcare then there is no need for you to be on maternity benefit and on those grounds it would be withdrawn. So it's an either-or situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

My wife, who is a Schedule E employee, gets three months maternity pay from her company. She is planning on taking a further six months unpaid maternity leave. She will receive State Maternity Benefit during that time.

Thanks

My understanding is the state maternity benefit is 26 weeks/6 months from start of maternity leave, not from months 3-9 of maternity leave. So no pay once 6 months are up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement