Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Éireann city services

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGiver wrote: »
    Why is this needed? Driver should drive and ensure safety of passengers. End of.

Who should be resoonsible for revenue protection then?

Oh - and i never said I'm ok with cash, just that its the fastest option right now. I prefer to leave utopian dreaming to others, and focus on the here-and-now. In a spciety where one person in every six cannot read, cash has some handy understandability qualities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Who should be resoonsible for revenue protection then?

The Machines, as in any other bigger city on the continent. :P
    That's the fundamental point you cannot grasp.
    Oh - and i never said I'm ok with cash, just that its the fastest option right now. I prefer to leave utopian dreaming to others, and focus on the here-and-now. In a spciety where one person in every six cannot read, cash has some handy understandability qualities
    I mean really, have you been to Europe? Utopian? I can tell you that the city I'm from has had automated ticket machines since early 1980s (basically as long as I can remember), so that's 30 years ago and that wasn't even a market economy back then. The situation in e.g. West Germany would have been even more ahead, maybe 10 more years.

All cities on the continent are at or are moving to fully electronic solutions at the moment - RFID tag in/out, text tickets, apps etc. but you say that cash is an option. I just can't comprehend this. We have a fundamental philosophical difference and difference in outlook it seems, so I'll remind you again that it's year 2018 and that perhaps you could make a trip to the continent to see that it's all doable, it's not utopia. They will also tell you there that they've had that utopia for 20 years :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

McGiver wrote:
    From which I imply that you are fine with cash i.e. status quo. Very backward solution. Cash is not an option, it's as simple as that. And "printing out" tickets is insane! It's 2018.

What is the policy exactly regarding this middle door business do you know? When using the Leap on DB if you have to go through the driver you can hear a constant flow of beeps on the machine on the right as you enter. You can only imagine the time lost if this option was not working. But no such thing in Galway. I would say 90% of passengers have a card with DB. Very unusual to see anyone use cash.
    People fumbling for cash drive me up the wall. (There should be a law about it).
    I have never taken a city direct bus but isn't it strange, as far as I am aware, that some of their busses (to knocknacarra?) start their journey west from Eyre Square outside the Bank by heading up bohermore going to Foster street and around the square again. What kind of asreways planning is that?

bobbyss wrote: »
    What is the policy exactly regarding this middle door business do you know?
    I don't think there is any policy. Looks like the hind door is fro wheelchair users. But BE are too arsed to think how they could use it to speed up loading/unloading. It's a typical state-owned enterprise mentality - "who cares we get paid anyway, and if not we'll go for a strike". Customer service not a strong trait of most state-owned businesses :)

...the city I'm from has had automated ticket machines since early 1980s (basically as long as I can remember), so that's 30 years ago and that wasn't even a market economy back then. The situation in e.g. West Germany would have been even more ahead, maybe 10 more years.

.... but you say that cash is an option.

There is a fundamental point you are missing. German cities are mainly populated by ... Germans. The people who come into Irish pubs and say "Hello, the sign says that the music will start at 9:30. It is now 9:35 and there is no music. What is happening please". That is - they follow the rules, and expect other people to do the same. Irish cities, on the other hand, are mainly populated by people whose survival for decades depended on sticking it to the man. Following the rules, complying with how machines tell you to behave, is just not a strong suite.

Whether or not any of us believe cash should be an option is irrelevant, and not something I've commented on. Right now, it is an option, whether we like it or not. And it's faster than the machine-based alternative. Until the latter changes, I don't support removing it.

I have never taken a city direct bus but isn't it strange, as far as I am aware, that some of their busses (to knocknacarra?) start their journey west from Eyre Square outside the Bank by heading up bohermore going to Foster street and around the square again. What kind of asreways planning is that?

It's a hang-over from the days when the 411 went down Dock Rd, thru Spanish Pde and up Henry St. Then, it made sense. Now it's just silly. The people to complain to are the NTA, who approve route licenses.

Looks like the hind door is fro wheelchair users. But BE are too arsed to think how they could use it to speed up loading/unloading. It's a typical state-owned enterprise mentality - "who cares we get paid anyway, and if not we'll go for a strike". Customer service not a strong trait of most state-owned businesses :)

I have no idea how you got the idea that the middle door is for wheelchair users. On all three new DD buses that I've been on recently, the extendable ramp for wheelchair users is mounted on the front door beside the driver (who has to leave his/her seat to operate it).

I agree that there does not seem to be effective operational policy about using the middle door. For years, there were rumours that Dublin Bus drivers were personally liable if they opened the middle door and a passenger injured themselves getting on/off through it - and that the situation was different for the front door. I have no idea if this is true, or applies here: I expect it's not - but stranger things have happened in this litigation-crazy state.

Personally, I've observed the middle doors opened at terminal stops about 50% of the time. When used well, they have made a big difference to loading times.

• Advertisement

There is a fundamental point you are missing. German cities are mainly populated by ... Germans. The people who come into Irish pubs and say "Hello, the sign says that the music will start at 9:30. It is now 9:35 and there is no music. What is happening please". That is - they follow the rules, and expect other people to do the same. Irish cities, on the other hand, are mainly populated by people whose survival for decades depended on sticking it to the man. Following the rules, complying with how machines tell you to behave, is just not a strong suite.

I'm not from Germany btw, I just threw in the West Germany to see the response as I expected some silly excuses, and I'm proven correct.

Literally the whole continental Europe works like this. This had nothing to do with the Germans. Automated ticketing machines and later on electronic validation system are totally ubiquitous.

If you think that Irish people are so stupid that you think they can't grasp the concept, albeit being about 35 years behind in this matter, then I don't know what to tell you. This is the most silliest argument I've heard.

I don't think Irish people are any less intelligent or have lesser ability to learn new things and tech than any continentals. If Irish people learned how to drive cars, use mobile phones, computers, smartphones, and boards.ie, then they will learn how to use cash free public transport using self validation in the no time.

Yet again the 405 kept jumping on and off the screen so I rang Ceannt Station but no reply except to be told to try later. No voicemail service in fact. Why is that? If you ring most companies and can't get through usually they facilitate by allowing you to leave a messsge. Not everybody can call back as people are on the move.

Once I did get through a number of months ago. The lady I spoke to said the tracking device they use happened to be broken that particular day. ( I am not quite sure who can check this device, the person who answers the phone or only inspector?)

On another occasion I was given the number of the relevant inspector/supervisor and the first question I've asked was how did I get his number.

What is the experience of people who call the station to get info on busses? Shouldn't inspectors' phones be readily available and displayed on website along with name etc. I can't see why they apparently aren't. They know exactly where the busses are and probably know the reason they are late and eta etc.

If you think that Irish people are so stupid that you think they can't grasp the concept, albeit being about 35 years behind in this matter, then I don't know what to tell you. This is the most silliest argument I've heard.

I don't think Irish people are any less intelligent or have lesser ability to learn new things and tech than any continentals. If Irish people learned how to drive cars, use mobile phones, computers, smartphones, and boards.ie, then they will learn how to use cash free public transport using self validation in the no time.

You're the only one who said anything about "stupid".

Not following the rules was an essential survival skill in this country for a very long time. It will take generations for that to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭wotausername

Indeed.

And the so called "cross city outer zone single fare for journeys longer than 7.5km" is quite a change indeed.

My summary with specific numbers is here: https://news.galwaytransport.info/2018/11/2019-galway-bus-train-fare-increases.html

It remains to be seen if they only apply it for cross city travel, or if it's for all trips longer than 7.5km.

Either way, if you are paying cash and will make two "outer zone" journeys in a day, then getting a day-saver ticket is better value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Yet again the 405 kept jumping on and off the screen so I rang Ceannt Station but no reply except to be told to try later. No voicemail service in fact. Why is that? If you ring most companies and can't get through usually they facilitate by allowing you to leave a messsge. Not everybody can call back as people are on the move.

Once I did get through a number of months ago. The lady I spoke to said the tracking device they use happened to be broken that particular day. ( I am not quite sure who can check this device, the person who answers the phone or only inspector?)

On another occasion I was given the number of the relevant inspector/supervisor and the first question I've asked was how did I get his number.

What is the experience of people who call the station to get info on busses? Shouldn't inspectors' phones be readily available and displayed on website along with name etc. I can't see why they apparently aren't. They know exactly where the busses are and probably know the reason they are late and eta etc.

It would be nice but nowhere answers phones anymore. You're better off using Twitter. Might be a bit of a cookie-cutter response, but it will get a response since it's public. I think they're required to respond to emails (unless I'm mixing them up with someone else) so it's a good choice for establishing a pattern of fault (e.g. 405 not showing up).

You're the only one who said anything about "stupid".
    Not following the rules was an essential survival skill in this country for a very long time. It will take generations for that to change.
    A bit defeatist imho. With this attitude any progress isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Had what I take to be a 409 change its display as it came down Doughiska road, cycled through display off, Centre of town, wound up on Tullamore then refuse to stop at one of the main stops on Doughiska rd last night.
    Was the driver stoned or something.
    Single decker bus, around 10 past 7.
    Seemed to stop at every other stop as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What's the fare to Tullamore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wonder if it was the poster that had the problem and not the driver ,took a City bus service and ended up in Tullamore

Stevolende wrote: »
    Had what I take to be a 409 change its display as it came down Doughiska road, cycled through display off, Centre of town, wound up on Tullamore then refuse to stop at one of the main stops on Doughiska rd last night.
    Was the driver stoned or something.
    Single decker bus, around 10 past 7.
    Seemed to stop at every other stop as well.

Yeah, I think I was on that bus. Driver is very new I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,436 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah, I think I was on that bus. Driver is very new I think.

He must be if he was driving a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Wondered when I saw the bus display say a destination outside of normal routes does the display have a database of every potential destination across the country or something. Certainly didn't seem to know what he was doing. Ha d he been trying to find the correct destination thing since he turned around at Parkmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

The park and ride project is another galway city joke .
    Poor numbers using it .
    Buses and drivers taken off normal routes at a busy time to facilitate a broken project .
    Through out the city especially in eyre square people waiting at bus stops for buses / drivers that have been withdrawn to run park and ride .

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Poor numbers using it .
    Buses and drivers taken off normal routes at a busy time to facilitate a broken project .
    Through out the city especially in eyre square people waiting at bus stops for buses / drivers that have been withdrawn to run park and ride .

Bus Eireann has nothing to do with P+R. Its Callinan's / City link who are doing it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

westgolf wrote: »
    Poor numbers using it .

Bus Eireann has nothing to do with P+R. Its Callinan's / City link who are doing it this time.
    No point letting that get in the way of a good rant though. I say we disregard your post and embrace the rage.

You would despair. Seeing College Road outbound packed from begining to end with a number of busses stuck in the middle of all of that. Just crazy. Is there ANY street in the city that you could have exclusively for busses to fly in and out? A pity they didn't put two extra lanes on the Q Bridge when building it. Would it have cost that much extra at that point?

Bus lanes on the Q-Bridge ... for all the mythical people in Knockers who work in Parkmore ... wouldn't make a bit of difference for people shopping in town.

The ones on the Dublin Rd do make a big difference. More would be better for sure. But they ain't useless.

Bus lanes on the Q-Bridge ... for all the mythical people in Knockers who work in Parkmore ... wouldn't make a bit of difference for people shopping in town.

The ones on the Dublin Rd do make a big difference. More would be better for sure. But they ain't useless.

Whizzing down the Dublin road from gmit to the bons and passing all that traffic is great until the bits after that when you're stuck. So yes it does help.

Extra bus lanes on the bridge would absolutely make a difference if I was going headford direction. Not everyone is going into town. On a bus out of dublin you are in a lane all the way out past Palmerston I think if not further. Passing all that traffic is fantastic. That's what we should be aiming for in Galway. Bus lanes all the way in and out. No messing with bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

You would despair. Seeing College Road outbound packed from begining to end with a number of busses stuck in the middle of all of that. Just crazy. Is there ANY street in the city that you could have exclusively for busses to fly in and out?
    It is a good idea. One solution is Bus Gates.
    City Council should just install a BUS Gates on College Road on the East side of the City and a BUS Gate on Salmon Weir Bridge on the West side of the City.
    Would start with then been operational for certain periods of the day like 07h00 -> 10h00 and 15h00-> 19h00

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Is there ANY street in the city that you could have exclusively for busses to fly in and out?
    Very simple.
    College Road and Lough Atalia Road
    Convert into one way system, one lane to a bus lane and possible tram lane in future. Readjust bus route so bus travels inbound and outbound quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

zell12 wrote: »
    Very simple.
    Convert into one way system, one lane to a bus lane and possible tram lane in future. Readjust bus route so bus travels inbound and outbound quickly

B&B owners on College Road would definitely not allow this to happen. Also what about home owners in The Green etc.

FitzShane wrote: »
    B&B owners on College Road would definitely not allow this to happen. Also what about home owners in The Green etc.
    I think last time they did the trial run, part of the issue was that the elderly on College Road were stuck because they no longer had a bus passing that went into town (or out of, can't remember which direction of the flow was).

Not sure why the B&Bs would complain as long as there's a car flow in one direction past them. College Road is a sh1t show of a road at the moment. Wouldn't endear me to stay there if I was an out-of-towner. They'll probably still complain though. Cause people are moany gits :pac:

zell12 wrote: »
    Very simple.

But no one is going to destinations in LA road. Pointless taking a bus down there. Enough are going to or from places in College Rd (council office, sports hround, sheltered accommodation) that two way buses are better.

• Advertisement

But no one is going to destinations in LA road. Pointless taking a bus down there. Enough are going to or from places in College Rd (council office, sports hround, sheltered accommodation) that two way buses are better.

Close off College Road to all except buses and local cars and use Lough Atalia for car traffic?

Advertisement