Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classroom Management

Options
  • 13-09-2018 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all,

Just a few musings on your own classroom management. I would consider myself to have a zero tolerance approach to general behaviour. I have no issue giving students notes/punishment for whispering/ answering back / disorganisation and am always willing to ring parents. Obviously I consider this approach important for my own sanity as well as important for everyone in the classroom environment. I don't allow students to be distracted- or at least I do my best.
    I am well aware that this doesn't make me the most popular teacher in the school. Anyway, I know I'm not there to be the students' friends but does anyone else feel that the stricter approach just isn't common nowadays? I am aware of all of the restorative behaviour approaches (and have tried these) but still revert back to my old strict ways. Then I have some parents/ children moaning that I'm too strict, etc. How does everyone else get on with it? I should clarify that I'm not screaming all day- I rarely raise my voice! :pac: Rather, I try my best to nip everything in the bud asap.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Parents who moan are the same ones who will complain if their little ASBO doesn't get good grades. Meet with parent, explain how you want to give everyone the chance to make the most of your class, not you wasting time on correcting kids over and over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Depends on age of students, the respect of the students and experience built up. A LC higher level class would give zero discipline issues without saying anything whereas a rowdy 2nd year class would require a more structured management of the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

to be fair im in the same mindset as yourself pretty strict with younger classes but i find when they get 5 and 6th yr. i rarely have to to talk about discpline; classes run so much smoother and efficient and the odd time i even crack a smile. i promote a culture of respect and learning in my classroom which is well received and after teaching 13 yrs its always worked for and i still have a very good relationship with my students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cestmoi2

Thanks, I should mention that the groups in question are second years. It just can be so emotionally exhausting. I don’t have any issues with senior classes thankfully. Glad to know others have the same thinking 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

2nd years and 4th years are always the toughest groups to teach.

The apathy is unreal from them.

Boundaries have to be set and you have to firm, fair and most of all, consistent when it comes to following through with phone calls home, notes in journal etc.

20 of my 31 periods are with 5th and 6th years and it’s a very different environment.
    So much work gets covered and it’s a very collaborative and hands on approach especially with the practical element to my subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think a lot has to do with your own toleration levels and personality. It can be tiresome handing out notes and might be stressful for you. If the group is large you might have little choice but I find with smaller groups its easier to be rational with them ie talk to them and get them to tune into the subject. Sometimes when Im too strict it kills the atmosphere and kids are less likely to participate.
    However ,when all is said and done-when you are explaining something /writing on board-then you have a right to silence. Need it.
    But whatever works for you. Sometimes too strict teachers burn out quicker than those a bit more relaxed in my experience. So all depends on your own inner workings and health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Im subbing at the minute and find senior classes so much easier to deal with. its all supervision from construction to maths and everything in between. its a very average or below average performing mixed school. second years are the worst all right. i have cracked how to behave with first years, zero tolerance and you have them. lose a class or a group in first year and it seems to be an awful long way back. last year in the PME i was too soft with first years but i was steeled and pretty firm with 2nd years. i see now this year my third years are really good and easily dealt with while its tough enough with some first years. overall though the subbing/ supervision is quite boring you really get great practice at class management across a huge variety of classes. in a week i could have 500 out of the 650 pupils in the school. I really only have trouble with 1 child, he has ODD and I really cant deal with him.

Advertisement