Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refused deposit even though I went through with service

• 13-09-2018 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi

I booked a room at a pub which required a deposit (and no other payments). When I booked it the manager said I will get my deposit returned if rules are followed etc.

The day went perfect and when I asked for the deposit back (and showed the receipt), the manager said that he will only be able to give me a voucher equal to the deposit which can only be spent in the pub.

Is this legal? He never told me that my deposit was to be turned into a voucher. His reasoning was that the deposit was used to cover the heating, staff etc for the additional room (it was a small room).

I never signed anything but am pretty upset that he never told me that I was to never get the money back.

Am I right to demand money back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is this legal? He never told me that my deposit was to be turned into a voucher. His reasoning was that the deposit was used to cover the heating, staff etc for the additional room (it was a small room).

I'd be interested to know if refunding a deposit in voucher form is legal myself. I sort of doubt it.

I'm not sure from what you say if it was a booking deposit or security deposit. Sounds like it started as a booking deposit and changed to a security deposit. Doubt it if they can do this either but it really depends on the original conversion & agreement.

I can't imagine any circumstances where a booking or security deposit can be used to cover heating or staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 confuse1298

There was only one staff member and he was running the bar. The room was actually kinda cold (it was underground).

I made the booking with a friend who witnessed the conversation and heard the manager say I will get my money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I made the booking with a friend who witnessed the conversation and heard the manager say I will get my money back.

Well the name "deposit" does suggest that you will get it back. You can have a non refundable deposit where if you cancel at the last minute you won't get the deposit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Poster, you also have this issue in Consumer issues.
    Pls nominate just one forum asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 confuse1298

We'll keep it in the consumer section, sorry!

Mod
    Ok, thanks for replying so quickly. Closing this thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement