Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit not returned for room booking

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 confuse1298

Should I ask for the pub's terms and conditions? it's not on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Should I ask for the pub's terms and conditions? it's not on their website.

at this point i don't see any value in it. They could (and possibly will) give you t&Cs that back their point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

This is completely wrong, he cannot do that. He must refund the deposit either in cash or back on the card. Voucher is not acceptable as an alternative.
    Cowboys like this really sicken my sh1t. the deposit was paid in good faith and now he's trying to take advantage.

If he is jus tthe manager, can you go over his head to the owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

L1011 wrote:
    The chip and PIN element is really only relevant when claiming fraud, not something like this.

This is claiming fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Rackstar wrote: »
    Paying using chip and pin is paying with chip and pin.

Completely irrelevant.

Care to explain your chip and pin theory?

Chip & Pin means the customer 100% verified and put through the transaction at the point of sale. You cant not know you did it.

Vs

The business charging your card (Card numbers) without your pin, without you knowing they charged it. Like a website that has your details charging you for something you didn't order.

All he was saying was that the OP would have a stronger case for chargeback if it was not chip and pin. So it was relevant at the time. Given the time frame since the deposit was placed id imagine its totally out of the question regardless.

OP like others have said, return today be firm & polite. Ask for their compromise to YOUR cash in writing. Advise them politely you will be opening a case with the small claims court and that you will publish the lead up & outcome of that case on social media & local paper etc.

They should not be long changing their tune if you are in the right.

Business acting like this really grinds my gears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is claiming fraud.

It's claiming misselling. Not that a card has been used fraudulently

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It is not lawful.

I'd go over his head to the owner or come in with someone in authority.

If he refuses to give it back I'd be going to my local cop shop to report theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 confuse1298

Someone mentioned above that there should be written communication (so I have evidence), so I just sent the pub an email and am waiting for a response. Will send another one after the weekend if they don't get back to me.

Hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

I will update this thread as we advance.

by the way thanks everybody for all the advice and ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

daheff wrote: »
    card schemes differentiate between customer present & not present payments(usually called moto). Their view is that if chip & pin are used the customer made the transaction- chargeback is less likely to be successful. If chip & pin are not used the likelihood of fraud is much higher, so onus is on merchant in most chargeback scenarios.

i was reading an article yesterday on how the moto transactions will soon require additional verification factor(eg verified by visa/biometric scanning).... which will bring moto transactions in line with cardholder present ones.

The OP is not denying that they made the transaction, chip and pin is irrelevant. It just indicates that the OP / OPs card was present for the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Chip & Pin means the customer 100% verified and put through the transaction at the point of sale. You cant not know you did it.

Vs

The business charging your card (Card numbers) without your pin, without you knowing they charged it. Like a website that has your details charging you for something you didn't order.

All he was saying was that the OP would have a stronger case for chargeback if it was not chip and pin. So it was relevant at the time. Given the time frame since the deposit was placed id imagine its totally out of the question regardless.

OP like others have said, return today be firm & polite. Ask for their compromise to YOUR cash in writing. Advise them politely you will be opening a case with the small claims court and that you will publish the lead up & outcome of that case on social media & local paper etc.

They should not be long changing their tune if you are in the right.

Business acting like this really grinds my gears.

The OP is not denying that they made the transaction, chip and pin is irrelevant. It just indicates that the OP / OPs card was present for the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Nothing to do with chip and pin rules.

What was promised was not delivered, hence it falls into charge back condition where implied contract was not fulfilled.

Quite simple to make the claim by calling your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Enough on chip & pin. It’s a red herring here. Back to helping the OP please

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd start to wonder if he pocketed it tbh. Id be finding out who the owners are and go there.

Very suspect and never heard of this carry on

Advertisement