If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a 39" or 40" TV - are LG and Samsung worth paying extra?

Options
  • 13-09-2018 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a 39" or 40" TV - a 43" is too big for the room it's going in.

I'm hoping to get something around the E350 mark and I've seen a few brands at that price, eg JVC, Sharp, Philips, Walker, Nordmende and Digihome.

For example, I saw a Sharp 40" "Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV" at E349.

I also saw a Sharp LC40CFG4041K (40 inch LED TV 1080p HD Freeview HD) on RicherSounds for E259 - I'm guessing you get what you pay for, that the quality wouldn't be that good??

It seems like most people recommend paying a bit extra for an LG or Samsung. Do you think they're worth the extra?

I'm not looking for any bells and whistles at all, just a top class, sharp picture that I can hook up to my Sky box.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

KWilson15 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a 39" or 40" TV - a 43" is too big for the room it's going in.

I'm hoping to get something around the E350 mark and I've seen a few brands at that price, eg JVC, Sharp, Philips, Walker, Nordmende and Digihome.

For example, I saw a Sharp 40" "Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV" at E349.

I also saw a Sharp LC40CFG4041K (40 inch LED TV 1080p HD Freeview HD) on RicherSounds for E259 - I'm guessing you get what you pay for, that the quality wouldn't be that good??

It seems like most people recommend paying a bit extra for an LG or Samsung. Do you think they're worth the extra?

I'm not looking for any bells and whistles at all, just a top class, sharp picture that I can hook up to my Sky box.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!
    Hi KWilson15.

You are right in saying you get what you pay for.

We tend to stay away from the unknown brands and stick with the companies how have been producing excellent award winning products for years.

LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic would be our main sellers as in my opinion they produce the best screens.

Although the Sharp is pretty much one of the only 40" screens we can currently ship.
    LG, Sony and Samsung, Panasonic have all went 43" screen this time around.
    Hisense are also a 43"

There is much more select at 43".

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 KWilson15

Hi, many thanks for your reply. 

I can see alright that there aren't that many 39" and 40" options, but I actually bought a 43" recently and ended up returning it because it was just to big for the room it went in. 

The 40" Samsung looks a beaut, but at E509 it's beyond my budget.

How would you rate that Sharp that I mentioned? At E259 I'm sure it can't be all that brilliant (!), but how would the picture quality be? 

Thanks. 

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

KWilson15 wrote: »
    Hi, many thanks for your reply. 

I can see alright that there aren't that many 39" and 40" options, but I actually bought a 43" recently and ended up returning it because it was just to big for the room it went in. 

The 40" Samsung looks a beaut, but at E509 it's beyond my budget.

How would you rate that Sharp that I mentioned? At E259 I'm sure it can't be all that brilliant (!), but how would the picture quality be? 

Thanks. 
    Hi KWilson15.

To be honest the picture on the Sharp is not that bad at all. The main down side is that it is a non 4K panel but is Full HD.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.