Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New uniform

Options
  • 14-09-2018 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I started a new job a few weeks ago and they gave me a uniform. It’s a charcoal suit (jacket and trousers) all plain no company logo or anything?? Anyway I’m a skinny guy and all of their uniform is regular fit size that’s too big on me.

I have come to the conclusion to just buy my own as I hate wearing clothing that’s too big for me! Should I buy my own (from somewhere cheap like m and s or debehnams) and ask them to reimburse me?

Anyone ever been in this situation? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Before you spend any money check with management about alternative sizes
    If they have some then Great
    If not then propose your idea and hopefully they willl accept

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

wally1990 wrote: »
    Before you spend any money check with management about alternative sizes
    If they have some then Great
    If not then propose your idea and hopefully they willl accept

Already done this. It’s the only sizes they do, nothing smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Weird answer, but I'm throwing this out there:

Why not use this as an excuse to bulk up a bit? Eat more food and lift some weights. You'll feel better and maybe look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You’ve been given a uniform that fits although not to your taste.

Chat to your manager and see how they feel about you buying your own and if they will pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

What about get the uniform altered to your size?
    Somewhere like the zipyard could do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

_Brian wrote: »
    You’ve been given a uniform that fits although not to your taste.

Chat to your manager and see how they feel about you buying your own and if they will pay for it.

He could be given suit ten times too big, it would still fit him but look stupid!

OP, can you bring it to a tailor and ask them to take it in a bit for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

frag420 wrote: »
    He could be given suit ten times too big, it would still fit him but look stupid!

OP, can you bring it to a tailor and ask them to take it in a bit for you?

A tailor would do nothing, I tried that before it makes no difference. I’m a thin guy and need a slim fit suit. All I need to but is jacket and trousers, wouldn’t cost me that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you have dismissed the idea of a tailor out of hand, because i suspect you already know what you want to do, but wish to hear people here confirm that for you.

You should wear the uniform provided. if it doesn't fit have it altered. You have dismissed this for (IMO) spurious reasons.

If you want to you should discuss with your boss the idea of sourcing your uniform elsewhere, and reach agreement before going off and purchasing. if you have prior agreement there should not be too much of an issue.

But if you came into your workplace with your own uniform, and presented management with a receipt, without discussing first, and it was up to me id tell you where to go. so don't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

I think OP doesn't mind bearing the cost.

However, OP, I will advice you to get consent from them first because if you don't, you would feel so self conscious when you show up to work in it. (wondering if they would be offended and all)

Plus you manager may watch you wear it for a week before calling you in to ask you about it and telling you that you should change back to what you were given for the sake of uniformity.

Making your point at this point will only come across as excuses. He may say get it altered and when you try to explain that you have already done that your manager may still dismiss it.

It all depends on your manager to be honest and if they are not control freaks or out to get you, they would be ok with you getting it yourself if they don't want to pay for it (maybe they didn't budget for it) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Should I buy my own (from somewhere cheap like m and s or debehnams) and ask them to reimburse me?

i think OP does expect employer will reimburse the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Op

you have dismissed the idea of a tailor out of hand, because i suspect you already know what you want to do, but wish to hear people here confirm that for you.

You should wear the uniform provided. if it doesn't fit have it altered. You have dismissed this for (IMO) spurious reasons.

If you want to you should discuss with your boss the idea of sourcing your uniform elsewhere, and reach agreement before going off and purchasing. if you have prior agreement there should not be too much of an issue.

But if you came into your workplace with your own uniform, and presented management with a receipt, without discussing first, and it was up to me id tell you where to go. so don't do that.

+ 1 to all of the above. OP unless there are health and safety grounds around the size of the uniform and you just want something that looks/fits betters your choices are ask your manager and see if they are willing to cover cost. If the answer is no you can ask if you buy your own and wear it, if the answer to that is also no the option is to have the existing one tailored to suit. If answer is no to all of the above then you just have to wear the uniform as provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

OP. Why not ask your employer? In fairness they're the only people who can give you a straight answer on that one. If anything kicks off following that discussion then perhaps ask the good people of Boards.ie to give their sage advice.

Advertisement