Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Napping in Dublin

• 14-09-2018 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

I'm arriving into Dublin city centre tomorrow at 630am with nothing to do until an event at 10am. I'm sick as a dog and would like to get some kip. Ordinarily I'd buy a cinema ticket and snooze down the back but it's too early so none are open.

Any recommendations for where I can get some sleep? I'd sleep through a tornado so more worried about somewhere socially acceptable and moderate comfort.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Where's the event? Hotel lobbies could be an option, maybe buy a coffee there and then doze. Library room in Central Hotel Exchequer Street could be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

The coffee shops would be too busy and need the seat. A hotel lobby is your best bet order a tea/coffee and grab a big chair.
    The hotel Trinity (?) on Pearse street at the corner of Tara street has a nice bar off to the side of the lobby with deep seats facing out to the street it's next to the fire station but quiet and the main seating tables are at the back.
    I Found that the Bar food at night is nice and the staff friendly.
    Other than that you are looking for an early house pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Would you try ringing a hostel and seeing what they'll want for a few hours or something?

Probably more expensive than cinema but might be better quality sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

Give yourself an hour to get to town but before that nap on the chairs in the airport. Once u get off the plane u dont need to exit through passport control straight away so nap at the gate u arrive in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I've napped for 4 hours on a 7am Dart before. Wasn't intentional mind you...

You'd just have to time it so that you're on a train heading towards the city when you're due to wake up :pac: I was trying to go Malahide > Blackrock and woke up at Connolly Southbound, so wasn't too bad!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Thanks all. In the end I went to an early house near O'Connell street, plan was to fight sleep with coffee and paper. Chatting to the bar man, bought him two pints (well dont know if I did, I bought two pints and told him not to pour them for me) was told to find a corner to lie down in and even got a take away coffee given to me leaving. Slept like a log.

Apparently this is a regular situation among split shift workers so I'm armed with new knowledge !

Amirani wrote: »
    I've napped for 4 hours on a 7am Dart before. Wasn't intentional mind you...

You'd just have to time it so that you're on a train heading towards the city when you're due to wake up :pac: I was trying to go Malahide > Blackrock and woke up at Connolly Southbound, so wasn't too bad!!

Had to lol at this. You must have been wrecked! Getting a bus/train to nowhere in particular was an option I was looking at but I reckoned they'd be packed.

Normally going 24 hours without sleep would be something I could begrudgingly achieve but the flu has me on my knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

OP if you're ever stuck again, the clockwork door has a room for this very purpose.

Advertisement