Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couch Removal - Balbriggan

• 14-09-2018 7:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭

Hello boardsies

I have a new couch coming. I’ve looked up a few options for getting rid of the old one and it’s looking unreasonably dear. The company delivering the new one don’t do a removal service.
    Does anyone know of any cost efficient ways of getting rid of a couch?
    It’s a metal frame underneath, and is a bit thread bare so the charity shops do not want it. I checked!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Please whatever you do don’t give it to one of those dodgy companies that advertise on the local Facebook pages and drop cheap flyers through the door. They claim to offer furniture removal and man with a van type servicesZ We all know these are just travellers that will take it for a fraction of the cost of a genuine removal company and they will f&ck it in a hedge on one of our lovely rural roads later that day.
    If you know someone that has a large van ask them to help you bring it to the recycling centre in swords.
    Balrothery which is close enough to me has had a spate of this type of illegal dumping recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

100% Homer, I would never dream of it, but you are right to call it out.
    From my reading of the estuary recycling center, a van will cost 128 euro to bring in and dump, so that seems dear to me, assuming I had one, which I dont!

Oh wow I didn’t think they charged that much! That’s crazy.. any wonder people are looking for cheap alternatives. Is there no obligation on the company that supplies the new one to take away the old one like there is with electrical items.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

Is it useable? Someone might want it, maybe even a landlord. A few years ago I put my old but usable couch in my garden with a sign ‘I’m Free’ and it was gone in a few hours.

Homer wrote: »
    Oh wow I didn’t think they charged that much! That’s crazy.. any wonder people are looking for cheap alternatives. Is there no obligation on the company that supplies the new one to take away the old one like there is with electrical items.

No, sadly not, they dont do it even for a charge. Although I am going to ask them for a third time today when I arrange delivery.

• Advertisement

October wrote: »
    Is it useable? Someone might want it, maybe even a landlord. A few years ago I put my old but usable couch in my garden with a sign ‘I’m Free’ and it was gone in a few hours.

Hi October, I read your thread in my search!

Its 10 years old andd its pretty end of life. I have it on a FB group in the area for free, but nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Do you drive ? Could you hire a van for a day and bring it yourself ? Or " a man with a van " company might work out cheaper too

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Do you drive ? Could you hire a van for a day and bring it yourself ? Or " a man with a van " company might work out cheaper too

I do, and I could, but 128 plus van hire is a bit dear tbh.
    Man with a van is possible but one I looked out was 60 euro call out to Balbriggan. I was hoping there was a local service I could support (with a lesser call out charge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I do, and I could, but 128 plus van hire is a bit dear tbh.
    Man with a van is possible but one I looked out was 60 euro call out to Balbriggan. I was hoping there was a local service I could support (with a lesser call out charge)

Its such a shame they make it hard for people who want to do right . No wonder people dump by the side of the road
    When I lived in Germany they had a great system
    One day a year was designated for the " recycle" day . You put anything you didn't want out on the path in front of the house . People then drove around taking anything they needed . Clothes, toys , furniture , etc . Any left at 8pm was then collected by the council and dumped
    Very little was left sometimes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I would contact company you're buying new couch off and insist they remove old one or else you'll cancel and buy elsewhere... they're making a large margin on your couch... let them earn it, they'll be going back to their warehouse with an empty van!

or...

Attach a plug to it and have a new electrical item delivered...
    they might take it away under w.e.e.e. obligations.
    Worth a try :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I rented a GoCar Transit van yesterday for 4 hours for €48. Insurance, diesel all included

Get lift to Santry, pick her up, back to Balbriggan, drop couch on way back to Santry, lift home. Simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you tried listing it on Adverts.ie in the free section? Someone may take it.

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you tried listing it on Adverts.ie in the free section? Someone may take it.

Also try https://www.freetradeireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Masala

minikin wrote: »
    I would contact company you're buying new couch off and insist they remove old one or else you'll cancel and buy elsewhere... they're making a large margin on your couch... let them earn it, they'll be going back to their warehouse with an empty van!

or...

Attach a plug to it and have a new electrical item delivered...
    they might take it away under w.e.e.e. obligations.
    Worth a try :)

Agree with the above. When buying large household goods like beds, fridges etc... you should only deal with companies offering a removal service on the old stuff.

If it was in reasonable shape... St. Vincent de Paul might take it as it uses volunteers to collect and has families who might need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

DCC will remove 5 large items for 40 euro. They do this because they no longer do the biannual bulky household collection. I know that you are not in DCC area but have you tried your local council?

Edit
    Like other posters have said someone might take it for free. Plenty of dodgy landlord's looking for furniture for rented accommodation

Sleeper, thanks for this! I didn't know that and it's now solved a huge pain in arse for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Yeah that is a great service by DCC, you leave it out on the street and they pick it up. For 40 euro you could get a few items so think about what other crap you want to get rid of, or ask around if anyone else wants to go halves to get rid of some junk.
    Winner winner chicken dinner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sleeper, thanks for this! I didn't know that and it's now solved a huge pain in arse for me!

I'm delighted I could help. Just in case I ever meet someone else outside DCC area with the same problem, what council & how much are they charging for how many items?

Or as an alternative its only €16 for a full car. Take a hammer to the couch (its only timber and fabric) and put the bits in your car and bring to the recycling centre :D

Homer wrote: »
    Or as an alternative its only €16 for a full car. Take a hammer to the couch (its only timber and fabric) and put the bits in your car and bring to the recycling centre :D

Or as an alternative just dump it out onto the street, like our finest most up-standing citizens would do. Once its off your property its society's problem......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Halloween is coming up, leave it in your garden and the kids will rob it for the bonfire.

Or put it in your garden and say "For sale 20 euro". Somebody might think it is worth something and steal it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cut off all the fabric and foam using a Stanley knife, snips etc. and put it in you black bin. If the metal frame is bolted together dismantle it into smaller pieces and into the bin.

I've done this with many large items over the years. It's surprising how much you can break down a bulky item.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Skips on wheels. Registered waster collectors

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

I know this thread is 6 months old, but for other people who may read it, i dont think the recycle centre would charge that much for a couch. I went in there with my van to drop off a bed, they only charged for that, i think about 15 euro.

Advertisement