Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion /Wiring

Options
  • 14-09-2018 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I disconnected my immersion switch some years ago as it was being used too much and when not needed!

I wish to put it back now , and I am just checking which cables go where.

I know the live feeds , the two elements , can someone explain to me which terminal takes which cable?

obviously "earth" needs no explanation , just the others. L1 & L2 , the two Live (red) cables presumably.
    the two neutrals to the "N" - anything else to be aware of ? ( Ill check the red/live are "live" with phase tester) ...

Have some basic electrical experience but , feel a bit of advice is warranted , to ensure
    safery.

Any advice appreciated

Paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

From your pics, it would be a guess. Not prepared to do that.

Get a REC to look at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hi I disconnected my immersion switch some years ago as it was being used too much and when not needed!

How many years ago
    Safety & regulations change over the years
    Connecting the immersion now to a trip switch installed 20 years ago might be illegal now.

Wiring the switch might be easy but it might be dangerous by todays standard.

Better off getting a REC to connect & to test the rest of the system

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, it's not possible for us to tell you which cable is which as the mains feed and the wires to the immersion are intermixed in your photo.

You mentioned 'red' twice, I don't see any red wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi
    I disconnected my immersion switch some years ago as it was being used too much and when not needed!

I wish to put it back now , and I am just checking which cables go where.

I know the live feeds , the two elements , can someone explain to me which terminal takes which cable?

obviously "earth" needs no explanation , just the others. L1 & L2 , the two Live (red) cables presumably.
    the two neutrals to the "N" - anything else to be aware of ? ( Ill check the red/live are "live" with phase tester) ...

Have some basic electrical experience but , feel a bit of advice is warranted , to ensure
    safery.

Any advice appreciated

Paddy

The first problem is that you seem to be colourblind. The "reds" are actually brown.

There will be 2 separate cables. One will will a brown, blue and earth. This will most likely have a grey outer insulation. This will be your incoming supply and will be connected to L in and N in.
    The other cable will have an extra core so will have brown, blue, black and earth. It will possibly have a white outer insulation. With this cable connect the blue to N out, black to L2 for the sink and brown to L1 for bath.
    As you already said the earths are self explanatory..just make sure they are securely connected.

What size fuse/mcb is the immersion fed from at the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Take the top of the element and see what wires go there.

Work backwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

ted1 wrote: »
    Take the top of the element and see what wires go there.

Work backwards

Super idea 💡 does that cap pop off handy enough ? Will be good to know which cable is which will do this evening thanks again paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The only two house fires in my life involved immersion switches (two different ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

looksee wrote: »
    The only two house fires in my life involved immersion switches (two different ones).

Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Ak84

Just another thing to be wary of.
    New immersion requires an extra safety stat built in as the older type frequently failed in the on position and boiled the water in the cylinder.
    Happened in my own house. Immersion.was left on for a full day and the cold tank ended up filling with boiling water.
    I turned the cold tap on and STEAM came out.
    Deaths have occurred due to this problem with cold tanks bursting with the boiling water.

Advertisement