Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I pay my childminder?

Options
  • 14-09-2018 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

I’m going to be taking on a childminder soon who will be collecting my two children from school at 4pm and minding them in our home until between 5 and 5.30pm five days a week. I almost have someone sorted for the position.

There’ll be days that I’ll be home at 5 and days that I’ll be home at 5.30pm. Some days it could be closer to 6pm...so my point is, it’s going to vary a small bit on occasion from one hour to 1.5 hours or thereabouts.

I imagine most days that I will be between 5.15pm and 5.30pm though. What, in people’s opinion, is the best way to pay a childminder?

Should I have a set weekly rate? Or an hourly rate? Is €15 too little to pay this person for 1.5hrs? Would I be better off saying €100 for the week for between 5 - 7.5 hours a week? Or maybe €75 one off weekly fee? That’s €15-€20 a day for 1.5 hours a day. There’ll be the odd Monday that I’ll be off so I could say €75 for the day? Or should it be more/less?

I’ve no idea what rates are. If anyone could advise me on what a good rate to pay someone is for what I’m proposing, I’d be grateful. Childminder will not have to travel far to me. She’s the other side of town. I’m in a small town and live close to the school at the moment but the minder will need to drive to collect the kids. So she will have that outlay.

Sorry for the level of detail above but I’m trying to convey the fact that it’s a variable and flexible position and trying to pay accordingly.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Our local school has an after school 'club' to mind children up to 6pm. It charges €5 per child per hour for children booked in every week. So for two that would be €10 per hour.

If you allow for the fact that your childminder will have to drive to the school, using their own car, and wait there to collect your children I'd think €20 per day / €100 per week is reasonable.

I think a flat rate, with the understanding that you need cover for up to 6pm for those occasions when you are not home until then is far more practicable than trying to count daily hours and minutes each week.

Have you considered any potential further tax, employers/employees PRSI or holiday pay implications ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Keep in mind if your children are out at 4 the childminder effectively has to start work at half 3. so at minimum wage + €1.70 for using their own car (which wouldn't even start to pay for the damage parking at a school will do to your car) around €21 per day is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We employ a minder in our home and pay a weekly rate, as we can't guarantee being home at exactly the same time every day. You'll need to factor in employer's prsi as well as the salary and the administration that comes with being an employer.

Advertisement