Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money taken back into ATM has not been credited to my a/c

Options
  • 14-09-2018 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Last Saturday, I withdrew €300 from my BOI account at a BOI ATM but forgot to take the money. I asked security and they confirmed on CCTV that the green light flashed for about 20 seconds after I left and no one else came along in that time, so the money must have been taken back in.

I rang the helpline and was told that returned money goes into a different account before being credited back to mine and there may be a delay as it happened on a weekend. I checked again on Wednesday and was told to wait another 48 hours.

I asked again today and was told that since this ATM was not physically located at a bank, it only performs a balance check of its contents once a month and that I need to wait until the 27th to see if that amount is returned to my account.

I understood that ATMs do a nightly check of the money that went out vs. what remains. Can you offer any assistance?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Different bank,  but it took 2-4 weeks for me when it happened 

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dynomutt

Different bank,  but it took 2-4 weeks for me when it happened 

It looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer so. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Dynomutt wrote: »

I understood that ATMs do a nightly check of the money that went out vs. what remains. Can you offer any assistance?
    No. I don't think so. Somebody has to physically count the money in the machine. Used to happen once a week. Probably takes longer for remote ATMs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Dynomutt,

Thanks for your post.

Apologies for the confusing information you were provided with when you called. The ATM should have corrected this within 3-5 days. The best thing to do is to send a request through Ask a Question in the Service Desk on 365 Online. An adviser can have an ATM query raised to request that the funds are refunded to you. Apologies that this was not done when you called.

Thanks
    Tara

Hi Dynomutt,

Thanks for your post.

Apologies for the confusing information you were provided with when you called. The ATM should have corrected this within 3-5 days. The best thing to do is to send a request through Ask a Question in the Service Desk on 365 Online. An adviser can have an ATM query raised to request that the funds are refunded to you. Apologies that this was not done when you called.

Thanks
    Tara
    Thank you Tara,

This particular account is not set up for 365 Online. Is there another way I can submit the request?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi Dynomutt,

Thank you for getting back to us.

In this case you will need to ring our customer service team on 0818365365 and my colleagues will be happy to help you with this.

Thanks,

Lorna

Hi Dynomutt,

Thank you for getting back to us.

In this case you will need to ring our customer service team on 0818365365 and my colleagues will be happy to help you with this.

Thanks,

Lorna

Hi Lorna,

I contacted customer service who told me that a request is being processed because the machine has to be manually tallied and a report can take up to 10 working days. It's getting a bit confusing at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Dynomutt,

Just to clarify on the timeframes, when a customer walks away without the cash or machine fails to dispense funds the ATM will usually adjust this automatically. If it’s a device attached to a branch it will be within 24 hours and for other ATMs it can take 3-5 days. After this, if the ATM doesn’t automatically credit the account we then need to raise an ATM refund request. The ATM is manually checked, as mentioned above, and this can take up to ten days for BOI off site (not attached to a branch) ATMs.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

There was an article on Liveline show with Joe Duffy on 13th September where someone mentioned finding €300 in an ATM and they tried to hand it back to the bank but the bank didn't want to know.

It's linked to here

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/podcasts/

Hi Dynomutt,

Just to clarify on the timeframes, when a customer walks away without the cash or machine fails to dispense funds the ATM will usually adjust this automatically. If it’s a device attached to a branch it will be within 24 hours and for other ATMs it can take 3-5 days. After this, if the ATM doesn’t automatically credit the account we then need to raise an ATM refund request. The ATM is manually checked, as mentioned above, and this can take up to ten days for BOI off site (not attached to a branch) ATMs.

Thanks
    Tara
    That clears things up, thanks Tara.

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    There was an article on Liveline show with Joe Duffy on 13th September where someone mentioned finding €300 in an ATM and they tried to hand it back to the bank but the bank didn't want to know.

It's linked to here

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/podcasts/
    Yes, that's a tricky situation as the card used in the AIB machine may have been from a different bank. Still, the clerk should have taken some details in case the cardholder called in to ask about the lost money.

Advertisement