Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to push for an AGM?

Options
  • 14-09-2018 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

If a limited company has not held an AGM for maybe three years what mechanism is there to make the AGM happen?

I've done some web searches which do talk about EGM's but can't seem to find the mechanism to just have the standard AGM actually happen.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

Unless it's been agreed by the members, the Company can't go more than 15 months without holding an AGM. If you're a shareholder and the directors have told you they won't hold an AGM then the only thing you can really do is contact the ODCE using their complaint form. There's a section on the complaint form for AGM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

ACADasltiv wrote: »
    Unless it's been agreed by the members, the Company can't go more than 15 months without holding an AGM. If you're a shareholder and the directors have told you they won't hold an AGM then the only thing you can really do is contact the ODCE using their complaint form. There's a section on the complaint form for AGM's.

Perfect thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It’s a bit more complex than written above.
    I agree that the ODCE has the power to instruct an AGM be held BUT we do not know the full details of the OP’s case with regard to role/position. For example, ‘Single Member’ companies can pass a written resolution dispensing with the AGM. Also, if the company is less than 18 months old there is no requirement (yet) to hold an AGM.

It’s a bit more complex than written above.
    I agree that the ODCE has the power to instruct an AGM be held BUT we do not know the full details of the OP’s case with regard to role/position. For example, ‘Single Member’ companies can pass a written resolution dispensing with the AGM. Also, if the company is less than 18 months old there is no requirement (yet) to hold an AGM.

To clarify. This isn't for me but the company has been trading for 4 years I believe and there has been no AGM for around 3 years, it's not single member and there was no resolution on dispensing with the AGM. As I read it the link from ACADasltiv would apply. I appreciate the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Why is there now the need for an AGM?
    It may be better to look at the underlying reason and tackle it and for the shareholder to look if this company setup is the right investment platform because unless they can gather or currently hold a majority of the votes they will loose any resolution at the meeting.

• Advertisement

Why is there now the need for an AGM?
    It may be better to look at the underlying reason and tackle it and for the shareholder to look if this company setup is the right investment platform because unless they can gather or currently hold a majority of the votes they will loose any resolution at the meeting.

I think the reasoning is to force the issue rather than actually go for enforcement. As for the full details of why an AGM might be needed now I'm not sure.

Advertisement