Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stook 10 mile/5k Nov 18th 2018

Options
  • 14-09-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

The 2018 running of Gowran AC's Stook 10 mile/5k races takes place on November 18th this year in Dungarvan, Co. Kilkenny. This event is held annually as a fundraiser for the juvenile section of our club which has been growing rapidly over the last few years. The course for the 10 mile is well known by now as providing a unique challenge for athletes of all levels with the "highlight" being the legendary Stook Hill itself. The views of Co. Kilkenny and beyond from the top are breathtaking and worth the effort it takes to get there. Once over the summit we then have the "Flying Mile" as you descend towards the finish. This is a separately timed section down the hill where you can be almost guaranteed to run one of your fastest miles ever. It's great craic! There are confirmed pacers on the day for those targeting sub 70, 80 or 90 min times (yours truly doing the 80 min)
    We also have our fun 5k race which is aimed at families, younger athletes and the ever growing band of Couch to 5k runners. (There is dedicated C25k training every Thursday evening from Applegreen Paulstown https://www.facebook.com/GowranAC/posts/10156687895994808)
    Best of all is the massive feed that awaits post race in the hall in Dungarvan where everyone can share their tales of conquering "The Stook"
    Registration and any other info I may have left out can be found on:
    https://stook10.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Anyone else heading to this? I am! Can't wait (though am v nervous about The Hill!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Ah that hill is nothing! And you'll have the flying mile as soon as you hit the top. Unfortunately, due to an unavoidable clash, I won't be doing my pacing gig as planned. However there are plenty of pacers arranged for the day. Raging to be missing it myself.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Ah that hill is nothing! And you'll have the flying mile as soon as you hit the top. Unfortunately, due to an unavoidable clash, I won't be doin g my pacing gig as planned. However there are plenty of pacers arranged for the day. Raging to be missing it myself.

I think - all going well - I will try to position myself somewhere between the 70 and 80 minute pacers. It's always a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A super local event. By runners, for runners. The hill is grand and there is always the downhill to look forward to.

A super local event. By runners, for runners. The hill is grand and there is always the downhill to look forward to.

The last time I ran it, my splits included a 9 minute mile and a 5.45, so you can see I’m keener on downhills! 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Here’s another fan of the Stook. It is one of those life affirming races. You won’t regret doing it and yet your chances of a 10 mile PB are zero! My secret tip is to take a small breather before the start of the “Flying Mile” and just admire the stunning view and then flake down the hill!

Sharkey47 wrote: »
    Here’s another fan of the Stook. It is one of those life affirming races. You won’t regret doing it and yet your chances of a 10 mile PB are zero! My secret tip is to take a small breather before the start of the “Flying Mile” and just admire the stunning view and then flake down the hill!

No time for views! It's cut-throat racing only!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Olympian and Irish Marathon champion Lizzie Lee will be taking on the Stook this Sunday! Great to have such calibre of athlete competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Hey all, thanks for the nice feedback.

Quick updates here.

As it stands we have Gary O'Hanlon and Freddy Sittuk racing on Sunday - both down to challenge Gary's own course record of 51'59"- there is a €500 bonus for a new record. I think this will be a classic battle as obviously there was that whole 2017 National Marathon Championships debacle, and with Freddy going with leaders in DCM this year and then dropping out they haven't really gone toe-to-toe since they were all over the papers. We are delighted to have them both down.

I don't see any challengers for Lizzie Lee on the entries - I think that being the week before national cross is a barrier there.

In other news; the forecast is fantastic, the entries are strong - don't think we'll ever be the biggest race in the world - but then, we're not for everyone. We'll take entries on the day.

Looking forward to meeting those of you who are coming down. I'll be the stressed one in the Where's Wally Gowran AC Hat.

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

A brilliant race. Well organised, well marshalled, a good tough course and a great spread afterwards. Plus where else would you get guaranteed sunshine in the middle of November? Well done and thanks to all at to Gowran AC for being so welcoming. I'll be back next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Great race, excellent organisation all around. Great craic during and after the race.

Managed 23rd, fell away a bit on the 2km uphill before the flying mile. Really enjoyed the whole race though!

Thanks so much Gowran AC for another great race. I did it with my husband and two friends and we had a brilliant weekend (we always spend the weekend in Kilkenny and then do the race on the Sunday - it's become a bit of a pre-Christmas tradition).

The organisers were really lucky with the weather this year (except for the breeze on some stretches - I'm terrible at running into wind!), but weather aside, it's a really well organised race. Number collection and bag drop were quick, the portaloos were lovely (they really were!) (!), and there's a lovely start / finish area with refreshment tents etc.

This year they had reusable glasses for water, too, which was great. And I loved the option to get a t-shirt or not at registration (I love the Stook logo etc, but I generally don't wear race t-shirts after the event, as I prefer smaller running tops, so it's pretty wasteful to always get them as a matter of course.)

The race itself is pretty challenging - it's all on country roads, and even before The Hill it's pretty rolling (though there's lots of downhill too). I found the drag before the hill proper really tough; once we started going up more steeply, I felt more energised. I love the cheering station and the top of the hill and I LOVE the Flying Mile. I wasn't quite up to my 2015 Flying Mile time, but at least I broke 6 mins!

I was really happy with how I ran and with my time - I was just 10 seconds slower than in 2015, and I really didn't think I was as 10-mile-ready now as I was then. But I must be! I'm delighted!

It was so nice to meet Lizzie Lee after - she had a great run and was chasing to everyone afterwards.

It's a brilliant race, thanks, Gowran ac. And thanks for the cowbell. My fave race souvenir!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Thanks so much Gowran AC for another great race. I did it with my husband and two friends and we had a brilliant weekend (we always spend the weekend in Kilkenny and then do the race on the Sunday - it's become a bit of a pre-Christmas tradition).

The organisers were really lucky with the weather this year (except for the breeze on some stretches - I'm terrible at running into wind!), but weather aside, it's a really well organised race. Number collection and bag drop were quick, the portaloos were lovely (they really were!) (!), and there's a lovely start / finish area with refreshment tents etc.

This year they had reusable glasses for water, too, which was great. And I loved the option to get a t-shirt or not at registration (I love the Stook logo etc, but I generally don't wear race t-shirts after the event, as I prefer smaller running tops, so it's pretty wasteful to always get them as a matter of course.)

The race itself is pretty challenging - it's all on country roads, and even before The Hill it's pretty rolling (though there's lots of downhill too). I found the drag before the hill proper really tough; once we started going up more steeply, I felt more energised. I love the cheering station and the top of the hill and I LOVE the Flying Mile. I wasn't quite up to my 2015 Flying Mile time, but at least I broke 6 mins!

I was really happy with how I ran and with my time - I was just 10 seconds slower than in 2015, and I really didn't think I was as 10-mile-ready now as I was then. But I must be! I'm delighted!

It was so nice to meet Lizzie Lee after - she had a great run and was chasing to everyone afterwards.

It's a brilliant race, thanks, Gowran ac. And thanks for the cowbell. My fave race souvenir!

Great stuff Helen; yeah - we lucked out on the weather but we were due it after last year's mist and muck fest. Great run by you, you picked up the AG prize and the women's flying mile prize. So they are winging their way to you now.

Thanks for supporting the race, and with it our juvenile facility development. See you next year - if not before.

best

Simon

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    Great stuff Helen; yeah - we lucked out on the weather but we were due it after last year's mist and muck fest. Great run by you, you picked up the AG prize and the women's flying mile prize. So they are winging their way to you now.

Thanks for supporting the race, and with it our juvenile facility development. See you next year - if not before.

best

Simon

Wow!! Thank you! That’s great! And I was already delighted with my cowbell.
    Thanks very much.
    My husband & friends & I really love the race and are always recommending it. We missed it last year for various reasons, so we were all so glad to be back this year.
    Well done on another great race!

ASIMON0V wrote: »

best

Simon

Also, just PMed you

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but struggling to register for this one at present... Looking for a longer-term target and this one is one that I'd love to aim for as it's local and in aid of my old club Gowran AC!

Perhaps @asimonov might be able to clarify?

@MODs - feel free to close if necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but struggling to register for this one at present... Looking for a longer-term target and this one is one that I'd love to aim for as it's local and in aid of my old club Gowran AC!

Perhaps @asimonov might be able to clarify?

@MODs - feel free to close if necessary!

https://www.popupraces.ie/race/stook-10-mile-5k-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Thanks Rocky Seven

The PopUp Races website was updated overnight to include the 10 Mile!

Advertisement