Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TRV Recommendation.

Options
  • 14-09-2018 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some feedback on smart trvs from anyone that is using them.
    I currently have 2 Nests (2 Zones + Hot Water) and I was hoping to use the Nest Temperature sensors but as they don't look to be coming out over here anytime soon I'm thinking of going down the TRV route which to be fair looks to be a better option to the Nest sensor but undecided whether or not to go down the dumb or smart route.

Does anyone here use trvs & Nest together (through IFTTT or other means) and has anyone got any recommendations for a solid trv product & company that is unlikely to go bust in the near future, I was previously using Sen.se Mother & IFTTT to control the rooms without the Nest Thermostat in them. I'm currently leaning towards the Tado Smart Radiator Thermostat but as I'll want at least 4 TRVs I'd be looking at a 350-400 outlay before paying a plumber to install them as I don't currently have trvs in the house. So any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There's loads of threads here on it.

Thing is many recommended their own systems

I don't have a nest stat

I've a lightwaverf set up with
    6 rads on with TRVs

So to answer your question in a different way.

My son smashed my lightwaverf stat.

I popped a SONOFF wifi switch into it.

It turns on and off the boiler

I use it's timer and phone app to switch it on and off

I've smartthings with a multi sensor

I used IFTTT to use the Samsung temp to switch and off the boiler as SONOFF bia also IFTTT compliant

I use the nest smoke detector to turn off the boiler again with IFTTT if it senses a fire

The TRVs I have are 2 way , work ok, need a battery recharge per year (maybe a little more)

They are loud. Not as loud as the old models. But they are all (all brands) loud anyone saying any different is usually emotionally attached to what they have

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've a replacement for the lightwaverf stat.

TBH the rads don't call the heating in anymore. They stopped that and I'm happy with it

The TRVs work independently of the on off state of boiler so when the boiler is on they increased and decrease it's load. But they don't call it. That's the job of the stat.

Advertisement