Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rigid Disc 26 inch frameset ?

• 14-09-2018 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Anyone know of a company that does a fully rigid 26 inch frame set ?

Or is it possible to get a 26 inch hardtail frame and find a suspension corrected fork for it ?

I have some 26 inch wheels and a box full of parts and if I could find a cheap enough frameset Id make some sort of bike packing or off road touring bike

I know surly have the troll and disc trucker frame sets in 26 but they are too expensive for me trying to do this on the cheap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Still easy to find 26" frames because #26AintDead #pickawheelsizeandbeadickaboutit.

Besides checking out the likes of the for-sale section in the likes of pinkbike, or going through ebay or adverts, still more than a few manufacturers making 26" frames & bikes. Cotic (Sheffield-based) make a 26" version of their highly regarded Bfe frame, Santa Cruz have the Jackal frame, and I'm sure there's ore than a few others. Just depends on budget really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

Retrobike - pick up a quality old Kona fame for bigger all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

saccades wrote: »
    Retrobike - pick up a quality old Kona fame for bigger all.

The OP is looking for a disc-capable frame, which makes looking on retrobike a bit of a hiding to nowhere. It's possible as there are some old-school frames that will accept discs but they're a minority.

The other thing to note is what sort of steerer tube does the frame accept? Picking up an old-school bike will mean finding a half-decent fork (either new or second-hand) that has a straight-steerer, doesn't affect the frame geometry and isn't a bag of spanners is a lot of hassle. So unless you really want a particular frame, I just wouldn't unless you are prepared to bide your time for several months/years looking for a fork that ticks all the boxes for you. So,if you want to go tapered, that also rules out pretty much anything on retrobikes. I'm not panning old-school bikes; I own two of them. But they come with their limitations when replacing or upgrading parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

Lemming wrote: »
    The OP is looking for a disc-capable frame, which makes looking on retrobike a bit of a hiding to nowhere. It's possible as there are some old-school frames that will accept discs but they're a minority.

The other thing to note is what sort of steerer tube does the frame accept? Picking up an old-school bike will mean finding a half-decent fork (either new or second-hand) that has a straight-steerer, doesn't affect the frame geometry and isn't a bag of spanners is a lot of hassle. So unless you really want a particular frame, I just wouldn't unless you are prepared to bide your time for several months/years looking for a fork that ticks all the boxes for you. So,if you want to go tapered, that also rules out pretty much anything on retrobikes. I'm not panning old-school bikes; I own two of them. But they come with their limitations when replacing or upgrading parts.

Apologies, missed/forgot about the disc bit but there are millions of rigid (which the op asked for) forks in 1 1/8th. I would avoid 1" and quill stems though

Advertisement