Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I visited the National Wax Museum twice in the late 80s'. Never went into the Chamber of Horrors though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The greatest female heroine of all time. Boys wanted to bed her, girls wanted to BE her. Gay boys like me adored her! :D

Lynda Carter WAS Wonder Woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Lynda Carter looked fantastic. I enjoyed it at the time but when I revisited it on DVD, it didn't stand up.

On the other hand, I could watch The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman all day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

branie2 wrote: »
    I visited the National Wax Museum twice in the late 80s'. Never went into the Chamber of Horrors though.

I remember a news report about the time vandals broke into it and wrecked the place. It showed the wax figure of Margaret Thatcher with a sword stuck through her head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Thumbing a lift around the country without a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Count Down wrote: »
    Bovril at football matches. As someone once said "Tastes like beef flavoured tea". :P

Saw Alan partridge explaining that to disadvantaged teenagers on a hill walk on tv the other night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

They were great times looking back, pretty sure it didn't rain 1973 -1977 in North Co Dublin, long hot hazy sunny days on Skerries south strand, a Crunchie on a Thursday, my dad's payday, 4 of us on a sheet of corrugated iron hurtling down the slopes of the ballast pit,

Being mortified by my mother calling me in for bed from the window in front of my friends & the walk of shame, after a chat, the following night I was called in for my supper lol, never had supper in my life.

Sneaking over to my mates to watch Starskey & Hutch, not allowed in my house, Kojak, who loves ya baby!

Playing very poorly for the Harps U8 & U10 bit better at the rugby, scouts bobajob, breaking into the boat club to steal the empty glass bottles & bring them to the shop for the couple of pence glass refund. Playing dobbers (marbles), kicking ball, three square meals a day, a 1/4 of bonbons or lemon drops, deciding on a whim to walk across the fields to visit my granny & no one having a clue where I was & no one was worried, would be gone for hours.

Moved to Limerick in 1977, for 6 months I didn't even realise they were speaking english with the accent, first year was tough enough, the school was tough as fcuk compared to Skerries national school, secondary was grand though, handful of tight friends, all decent lads, only had RTE1 when we moved down WTF, life was very simple, we didn't know any different, having loads of phone numbers stored in my head, only have three now, teen disco's at Na Piarsaigh, moving on to Club Marche & Tropics & chicken in a basket, Limerick Judo Club, certainly didn't have all the stresses that a lot of teens seem to have today, my own included, we were clothed, three meals a day, no stress, life was good, wouldn't change a thing.

My folks were probably stressed out though, much like we are now lol.

Duplicate post deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The greatest female heroine of all time. Boys wanted to bed her, girls wanted to BE her. Gay boys like me adored her! :D

Lynda Carter WAS Wonder Woman!

I was a straight boy and did not want to bed this older bird. Plus the show was crap. Nice memory though.:D

• Advertisement

John Hughes Movies in the 80s and those that tried to replicate aspects of them in Irish secondary schools. It never went down too well.

Six Million Dollar Man - aired between January 1974 and April 1978. Great show! :)

Lynda Carter looked fantastic. I enjoyed it at the time but when I revisited it on DVD, it didn't stand up.

On the other hand, I could watch The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman all day.

Used to watch The Six Million Dollar Man but at some stage my head was turned by Charlie's Angels

Alias Smith & Jones - two train robbers who want amnesty for their crimes, but have to stay on the right side of the law until they get it.

Anyone here remember a fashion boutique in Dublin in the 1980s called Lucia? At one point there were anout 5 of them in Dublin. They were owned and managed ny a German lady called Marianne.

She and her husband Hans were neighbours and good friends of my mum and dad.

Alias Smith & Jones - two train robbers who want amnesty for their crimes, but have to stay on the right side of the law until they get it.

Shown around the same time was the Bearcat's, about two guys in a souped up vintage car having adventures on the Tex/Mex border circa 1920's.

• Advertisement

Six Million Dollar Man - aired between January 1974 and April 1978. Great show! :)

Now yer talkin!

I had the action figure. The skin peeled back on the arm to reveal the mechanical bits I'd say my Dad did 4 weeks overtime to afford it.

My name is Rashers see?

I've had these flashes, see?

About the natural taste of bacon like it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I remember a news report about the time vandals broke into it and wrecked the place. It showed the wax figure of Margaret Thatcher with a sword stuck through her head.

Was lurking & I just had to google that + dug this video up.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0501/698083-wax-museum-vandalised/

I have to admit I LOLed (feel a bit bad now...:pac:)
    Wax museum always gave me a severe case of the creeps, alot of the waxworks were terrible + deep in uncanny valley territory.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Was lurking & I just had to google that + dug this video up.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0501/698083-wax-museum-vandalised/

I have to admit I LOLed (feel a bit bad now...:pac:)
    Wax museum always gave me a severe case of the creeps, alot of the waxworks were terrible + deep in uncanny valley territory.

Yes, that's the news report that I remember seeing. The year on that link has to be wrong though, it was a good bit later than 1980. I'd estimate about 1985/86.

Edit: it was 1985. Its mentioned here.

https://superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4675:rte-archives-27th-april-3-may-2015&catid=8&Itemid=115

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Yes, that's the news report that I remember seeing. The year on that link has to be wrong though, it was a good bit later than 1980. I'd estimate about 1985/86.

It's definitely not May 1980 as the date claims. It features waxworks of Prince Charles arm in arm with Princess Diana, and the two of them were only rumored to be dating at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Edit: it was 1985. Its mentioned here.

https://superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4675:rte-archives-27th-april-3-may-2015&catid=8&Itemid=115

Thanks for that. Poor old RTE, getting it wrong again!

It's definitely not May 1980 as the date claims. It features waxworks of Prince Charles arm in arm with Princess Diana, and the two of them were only rumored to be dating at that time.

I have better memories of that place being a Cinema - The Plaza - called The Dorset before that. I did a full on combo of visiting it as the wax works museum and then down to the moving crib in Parnell Square in the mid 90s. Had grub in the Kingfisher after that. Reading what I just typed looks fooked up as so much has changed, Different days.

Family Album, in the 80s, was my introduction to the bikini.

Family Album, in the 80s, was my introduction to the bikini.

Pics?
    Asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Shtamp out scour!

Air Wolf - as an 11 year old lad in the 80s I thought this show was the bees’ knees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

pawdee wrote: »
    Shtamp out scour!
    TB shpreadin' to MY land is MY buishness!

Speaking of ads about scour etc this one used to creep the sh!te of me.

https://ifiplayer.ie/dictol-oral-husk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Also remember this one... apologies if it’s been posted before..

https://youtu.be/5m_IjyG8jpE

Can’t embed on phone still! Sorry!

Air Wolf - as an 11 year old lad in the 80s I thought this show was the bees’ knees!

Feckin great Soundtrack. Saturday morning/lunchtime. Loved it and the subsequent video game in arcades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

twirlagig wrote: »
    Also remember this one... apologies if it’s been posted before..

https://youtu.be/5m_IjyG8jpE

Can’t embed on phone still! Sorry!

Harry Molloy from Fair City! (Paul Raynor)

Pics?
    Asking for a friend

Sorry, none I'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

pawdee wrote: »
    Shtamp out scour!

Remember the Triple A Golden Maverick ad with the cowboys playing poker?

How about Net Nitrate, Net Urea.
    "Spread the Net, you won't regret
    Great silage you'll be storing
    Go straight to Net, you won't forget
    Net Nitrate, Net Urea"

I used to have a giggle at the really crap bit in this where the digger hits the power line. Like something from Captain Pugwash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I used to have a giggle at the really crap bit in this where the digger hits the power line. Like something from Captain Pugwash.

The "Farmers" in those ads looked like film stars in comparison to actual farmers at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

One of my memories is one of the Bosco presenters, I think it was Grainne, wearing a tight t-shirt with no bra and me as a young fella getting very strange feelings in my willie - and not knowing why ... ahhhh innocent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

I always remember been wet. Wet shoes, socks, Wet clothes - maybe that is because we didn't have a bean and walked everywhere. Taxi's never heard of such things. Ah sure its only a shower and you only have two miles to walk home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

6541 wrote: »
    I always remember been wet. Wet shoes, socks, Wet clothes - maybe that is because we didn't have a bean and walked everywhere. Taxi's never heard of such things. Ah sure its only a shower and you only have two miles to walk home.
    The joy of sitting all day in an unheated school in your wet clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Its mad to think of that now - in fact sitting around soaked is so alien now, it was frigging normal back in the day. Gangs of drenched kids, its actually kind of funny when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

6541 wrote: »

Its mad to think of that now - in fact sitting around soaked is so alien now, it was frigging normal back in the day. Gangs of drenched kids, its actually kind of funny when you think about it.
    The smell of wet wool and unwashed teenagers.

If you knew a lad whose Dad wasn't on the scene, he was in the "Leb".:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Anyone mentioned cars being held together with their own rust yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Strange result of that. My friend and her brother, used to cycle 8 miles every day to school and 8 miles back home again in the evening, And of course wearing gaberdine overcoats, so while the coats were hanging up in the (unheated) halls, they were sitting all day in a the best, damp clothes. Then when some younger brothers and sisters came along ( large Families were also the thing back then too) The school bus had arrived on the scene, so no more cycling or spending the day in wet / damp clothes. Fast forward to the present time, Now the cyclists have rheumatism and chronic arthritis, but have healthy heart's, while the school bus kids now have no arthritic or bone problems, but all have heart problems....:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The other hi tech helicopter show.

Doesn't seem so far fetched to think a US police force would have a chopper with a mini gun on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dana Carvey was in Blue Thunder? No way!

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dana Carvey was in Blue Thunder? No way!

I know! I thought the same when I saw the intro there. And Bubba Smith was in it too :D

I was looking up something for the iodine pill thread and found this. The zig and Zag No. 1

btw, blue thunder was based on a movie of the same name. I think we can all agree they made crap trailers in the 80's

Zig and Zag's storytime on a Tuesday evening, when Zig read out the story, and Zag acted as a character celled Melissa Mistletoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

petrolcan wrote: »
    Anyone mentioned cars being held together with their own rust yet?

Hard to believe now, but rust was a real problem in older cars.

Recently, I sold my '01 car to trade up a few years.

This car at 17 years old is still going now.

30 years ago cars were sometimes eaten alive with rust before they were 10 years old.

Of course the powers that be want to take out good cars out of that era for 'green' reasons.

Insurance reasons condems perfectly safe driveable cars & the government allowes this to happen.

My government is a disgrace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

30 years ago cars were sometimes eaten alive with rust before they were 10 years old.

I drove a Datsun 120y for a few years. When I bought it £50 it was fit for the scrapyard. No floor, no heater, no wipers, but it was driveable and a miser on petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Of course the powers that be want to take out good cars out of that era for 'green' reasons.

Insurance reasons condems perfectly safe driveable cars & the government allowes this to happen.

My government is a disgrace!

I drive a 1999 Corolla (my Dad bought it new). 94,000 miles on the clock. Passes the NCT every year. I do 2,000 per year, no claims, no points etc. Yet, the only insurance I can get is with my existing provider who is increasing it by 10% - 15% each year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement