Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

^^^
    If memory serves,
    UB40 - "Red Red Wine"
    Phil Collins- "You Can't Hurry Love"
    I think Heave 17 was "Temptation" but I'm not 100%
    The Madness track was a slow one that I didn't like so never played it much, which is why I don't remember it. Maybe someone else knows?
    Culture Club from the top row - " Victims"

Yes I played that LP to death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Bottom left I would have said altered images but I know they were probably gone by then

The pic is in 2 sections and I was only looking at the first. I was putting the second one in as some Scouse band because of the dodgy moustache. That looks like shoulder pads on the small blonde hence Claire Grogan. But it's Sunday morning and I'm easy lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Those Now compilations were the death knell for K-tel.

In the 70s some company(?) used to do compilations of covers of chart hits. We got one one Christmas not realising they were covers. It was woeful stuff. On The Sweet's "Blockbuster" the singer sounded like someone was giving him a Chinese burn at the part where he sang "Ah Aaaaaaaa!"

emo72 wrote: »
    I was putting the second one in as some Scouse band because of the dodgy moustache.
    And just cos it's Sunday morning I'm sure the good folk of Liverpool and Birmingham will forgive you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Remember the music show Megamix presented by Kevin Sharkey and Flo McSweeny? If I remember rightly, it was on on Friday evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

And Ronco.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Not sure what the Kagagoogoo track was, don't think it was "Too Shy", but could be wrong

They had two on it. Too Shy and Big Apple [post-Limahl going solo]

^^^
    If memory serves,
    UB40 - "Red Red Wine"

Also had two. Please Don't Make Me Cry.

• Advertisement

When I first starting listening to and buying music in the 1980s, I often dreamed of writing for Smash Hits (1978 - 2006). It never happened.
    Classic Pop magazine has been described as "Smash Hits for adults." In its December 2017 issue, I wrote a six page feature on pop compilations. You can now read it on their website:
    Now & Then: Now That's What I Call Music
    Top 15 Pop Compilations 1980-1999

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

K-Tel never went away still around today https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-tel

Still around but their days of releasing compilations of recent chart hits were numbered once the Now series started. They just didn’t have the licencing muscle that the others did so 1984’s Hungry For Hits was effectively their last serious contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

When I first starting listening to and buying music in the 1980s, I often dreamed of writing for Smash Hits (1978 - 2006). It never happened.
    Classic Pop magazine has been described as "Smash Hits for adults." In its December 2017 issue, I wrote a six page feature on pop compilations. You can now read it on their website:
    Now & Then: Now That's What I Call Music
    Top 15 Pop Compilations 1980-1999
    There's a blast from the past! I never got it but my best friend used to get the latest issue plus a pound from her Grandmother every week and I used to be so jealous lol. Back then a pound could buy you a packet of crisps, bar of chocolate and a can of coke. You can't even buy one of those now for a euro :pac:

Pocket money wasn't really a thing back then. We certainly never got it. Did anyone else?

My earliest memory of Christmas in the 80s was getting a cowboy waistcoat, hat and toy rifle as presents when I was three - all from Santa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Smash Hits was King but lets not forget No. 1 Magazine either, A decent read circa 1985/'86. A great section for pen pals too. I wrote to an English girl from Crawley who loved Duran Duran/Spandau Ballet and the Pet Shop Boys. It all ended when I realised that Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys was a writer with Smash Hits and wrote off Duran Duran in a review. The Prick! It all cost the price of a stamp and the effort of writing a letter.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I remember Woolworths used to have cassettes of cover bands covering mainstream bands albums.
    The cover bands (probably all the same band) had names similar/relating to the band they were covering.
    One I remember in particular was a Police album being done by "Highway Patrol".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Amprodude wrote: »
    Remember amhran na bhfiann played at the end of the night of rte1 before it shut down for the night.

who remembers nightlight with some creepy priest telling us how to live a "moral" life :rolleyes:

god we were sheep back in those days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd like to nominate this thread for the annual "Thread of the Year" award at the official Boards.ie awards which take place sometime this month.

Winning OP gets 10,000 euro hard cash and a paid modship :pac:

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Crib scene cut outs on milk cartons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I remember Woolworths used to have cassettes of cover bands covering mainstream bands albums.
    The cover bands (probably all the same band) had names similar/relating to the band they were covering.
    One I remember in particular was a Police album being done by "Highway Patrol".
    There was a Police cover band doing the pub scene in Dublin in the late 90s called "The Guards".

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    Amprodude wrote: »
    Remember amhran na bhfiann played at the end of the night of rte1 before it shut down for the night.

who remembers nightlight with some creepy priest telling us how to live a "moral" life :rolleyes:

god we were sheep back in those days
    Was that not just a prayer?
    Got replaced with "A Prayer at Bedtime". Maybe I'm confusing the two. When did "A prayer at Bedtime " stop being broadcast? Not that long ago, I think.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

no, nightlight was a 5min broadcast on rte 2 late at night...some dowdy ol'priest tellin us we shouldn't be abusing ourselves whilst watchin the sub-titled french fillum that was coming up next

Was that not just a prayer?
    Got replaced with "A Prayer at Bedtime". Maybe I'm confusing the two. When did "A prayer at Bedtime " stop being broadcast? Not that long ago, I think.

24 hour broadcasting ended it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Smells of the 70/80s...

- Cigarette smoke and sweat on the buses.
    - Petrol fumes from old cars.
    - Bakeries and breweries in the city (Cork) center.
    - Coal fires during winter.
    - hydrogen sulfide / eggs smell from River Lee (Cork) during low tide on a hot summers day.
    - Whiskey breath from some old relatives at family wakes/funerals.
    - Warm electrical smell from the old valve TV set. It weighed a ton and stood on 4 spindly little legs...

Used to go to Dublin the odd time as a kid and the coffee smell in Bewleys was brilliant too.

On the whole TV thing; remember not being able to tune in a TV outside broadcast hours as there was no transmission ? A test card would be broadcast some time before there was active programming.. When RTE 2 (TV) came on on air it was a a big deal; you could now have a conversion with someone and talk about the 'telly' last night and both of you could have seen something different.. I think the first time RTE2 broadcast it was a live show from Cork Opera house??

Telephones - A/B buttons - rotary locks / telephone hall tables with coin boxes for when the neighbours called to make a call. The 2030h phone call to 'Nana' on a Sunday night. When you heard the phone ring in the house everyone would rush to answer it and shout down the phone number of the house! "Hello you have reached 51234".. .yea the phone numbers were 5 digits... and you'd recite all the numbers you knew to friends in school.... A huge thick telephone book too.

and these......
    467888.png

We had that in our house back in the day

Queues outside phone boxes

Phone boxes...

Car phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Phone boxes...

Ahh one of these....

kenmare-chronnicle-farmer-cow-phonebox.jpg?itok=UluOossV&timestamp=1432585713

Here is the colour non cow version...

132329268_a5de8d73e2_z.jpg?zz=1

I am not allowed discuss …

And then we went all Star Trek with the phone boxes.:D

1214_bg.jpg

From a Dublin perspective 1986 and the opening of the Virgin Megastore. The site has a crossover memory for me. The original store was McBirneys and its great Toy dept, in the basement as a kid. By '86 the Megastore was like disneyland to a teen like me. A few years later and you could buy Condoms there too! From Toys to music to luuurve.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Phone boxes...
    You'll have to explain to the younger folk on here just what a phone box actually was!

blueser wrote: »
    You'll have to explain to the younger folk on here just what a phone box actually was!

I doubt there's any younger folk bothering with this thread.:D

yuppies in the 80s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I remember when the phone had a handle on the side of it and you had to go an operator to get through to the person you wanted to talk to, it was like the best think since sliced bread when the button phones came out and the number could be dialed on the phone itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blueser wrote: »

Ah ffs....

iPhone-XS-unbox-780x536.jpg

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Grandeeod wrote: »
    And then we went all Star Trek with the phone boxes.:D

1214_bg.jpg

And we all know what happened next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Tazio wrote: »

Telephones - A/B buttons - rotary locks / telephone hall tables with coin boxes for when the neighbours called to make a call. The 2030h phone call to 'Nana' on a Sunday night. When you heard the phone ring in the house everyone would rush to answer it and shout down the phone number of the house! "Hello you have reached 51234".. .yea the phone numbers were 5 digits... and you'd recite all the numbers you knew to friends in school.... A huge thick telephone book too.

and these......
    467888.png

5 digits :eek: We only had 2, ours was 45. Never knew anyone that had 3 digits, im a small town boy right enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Non stop ads for Richard Clayderman albums on tv at this time of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The St. Patrick's Day parade was traditionally a live action advert for Abel Alarms. We've lost our way!

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/923-st-patricks-day-as-seen-on-tv/287770-st-patricks-day-parade-dublin-1979/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

5 digits :eek: We only had 2, ours was 45. Never knew anyone that had 3 digits, im a small town boy right enough

No way!!!

To thine own self be true

And we all know what happened next.

That's Eanna McLiam aka Johnny-One from Fair City as the phone wrecker.

Non stop ads for Richard Clayderman albums on tv at this time of the year

Or James Last!

branie2 wrote: »

Probably played his greatest film role in Angela's Ashes. Still doing the biz on stage these days. A pleasure to watch.

Tazio wrote: »
    and these......
    467888.png

:confused:

and what be dat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

We used to walk over ten miles home from discos in big groups. We used to talk to real people without technology.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    :confused:

and what be dat?

WTF! We stored our phone numbers in it beside the P&T or Telecom Eireann installed land line that took months to install!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

Walking to the phone box on a Sunday afternoon with 10p to call your boyfriend who was visiting his Granny and she had a landline. And getting him to call you back and the groans of everyone in the queue when they realised you would be talking for at least 30 minutes.

Walking by a phone box and it would ring and answering it and the person calling would give you a nearby address of the person they wanted to talk to and you would go and get them and leave the phone hanging.

There was a whole world before mobile phones and stuff still got done. I walked 400 metres to a phone box and queuud about 5 minutes to call my husband at work to tell him i was in labour.

Toys in cereal boxes, stuffing yourself with the end of one box so you could open the new one and root for the toy.

Milk was in bottles and delivered every day.

Comics cost 10p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

branie2 wrote: »

He was also in The Commitments lining up to buy drugs outside the Rabbites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    We used to walk over ten miles home from discos in big groups. We used to talk to real people without technology.

If you made a date with someone after a disco, you hoped they'd show up and vice versa, as most of us didn't have house phones.

How did we survive without technology for communication? :rolleyes:
    My mother always wrote and still writes weekly to her sisters (aged between 70s and late 80s)who live abroad.
    They take it in turns to ring each other, but they enjoy their letters more than anything.

I lived far away from my friends in the 80s.
    We didn't see each other from the beginning of the June school holidays, until we started back again in September.
    Funnily enough, we're all still friends 3 decades later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tringle wrote: »
    Walking to the phone box on a Sunday afternoon with 10p to call your boyfriend who was visiting his Granny and she had a landline. And getting him to call you back and the groans of everyone in the queue when they realised you would be talking for at least 30 minutes.

Walking by a phone box and it would ring and answering it and the person calling would give you a nearby address of the person they wanted to talk to and you would go and get them and leave the phone hanging.

There was a whole world before mobile phones and stuff still got done. I walked 400 metres to a phone box and queuud about 5 minutes to call my husband at work to tell him i was in labour.

Toys in cereal boxes, stuffing yourself with the end of one box so you could open the new one and root for the toy.

Milk was in bottles and delivered every day.

Comics cost 10p

Calling and praying that their father didnt answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement