Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Fugitives name is ...... Dr Richard Kimble

The Harrison Ford film in the 90’s was decent but the TV show was amazing. Black & white and was made back in the 60’s and they showed on Irish TV in the 80’s

Had a huge following. Was on quite late as I remember, maybe 10pm. Every episode our hero trying to track the one armed man, making friends with locals and keeping ahead of the Marshall

When the final espisode was to be broadcast the radio shows were hyping it up and people discussing what would happen. Twitter of the day I suppose

I loved that show and people of all generations watched it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Caught In A Free State.
    It was shown in 1983. Think there was Channel 4 involvement - they broadcast it around Easter 1984 - one of our teachers recorded it and we saw it again in History class when I started secondary that year.

Two of the German spies that it was based on were still alive at the time of filming so their names were changed.

Would like to see again - RTE have absolutely no interest in releasing this stuff nor do they seem willing to allow anybody else do so - the likes of Network or Simply Media would be ideal if they could get access to the RTE back catalogue. The latter released The Price last year. Hard-hitting drama about an IRA kidnapping that hasn't been repeated since original broadcast in 1985. Really worth a purchase.

I can't remember how or if it was portrayed in the series, but when the spies landed in Wexford my Grandad who was a postman remembered a very confused German man coming out of a field calling out to him and asking him where he was. Years later the spy was on The Late Late Show and told the story of how he landed in Wexford and had to find out exactly where he was from the postman. I remember family members trying to persuade my Grandad to contact Gay Byrne with this bit of trivia but he was very old and crotchety by then and wouldn't :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I can't remember how or if it was portrayed in the series, but when the spies landed in Wexford my Grandad who was a postman remembered a very confused German man coming out of a field calling out to him and asking him where he was. Years later the spy was on The Late Late Show and told the story of how he landed in Wexford and had to find out exactly where he was from the postman. I remember family members trying to persuade my Grandad to contact Gay Byrne with this bit of trivia but he was very old and crotchety by then and wouldn't :)

Nice one! I think there was one episode showing a spy that landed off the coast of Wexford - was of particular interest to us as I grew up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Nice one! I think there was one episode showing a spy that landed off the coast of Wexford - was of particular interest to us as I grew up there.

Yes, I remember there was great interest from my Dad's side of the family as they live near the Wexford coast :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Didn't the Nazis have an "Operation Green" plan at one stage early on in WW2 to invade Britain via Ireland, and we would have been invaded via a direct landing of German troops along the coast of Wexford?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Caught In A Free State.
    It was shown in 1983. Think there was Channel 4 involvement - they broadcast it around Easter 1984 - one of our teachers recorded it and we saw it again in History class when I started secondary that year.

Two of the German spies that it was based on were still alive at the time of filming so their names were changed.

Would like to see again - RTE have absolutely no interest in releasing this stuff nor do they seem willing to allow anybody else do so - the likes of Network or Simply Media would be ideal if they could get access to the RTE back catalogue. The latter released The Price last year. Hard-hitting drama about an IRA kidnapping that hasn't been repeated since original broadcast in 1985. Really worth a purchase.

There's part of an episode of Caught In A Free State on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/259144490

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The Price, there's a blast from the past. Another big RTE production from the time that's been buried is the Year Of The French. I haven't seen it since it was shown on RTE in 1982. They never repeated it or released it on video.

The Price is on YouTube. It's dated badly but I remember watching it when it was first released and being horrified when I saw the severed finger!

Apparently Year of the French is buried in the RTE archives and we'll never see it on DVD due to copyright issues etc. It's a pity because I remember it being on TV and being fascinated by the detail and story behind it. It was a huge RTE production at the time
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, we make bloody good TV here for the budgets that are available.

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Price is on YouTube. It's dated badly but I remember watching it when it was first released and being horrified when I saw the severed finger!

Apparently Year of the French is buried in the RTE archives and we'll never see it on DVD due to copyright issues etc. It's a pity because I remember it being on TV and being fascinated by the detail and story behind it. It was a huge RTE production at the time
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, we make bloody good TV here for the budgets that are available.

What are the copyright issues, do you know?
    As I said on previous page, RTE seem to have spurious (and untrue) excuses for not releasing archive material on DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The actress June Whitfield, who starred in two Carry On films in the 1970s, and in the sitcom Terry & June, passed away yesterday

What are the copyright issues, do you know?
    As I said on previous page, RTE seem to have spurious (and untrue) excuses for not releasing archive material on DVD.

Not sure, apologies. I remember reading it somewhere but think it's due to disagreements over royalties with the author of the original book, French TV, the Chieftains etc.
    I myself believe that they might actually not have decent recordings on file. For example, BBC recorded over a load of their old programmes and they're lost forever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

branie2 wrote: »
    The actress June Whitfield, who starred in two Carry On films in the 1970s, and in the sitcom Terry & June, passed away yesterday
    Also Gran in Absolutely Fabulous!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Also Gran in Absolutely Fabulous!

That's what my wife knew her from. When she told me June had died, I said "oh June from Terry and June..." and was greeted with a blank face.
    Kid born in 70s v kid born in 80s

Terry Scott from Terry & June also appeared in the Carry On films

It could be that or a testament to her broad appeal.
    Carry On
    Terry and June
    Absolutely Fabulous
    Last of the Summer Wine

That's a CV with the type of diversity last seen on TOTP in the 80s

Her last episode of Ab Fab, when she was 91 (!) she was sporting a Duran Duran t shirt, her character having confused a French chanteuse that Eddie was re-launching with Nick Rhodes because of the singer's bleached blonde hair and heavy eye - liner: "He loves his eye liner, that one." All delivered with a dead pan expression. She was a very funny lady.

Terry Scott from Terry & June also appeared in the Carry On films

She's strangely sexy in Carry On Abroad.

Not sure, apologies. I remember reading it somewhere but think it's due to disagreements over royalties with the author of the original book, French TV, the Chieftains etc.
    I myself believe that they might actually not have decent recordings on file. For example, BBC recorded over a load of their old programmes and they're lost forever!

I remember a good documentary on RTE drama was shown for their 40th anniversary in 2002 - lots of good clips on it - including The Year Of The French. Hopefully they're still preserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I myself believe that they might actually not have decent recordings on file.

It was almost certainly shot on film.

Scrap the cap!

The quiz show Where in the World? first appeared in 1989, and its first presenter was Marty Whelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

A couple of Australian mini-series that RTE showed in the summers of 85 and 86 I think. 'Return to Eden' and 'A Fortunate Life'. Both pretty good, for the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Today, Dec 30th and tomorrow, 31st, mark 30 years since the pirate radio close downs in advance of the introduction of the 1988 broadcasting act.

The end of an era that existed right through the 70's and 80's.

A couple of Australian mini-series that RTE showed in the summers of 85 and 86 I think. 'Return to Eden' and 'A Fortunate Life'. Both pretty good, for the time.

Return To Eden was brilliant.
    There was a three part mini series then a 22 episode full series. Still great today.

Fields of Fire too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Act of Betrayal 1988. Anyone remember that? I read the script in 1987 during shooting. An Irish family in witness protection in AUS.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Act of Betrayal 1988. Anyone remember that? I read the script in 1987 during shooting. An Irish family in witness protection in AUS.

Yes, John Lynch was the father of the family. He was in the IRA and turns supergrass.

Good Afternoon, with Thelma Mansfield, years before she presented Live at 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Remember return to Eden, quintessentially 80,s frothy fare, aussie take on American yuppie culture, back when Australia was itself still a backwater compared to the UK or America

I remember the name but cant remember a thing about it

The Dirtwater Dynasty was another Aussie mini series that was shown here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

On a rather sad note, Penny Cook, who played Vicky the vet in an Australian drama from the 70s and 80s, A Country Practice, passed away yesterday.

The second I read that the theme tune popped into my head :)

the events of the 70s disaster film The Poseidon Adventure take place in the early hours of New Year's Day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Honorable mention for Esther Rantsen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Prisoner C Block H .

Have to admit that I never watched it until the early 90's . One of my brotherin laws would record it for me , on video lol , and I'd binge watch a few episodes , excellent programme .

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Prisoner C Block H .

Have to admit that I never watched it until the early 90's . One of my brotherin laws would record it for me , on video lol , and I'd binge watch a few episodes , excellent programme .

Used to love that was only thinking of the freak earlier on lol

... he used to bring me roses, I wish he would again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The quiz show Where in the World? first appeared in 1989, and its first presenter was Marty Whelan.
    Reminded me of this...

Ring any bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Prisoner C Block H .

You rotten dyke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

branie2 wrote:

The saying 'Pass Aisa 9' became almost as popular as Fr. Ted references are today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

You rotten dyke!

Go away you Freak !

Films that will be 40 this year (made in 1979) include Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Moonraker and Monty Python's Life of Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Films that will be 40 this year (made in 1979) include Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Moonraker and Monty Python's Life of Brian.

And Animal House.
    Toga! Toga! Toga!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Aglomerado wrote: »
    And Animal House.
    Toga! Toga! Toga!

And Alien too.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

RTE should dig out the 1970s school drama 'The Spike' which caused the most scandalous scandal in its day. Got banned after it portrayed a woman in the nip, posing as an art class's model. They never showed the remaining episodes as far as I know.
    Didn't some viewer, an elderly man who was a constant critic who used to write letters of protest to RTE, have a heart attack during this disgraceful episode? Thankfully he survived, but all the bad publicity, and no doubt pressure from the church, caused it to be cancelled. At school the day after every episode, we used to discuss the happenings with each other, and even with some of the teachers!
    Great days.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Count Down wrote: »
    RTE should dig out the 1970s school drama 'The Spike' which caused the most scandalous scandal in its day. Got banned after it portrayed a woman in the nip, posing as an art class's model. They never showed the remaining episodes as far as I know.
    Didn't some viewer, an elderly man who was a constant critic who used to write letters of protest to RTE, have a heart attack during this disgraceful episode? Thankfully he survived, but all the bad publicity, and no doubt pressure from the church, caused it to be cancelled. At school the day after every episode, we used to discuss the happenings with each other, and even with some of the teachers!
    Great days.....

I have the book based on that series, I bought it in a charity shop years ago. I never saw the series though as I'm too young/ maybe wasn't born yet but I'd love to see it too! The book is quite good (and rare enough too I'd say!)!

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I have the book based on that series, I bought it in a charity shop years ago. I never saw the series though as I'm too young/ maybe wasn't born yet but I'd love to see it too! The book is quite good (and rare enough too I'd say!)!

As I recall there was a storyline concerning a teacher having an illicit liaison with one of the younger students - way ahead of its time in 1970s Ireland.
    The teacher's name was Curtin, and when a fellow teacher found out he hit Mr Curtin a wallop, causing a black eye. At school the next day, some student wittily shouted out "Is it hurtin' Curtin?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The nudey women got the media attention but it was more likely the unflattering light the series shone on our education system, its apartheid-like treatment of 'tech' kids and the interference of the catholic church which really got up the noses of the establishment.

Scrap the cap!

Animal House was actually made in 1978

Count Down wrote: »
    Great days.....

They showed the nude woman clip on some retrospective RTE show years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

And she wasnt even in the nip to us she was behind a paper screen or sheet.

The "sitcom" Leave it to Mrs O'Brien appeared in the 80s.

• Advertisement

tringle wrote: »
    And she wasnt even in the nip to us she was behind a paper screen or sheet.

There was one scene where she was posing for the art class and she was in the full nip, although the camera angles only showed her top half. :eek:
    It was done in the best possible taste, but to no avail....:confused:

Advertisement