Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

So is Spirit in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I remember cars that you had to use a choke on, my ma and practically every other woman with shoulder pads in their jackets, China Beach & Dallas on the tv, which was a little box in the corner.

A lot more people seemed to be smoking, red & white carrolls cigarette packets everywhere, super cans of coca-cola, condensation on the single glaze windows in the morning. Old people that fought in the 'troubled times' still knocking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Sardonicat wrote: »

You couldn't pay me to sit through a set by T'Pau, Bucks Fizz or Toyah. A couple of those acts I wouldn't mind seeing now (such as The Christians, maybe Level 42 - they always seemed to have a listenable tune out in the 80s, ) but most of them, no.

Bucks Fizz must be one of the most misunderstood bands out there. Making Your Mind Up is not representative at all. Classic pop tunes galore.

T'Pau's Bridge Of Spies is a cracker; the wheels came off with the second album Rage.

The Christians - great singles - When The Fingers Point and Words are two more goodies.

Level 42 didn't put a foot wrong until the Gould brothers left at the of 1987.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

branie2 wrote: »
    Animal House was actually made in 1978

it was shown in the cinemas circa 1982 , seem to remember seeing it as part of a double feature.

pretty ropey copy it kept breaking

presume the other movie was a horror as one generally went to cinema on a Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

He is the only one left.

He has an amazing voice.

Got to shake hands with him in Preston Guild Hall after a gig just over a year ago. The sound was crap there and he actually walked off stage until it was fixed. I could see the sound engineer having a meltdown at the side of the stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bucks Fizz must be one of the most misunderstood bands out there. Making Your Mind Up is not representative at all. Classic pop tunes galore.

T'Pau's Bridge Of Spies is a cracker; the wheels came off with the second album Rage.

The Christians - great singles - When The Fingers Point and Words are two more goodies.

Level 42 didn't put a foot wrong until the Gould brothers left at the of 1987.

While less successful than level 42, I liked curiosity killed the cat

First discovered music when I was ten in 1987 and I often late at night these days stumble across old TOTP on bbc4, watched an episode from summer 87 recently where pet shop Boys were no 1 with "it's a sin"

Every single single in the top 20 was a fcuking cracker

The charts were great round that time

I remember being on summer holidays in Newtownmountkennedy as a youngster and going to Wicklow town where Pierce Brosnan was filming Taffin. The highlight of summer 87 (I think it was?)

Saw Taffin only the once

Every single Irish person who ever appeared on TV is in it at some stage

Even twink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Mad_maxx wrote: »

It is not like everything was Grade A, but pretty much everything had some musicality to it. Today is quite different. It's not an age issue with the author before anyone accuses! There are some really good videos on youtube, by young people, showing from a technical aspect how the modern stuff is formulaic, contrived, sub-standard, and very forgettable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

While less successful than level 42, I liked curiosity killed the cat

First discovered music when I was ten in 1987 and I often late at night these days stumble across old TOTP on bbc4, watched an episode from summer 87 recently where pet shop Boys were no 1 with "it's a sin"

Compilations from then are amazing

Now 10 and Hits 7 covering autumn 1987
    Now 11 winter 1987 / early 1988
    Now 12 and Hits 8 summer 1988

The whole fatbox era is mint - so many memories in this bunch

61489476_10161963059630089_8342787734108110848_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=10b1ba9bc84d4942df494a95be26c329&oe=5D98F5B3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Saw Taffin only the once

Every single Irish person who ever appeared on TV is in it at some stage

Even twink

Home of some of the greatest acting ever:

Home of some of the greatest acting ever:

The fight scene with Jim Bartlett is worth it alone, some kind of fusion of kung-fu meets drunk Irish fella outside a chipper fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dermot Morgan played a host in the film who introduced a stripper act.

I'm going to see if I can download it this weekend and watch it with the brother, should be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

i was a kid of the 80's too young to really notice all the misery although i was aware of relations emigrating and the pain that caused to my aunts, looking back now my cousins who had to go were very young 18,19 only kids no wonder their mothers was upset.

but we lived in new housing estate, it was all young families so loads of kids to play with. we seemed to have complete freedom to do as we pleased. they were still building new houses at the back of the estate so it was just a giant very dangerous playground, the very best type.

there was a brilliant community spirit, the residents association arranged sports days every year and 5 a side tournaments and a big bonfire on bonfire night (23 June around here) with a barbecue and a live band. we would collect tires and pallets and what have you. i remember we once got a load of pallets from a local factory and the older kids (12-14) floated them down the river to the estate. in hindsight this was so mindbogglingly dangerous that it it happened now people would go to jail for allowing it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Drab, dreary, backwards, isolated, mono cultural, Priest ridden, blinkered, intolerant, poor, inward looking and depressing....

It was like another world back then in the70s & early 80s, then something happened, and the green shoots of "catch-up" were sown, and Ireland gradually began to pull itself out of the grave depression that it seemed to wallow in for so long post Independence.
    Very hard (impossible) for young people to know how black & white the place was back then.
    London was a great escape for many of us at the time.

Just remembered the 1st British shop (BHS) to arrive in Dublin on O'Connell Street early 80s, only to be picketed by Sinn Fein " No British shops here" their placards proclaimed :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

RustyNut wrote: »
    Life before Mobile phones, feckin bliss.

Smart phones really drive me crazy.

I'm just so sick of going anywhere and seeing people stuck looking into their phones. Go to a restaurant, standing at a bus stop, even at home with my housemate watching tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Drab, dreary, backwards, isolated, mono cultural, Priest ridden, blinkered, intolerant, poor, inward looking and depressing....

It was like another world back then in the70s & early 80s, then something happened, and the green shoots of "catch-up" were sown, and Ireland gradually began to pull itself out of the grave depression that it seemed to wallow in for so long post Independence.
    Very hard (impossible) for young people to know how black & white the place was back then.

Just remembered the 1st British shop (BHS) to arrive in Dublin on O'Connell Street early 80s, only to be picketed by Sinn Fein " No British shops here" their placards proclaimed :)

I'm pretty BHS opened in the late 70's. I remember getting a pair of runners from there at the same time my oldest sister got married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Smart phones really drive me crazy.

I'm just so sick of going anywhere and seeing people stuck looking into their phones. Go to a restaurant, standing at a bus stop, even at home with my housemate watching tv.

Id sooner people stuck in their phones than blowing head off me with small talk though

Ya...its annoying to look at...but alternative is multiple times worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'm going to see if I can download it this weekend and watch it with the brother, should be a bit of craic.

I don't have sound on my laptop on when I'm in work but a quick google turned up this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nfN0khSQAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm pretty BHS opened in the late 70's. I remember getting a pair of runners from there at the same time my oldest sister got married.
    Built in 1977 by G & T Crampton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

topper75 wrote: »
    I
    An Irish CB ran the rate for the punt. It was a currency/rate for OUR economy, not for a depressed German banking sector or a roaring Parisian property market. It was ours. By us, for us.
    And our politicians gave that away without ever asking us.

Was it not pegged to the value of sterling until the 90s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cgcsb wrote: »
    Was it not pegged to the value of sterling until the 90s?
    Think it was in 1979 with the inception of the ERM, which Britain did not join.

I was only a kid for most of it, I wasn't really exposed to a lot of the misery. I have a memory of people being less busy and burdened, I really liked the 90's. I don't like a lot of the legacy from the boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Very few people had a teletext TV in the 80s. Aertel didn't even launch until 1987.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

White dog sh*te and chewing gum flattened all over the paths.

Ush1 wrote: »

You dont really see either of those any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

The whole thing is on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nfN0khSQAM

Ush1 wrote: »

white dog ****e?

cgcsb wrote: »
    white dog ****e?

It certainly was. I believe it was caused by the content of dogfood back then. it has a lot more bone in it that cause the ****e to turn white.

It certainly was. I believe it was caused by the content of dogfood back then. it has a lot more bone in it that cause the ****e to turn white.

ew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I was only a kid for most of it, I wasn't really exposed to a lot of the misery. I have a memory of people being less busy and burdened, I really liked the 90's. I don't like a lot of the legacy from the boom.

I don't think a lot of people in Ireland personally have found memories of the 90s. It was considered a miserable decade for the vast majority.

I was a teenager in the 90s, from 1992, until the day before my 20th birthday in 1999

You dont really see either of those any more.

You don't live on the North-side do you? My neighbourhood and the ones adjacent to it are literally covered in a mottled blanket of dogs**t. I've seen tourists recoil at the sight of it, it's gotten that bad.

I don't think a lot of people in Ireland personally have found memories of the 90s. It was considered a miserable decade for the vast majority.

I was a young teenager, listening to rock music and the prodigy, working part-time and enjoying the hot summers. I had no major responsibilities, so I kind of have a rose-tinted view of the 90's.

na the 90's was a great decade it kicked off with italia 90 which is hard to describe if you didn't live through it or were too young but it was like a national rebirth or something.

then from about 1994 everything was on the up and it was there for all to see, and the country was changing in every way, church control collapsed, peace in the north, even silly thing like winning the eurovision repeatedly.
    the bad side of the boom didn't really materialize until the mid 2000's.
    the mid to late 90's was a really brilliant time in Ireland to be young.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I would beg to differ, as I think many other would also. The 1990s was the decade our economy turned a corner, the power of the church collapsed, Ireland became a much more inclusive and tolerant society and prosperity came to many who really struggled in the bleak 1980s. Great music as a soundtrack to a decade of rapid changes for the better.

Great time to be in college too!!:D

farmchoice wrote: »
    na the 90's was a great decade it kicked off with italia 90 which is hard to describe if you didn't live through it or were too young but it was like a national rebirth or something.

How was Euro 88 viewed? Fewer teams obviously back then but it was Irelands first ever tournament, I think they had some near misses in the early 80s from qualifying for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

September 1983

What need you, being come to sense,
    But fumble in a greasy till
    And add the halfpence to the pence
    And prayer to shivering prayer, until
    You have to feed the hound from the bone
    For men were born to pray and save
    And walk the street avoiding the sh1te
    With all that dog poo turned to white.

You don't live on the North-side do you? My neighbourhood and the ones adjacent to it are literally covered in a mottled blanket of dogs**t. I've seen tourists recoil at the sight of it, it's gotten that bad.

yes, but is it white?

• Advertisement

How was Euro 88 viewed? Fewer teams obviously back then but it was Irelands first ever tournament, I think they had some near misses in the early 80s from qualifying for others.

it was brilliant and joyous and it primed the pump for 1990. the day we beat England!! the 12th of June 1988 ill never forget it it was the day idid my confirmation and i refused to go out to a restaurant for something to eat, i had to go home to watch it.

then afterwards everyone was mad for Jackie Charlton and the team every qualifying game was followed so it just built and built for italy.
    the qualifying home games were always on a wedensday afternoon because there were no floodlights in lansdowne road at the time. so everyone would be trying to get off school. the principle took to making up spurious reason to have half days!! i think we were only school for one of them!!

yes, but is it white?

I'll get my coat, my rage towards the dog s**t situation has blinded me to detail

it was brilliant and joyous and it primed the pump for 1990. the day we beat England!! the 12th of June 1988 ill never forget it it was the day idid my confirmation and i refused to go out to a restaurant for something to eat, i had to go home to watch it.

then afterwards everyone was mad for Jackie Charlton and the team every qualifying game was followed so it just built and built for italy.
    the qualifying home games were always on a wedensday afternoon because there were no floodlights in lansdowne road at the time. so everyone would be trying to get off school. the principle took to making up spurious reason to have half days!! i think we were only school for one of them!!

I remember being very drunk in a bar that is no longer there.

Remember the Mexico 86 stickers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpKM4JPzeGQ

Joxer goes to Stuttgart sums up the whole thing.

''that day will be the highlight of many peoples lives''

the live version is particularly good just for the cheer that goes up when ''ray Houghton stuck it in the net''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The principal in our school used to put the match on the radio over the intercom so everyone could listen to the games. Or sometimes the first half, with the second half at home

I also remember that when Ireland were playing Italy in the quarter final of Italia 90, the game was on at 8pm on a Saturday night. The priest had half seven mass said in under 20 mins so he could get home for the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wish I'd been old enough to experience all that. My father has told me our town was crazy, men took off work and went on week long benders, he remembers fellas driving cars on the footpath blind drunk.

It didn't end well though, there was a mass brawl in the local hotel the night Italy knocked us out.

Was the stripper twink :eek: or was twink just a barmaid?, she was in it anyway

The stripper wasn't Twink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

I love 90s nostalgia until it gets to all that Jacks Army stuff. The 90s was a decade when Ireland was slowly liberalizing, the economy was finally moving, we were opening up to immigration and tolerance, when Seamus Heaney became a Nobel Laureate and Father Ted satirized the stifling Catholic orthodoxy that was passing into history. And then you’ve got a football team managed by a dour Englishman that play a notoriously negative game being feted as some kind of high point.

I love 90s nostalgia until it gets to all that Jacks Army stuff. The 90s was a decade when Ireland was slowly liberalizing, the economy was finally moving, we were opening up to immigration and tolerance, when Seamus Heaney became a Nobel Laureate and Father Ted satirized the stifling Catholic orthodoxy that was passing into history. And then you’ve got a football team managed by a dour Englishman that play a notoriously negative game being feted as some kind of high point.

Is that not understandable? He qualified Ireland for 3 tournaments in the space of just 6 years getting them to the QF (which they've never equaled since) and they had a lot of iconic players, compare that to some of the crap that an Ireland manager has to work with nowadays.

Yeah the football was crap, but no one has rivaled his achievements since. Pride in the Rugby team has taken over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement