Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...Usyk vs Bellew, November 10th...

• 14-09-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

...Just confirmed today, Bellew will drop back down to cruiserweight to take on Usyk...I think it is a step too far to him, but would absolutely love to see an upset...Bellew willing to take on all comers, and Usyk taking what could be a huge risk, CAN'T WAIT!!!...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Usyk would want to postpone all plans to go to Heavy unless he makes absolute **** of Bellew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Usyk would want to postpone all plans to go to Heavy unless he makes absolute **** of Bellew.

doesn't add up 15 wins out of ONLY 15 fights st 31 - undisputed champion off division he should be younger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think Bellew will have a hard time messing with the head of Usyk in the lead up to this fight, Usyk seems a very composed individual.

As for the fight,
    I will be shocked if Bellew wins this. Then again no one really expected him to beat Makabu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I think Bellew will have a hard time messing with the head of Usyk in the lead up to this fight, Usyk seems a very composed individual.

As for the fight,
    I will be shocked if Bellew wins this. Then again no one really expected him to beat Makabu

Why wouldn't anyone expect him to beat Makabu? What's Makabu ever done?

Usyk is a good two levels above Bellew. It's going to be a whitewash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Why wouldn't anyone expect him to beat Makabu? What's Makabu ever done?

Usyk is a good two levels above Bellew. It's going to be a whitewash.

100%.. bellew was found wanting at the top level 4 years ago.. uysk is better than any of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

100%.. bellew was found wanting at the top level 4 years ago.. uysk is better than any of those.

I never rated Bellew at 175

But he has kind of grown on me above this weight.

I think this could be a little more competitive than people are expecting.

Add in that Bellew is heavy handed. Has that kind of delivery power that absolutely can knock a man clean out, or at least really hurt him.

Johnny Nelson seems to think that Bellew can also box with Usyk...

Now, I think it's possible. He has good balance and good upper body movement.

If Usyk is not at all bothered by Bellew's power (which would surprise me) then Usyk may get in a really busy rhythm that simply is to much for Bellew.

But what if Bellew catches Usyk clean and really worries him, enough for Usyk to alter his gameplan, and to be not as committed or not as eager to let the hands go?

The bout is really intriguing. I am rooting for Bellew here, and may put a sneaky few bob on him

The one single question that really tells me what happens here is what is Usyk's chin like? Is it solid enough to take Bellew's best?

And please, not really interested in the line "he took Gassiev's best." Gassiev hit him with nothing clean and creakily hard...

The smart money is on Usyk via late TKO or points......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I think Bellew's power is a bit overrated to be honest. No real upgrade on Breidis or Gassiev before him. Usyk took flush shots from Breidis and took them well. 

Can't see anything other than a Usyk win. Depends on how aggressive Bellew fights whether he gets stopped or not. If he leaves himself open Usyk will make him pay. Think Usyk points is by far the most likely outcome though.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I think Bellew's power is a bit overrated to be honest. No real upgrade on Breidis or Gassiev before him. Usyk took flush shots from Breidis and took them well. 

Can't see anything other than a Usyk win. Depends on how aggressive Bellew fights whether he gets stopped or not. If he leaves himself open Usyk will make him pay. Think Usyk points is by far the most likely outcome though.

I think Bellew's punch delivery and style is a little better than Bredis, for this match up. Who hits harder? Not sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I took him at evens for the KO but could easily see it going to points as well to be honest, I honestly can't see Bellew being competitive enough to win but he'll have a puncher's chance I suppose. Bellew is hardy enough but Stevenson managed to KO him, now Usyk doesn't whack like him granted but I've a feeling he won't hold up to twelve rounds of punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

walshb wrote: »
    I never rated Bellew at 175

But he has kind of grown on me above this weight.

I think this could be a little more competitive than people are expecting.

Add in that Bellew is heavy handed. Has that kind of delivery power that absolutely can knock a man clean out, or at least really hurt him.

Johnny Nelson seems to think that Bellew can also box with Usyk...

Now, I think it's possible. He has good balance and good upper body movement.

If Usyk is not at all bothered by Bellew's power (which would surprise me) then Usyk may get in a really busy rhythm that simply is to much for Bellew.

But what if Bellew catches Usyk clean and really worries him, enough for Usyk to alter his gameplan, and to be not as committed or not as eager to let the hands go?

The bout is really intriguing. I am rooting for Bellew here, and may put a sneaky few bob on him

The one single question that really tells me what happens here is what is Usyk's chin like? Is it solid enough to take Bellew's best?

And please, not really interested in the line "he took Gassiev's best." Gassiev hit him with nothing clean and creakily hard...

The smart money is on Usyk via late TKO or points......

A lot of ifs in there, to be honest i think bellew will be outclassed badly due to the fact that he hasnt fought anybody even close to Uysks level in 5 years and is turning into a bit of a farce to be honest.

Uysks chin i dont think is in question here he hasnt been troubled to date. Its the fight game and anything can happen but with uysk priced up a 1/6 and all logical evidence pointing to a bad night for bellew i cant see Bellew doing it.

• Advertisement

A lot of ifs in there, to be honest i think bellew will be outclassed badly due to the fact that he hasnt fought anybody even close to Uysks level in 5 years and is turning into a bit of a farce to be honest.

Uysks chin i dont think is in question here he hasnt been troubled to date. Its the fight game and anything can happen but with uysk priced up a 1/6 and all logical evidence pointing to a bad night for bellew i cant see Bellew doing it.

Yes, ifs.....but on both sides....and we all uses ifs when discussing some matches......

Briedis smashed Charr at HW and Gassiev has taken a few lads out impressively as well. I'd be shocked if Bellew makes a dent in Usyk. I think his power is overrated, his boxing is underrated but overall he is incredibly overrated. Good lad, fantastic analyst but and average fighter who managed to get lucky at the tail end of a tough career.

Briedis smashed Charr at HW and Gassiev has taken a few lads out impressively as well. I'd be shocked if Bellew makes a dent in Usyk. I think his power is overrated, his boxing is underrated but overall he is incredibly overrated. Good lad, fantastic analyst but and average fighter who managed to get lucky at the tail end of a tough career.

I don't think anyone here is claiming his power to be lights out wow.....

But if you understand boxing and technique and speed and force and all that, then it stands to reason that he is a puncher type boxer/fighter. He possess naturally heavy hands, as well as possessing the necessary delivery skills to get the most from his shots.

Will he be able to tag Usyk clean and hard and have a real impact? I think it's a real possibility. Does he take him out? That depends on Usyk's chin and body on fight night...

It doesn't take a nuclear bomb to KO a man. And I am not ready yet to claim that Usy's chin is titanium, like the Olive McCall's or the Vitali Klitschko's of this world. On fight night they will be heavyweights.....

One example, albeit at a smaller weight was Manny getting clean knocked out by JMM. JMM is not a huge hitter, and Manny's chin is fairly decent. The prefect circumstances led to lights out there. Not a huge shot even. Just a mistake where Manny's forward momentum coupled with JMMs perfectly timed forward shot led to the lights going out.

But if you understand boxing and technique and speed and force and all that, then it stands to reason that he is a puncher type boxer/fighter. He possess naturally heavy hands, as well as possessing the necessary delivery skills to get the most from his shots.

Will he be able to tag Usyk clean and hard and have a real impact? I think it's a real possibility. Does he take him out? That depends on Usyk's chin and body on fight night...

It doesn't take a nuclear bomb to KO a man. And I am not ready yet to claim that Usy's chin is titanium, like the Olive McCall's or the Vitali Klitschko's of this world. On fight night they will be heavyweights.....

One example, albeit at a smaller weight was Manny getting clean knocked out by JMM. JMM is not a huge hitter, and Manny's chin is fairly decent. The prefect circumstances led to lights out there. Not a huge shot even. Just a mistake where Manny's forward momentum coupled with JMMs perfectly timed forward shot led to the lights going out.

JMM was an elite class boxer and an ATG destined for the hall of fame. Most reckon he was unlucky not to have a few victories over Pacquiao already.

Bellew lost to Nathan Cleverly and while he held a world title for a short time, he never beat a champion for it.

He will be completely and utterly outclassed. Quote me on that

JMM was an elite class boxer and an ATG destined for the hall of fame. Most reckon he was unlucky not to have a few victories over Pacquiao already.

Bellew lost to Nathan Cleverly and while he held a world title for a short time, he never beat a champion for it.

He will be completely and utterly outclassed. Quote me on that

Not with you. I never compared JMM to Bellew.

I used a KO scenario to explain boxing and situations and how KOs can happen that you may not have envisaged.

Away you go with the comparison between JMM and Bellew...

Not with you. I never compared JMM to Bellew.

I used a KO scenario to explain boxing and situations and how KOs can happen that you may not have envisaged.

Away you go with the comparison between JMM and Bellew...

It would make more sense if you used a scenario that better represented the disparity in skill between the two.

It would make more sense if you used a scenario that better represented the disparity in skill between the two.

It was a scenario where one punch ended the fight.

You're looking into this too much.

Pacman tripped forwards moving in, just as JMM threw a lovely punch......lights out...

I am not comparing the talents and skills and careers of anyone here...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Usyk will school bellee here. Huge difference in ability. Bellew wont get him drag him into his usual rubbish.

I guess myself and Johnny are the only ones trying to sell this fight.

Usyk likely too busy and skilled and varied for Bellew......

I just don't see it as clearly as others as regards it being a foregone conclusion.

I don't think he has heavy hands. He has some snap but nothing worth talking about tbh.

I don't see how he tags Usyk. His movement and way he sets up shots is quite textbook and predictable and with Usyk's weird and varying movement I think he'll quickly get quite desperate. I think Usyk has good whiskers. He's been in with some big lads as a pro and an amateur and fared well. Think I remember he was rocked by Beterbiev years back, who by all means is a small Heavyweight living in Light Heavyweight.

Marquez can bang. He had 40 KOs in 56 fights and Manny's chin was good but not iron like Floyd. But I agree, perfect timing and technique were far big a factor although I disagree, I felt it was a monstrous punch, a true once in a decade type punch.

Can Bellew do something similar? I mean I guess so but if we're going down this line then we might as well mention things like can Usyk get injured and Bellew gets lucky again?

• Advertisement

I guess myself and Johnny are the only ones trying to sell this fight.

Usyk likely too busy and skilled and varied for Bellew......

I just don't see it as clearly as others as regards it being a foregone conclusion.

I'll sell anything with Usyk's name to it but I just feel like this is a huge mismatch. Let's not forget Makabu floored Bellew early and Makabu was a midget with a cannon for a left hand. Usyk will land again and again and again and past fights have showed he doesn't get clipped too often and when he does he has a great means of covering up, fending off the onslaught and resetting. One of the things I love about Usyk and it roots back to his amateur days is when he gets clipped he instantly ups the gears and returns a few more of his own just to make sure that the judges are seeing him and just to make sure his opponent doesn't get too cocky. He boxes beautifully but he's well able to let go too when he feels the need.

Usyk will look to put on a show in the UK as he can set up some huge fights very soon. You'd imagine someone like Chisora and Whyte could be down the line if and when he beats Bellew and even Joshua is starting to hype him already. I fully expect a clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Is there any indication of the undercard for this fight, any big names on it?...Am really thinking of trying to get tickets to go to it...Am 50/50 whether to go to this fight, or wait and see if there is a Kahn/brook/pacquaio fight in December and try get tickets for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

...Is there any indication of the undercard for this fight, any big names on it?...Am really thinking of trying to get tickets to go to it...Am 50/50 whether to go to this fight, or wait and see if there is a Kahn/brook/pacquaio fight in December and try get tickets for that...
    Average enough tbh.

Anthony Crolla v Daud Yordan
    Ryan Walsh v Isaac Lowe II
    Joe Cordina v Scott Cardle

[/quote]
    Average enough tbh.

Anthony Crolla v Daud Yordan
    Ryan Walsh v Isaac Lowe II
    Joe Cordina v Scott Cardle[/quote]
    ...hmm, nothing really jumping out there as too exciting, think I might hold out for the other one, thanks :)...

Marquez can bang. He had 40 KOs in 56 fights and Manny's chin was good but not iron like Floyd. But I agree, perfect timing and technique were far big a factor although I disagree, I felt it was a monstrous punch, a true once in a decade type punch.

But was it a really monstrous punch, or a very decent clean punch that due to physics and circumstances caused the effect that it did...Manny tripped onto it as he moving forward as JMM threw the shot?

JMM is not known as a tremendously heavy hitter.....plenty KOs due to accumulation and accuracy/volume.

It's looking like it will be Chisora v Whyte 2 in December.

And another PPV. Unless the undercard is stacked I won't but this sh1t. Don't care if they give a "great" fight. They're both sloppy fcuks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I told you all that Delboy could be AJ’s April opponent!

...Funny, I was actually happy when I seen this post, thinking a great undercard fight...But seriously putting this on PPV Christmas weekend is ridiculous...No chance of me going to this, two slugs fighting it out is not really what I'm looking for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Bellew has an outside chance of a KO, more than likely he'll lose a wide decision. At least you know Bellew will give it a real go and will be trying until the last bell.

Advertisement