Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Maths Club

Options
  • 14-09-2018 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Six year old kid is bored with school already. Only fun he has is doing or "playing" maths at home. I'm looking for somewhere he can get simulation without being teased.

Dublin area is grand. I'm sure it's been asked before, so a link to previous is fine.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Have you looked into CoderDojo activities - programming? One of ours was very keen on maths & puzzles when young and still is. He became interested in chess, so chess club might be option. Also fond of strategy games on PC etc. Other board games and so on, cards even.

These sort of activities are stimulating as whilst they may not be 'maths' at first sight, they involve logic, thinking, planning and strategy etc. Which are the skills/ approaches needed for maths in the future. At that age, he's likely doing arithmetic in school, which can be very repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

We have tried chess, draughs, connect four,M and tetris but for some reason he doesn't comprehend. But lately he starts writing long maths questions with the answers asking if they are right - which they enviably are.

Mach 3 wrote: »
    We have tried chess, draughs, connect four,M and tetris but for some reason he doesn't comprehend. But lately he starts writing long maths questions with the answers asking if they are right - which they enviably are.

What do you mean by 'long maths questions'? Are these simply 'sums' or do they involve figuring out how to use same to figure our real life problems.

Mental arithmetic/ problem solving is also good. Used to do these with ours on car journeys. Encouraging estimating and strategies to figure answers out in the head.

I think though that whilst you can steer a child at that age towards certain things, the best results always come from following where their interests lie.

There are clubs/ courses around Dublin for 'gifted' children and I'm sure others can advise, we're down the country a bit. But I think they're mostly for an older age group.

But any games he likes that encourage logical thinking should likely take his interest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you spoken with his teacher?

Thanks Barry. Googled it after I responded. The "CoderDojo" sounds like what he's after.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Have you spoken with his teacher?
    Yes. He has received merit of the year award two years running, by two different teachers. It's more maths based that's why we asked here.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'long maths questions'? Are these simply 'sums' or do they involve figuring out how to use same to figure our real life problems.

Mental arithmetic/ problem solving is also good. Used to do these with ours on car journeys. Encouraging estimating and strategies to figure answers out in the head.

I think though that whilst you can steer a child at that age towards certain things, the best results always come from following where their interests lie.

There are clubs/ courses around Dublin for 'gifted' children and I'm sure others can advise, we're down the country a bit. But I think they're mostly for an older age group.

But any games he likes that encourage logical thinking should likely take his interest.

To answer your questions in order :

5-7 multiplication of random numbers thar he writes down ad hoc.

Yes, who doesn't

Believe me when I tell you he is steering what he wants do.

That's what I asked for and you gave what we looking for(thank you).

Fortnight exallance.

If he keeps the interest up into second level and whens he's about Junior Cert stage, you could ask about the 'maths enrichment' training that are run by UCD and Maynooth, typically on Saturday mornings.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mach 3 wrote: »
    Yes. He has received merit of the year award two years running, by two different teachers. It's more maths based that's why we asked here.
    I meant in relation to him being bored at school and differentiated work.

Cogs The Brain shop and Outside the Box near Naas have several resources that might be worth looking at.
    http://cogsthebrainshop.ie/
    https://www.otb.ie/

I meant in relation to him being bored at school and differentiated work.

Cogs The Brain shop and Outside the Box near Naas have several resources that might be worth looking at.
    http://cogsthebrainshop.ie/
    https://www.otb.ie/

Thanks byhookorbycrook.

I was at a parent teaching meeting this evening, the teacher has noticed he flies through his work and has been giving him stretchers to work through, and agreed to give more stimulating questions. Also is going to provide websites for him to work through at home till we find out what level he is at.
    CoderDojo got a good nod also.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement