Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with an Irish inheritance while living abroad

Options
  • 14-09-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

Anyone have an experience dealing with an inheritance from abroad - specifically the US. I'm looking to minimize the overhead of transferring money to the US without upsetting the IRS. Opening a non interest bearing account at an Irish bank and transferring account to account seems like the simplest idea. Anyone ever done/considered this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 redhen94

I've dealt with that. I decided to keep my money in a savings account in Ireland and use it when I come home. I don't have a home in Ireland now. But I visit there from time to time as I like to be in touch with my roots. The bank account is a bit of a pain. They won't let me have an ATM card. But I can go into any branch of the bank countrywide and claim some cash. Whatever I need for the time being. And that is okay by me. I'm not in the USA btw. I'm more Asia-wards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

redhen94 wrote: »
    I've dealt with that. I decided to keep my money in a savings account in Ireland and use it when I come home. I don't have a home in Ireland now. But I visit there from time to time as I like to be in touch with my roots. The bank account is a bit of a pain. They won't let me have an ATM card. But I can go into any branch of the bank countrywide and claim some cash. Whatever I need for the time being. And that is okay by me. I'm not in the USA btw. I'm more Asia-wards.

How did you go about opening the a/c ?

Don't really want to keep it long term as it'll complicate tax returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Anyone have an experience dealing with an inheritance from abroad - specifically the US. I'm looking to minimize the overhead of transferring money to the US without upsetting the IRS. Opening a non interest bearing account at an Irish bank and transferring account to account seems like the simplest idea. Anyone ever done/considered this.

Check this link. There are no taxes due on the inheritance or on transfer of same to a US financial institution.

https://estate.findlaw.com/planning-an-estate/how-us-tax-rules-apply-to-inheritances-and-gifts-from-abroad.html

Advertisement