Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammed by a Jailbreak developer

Options
  • 14-09-2018 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello, a person who is a developer of an app that allows users to install packages on jailbreaken iPhones put up a tweet saying that he has an iPhone 6S for sale, so I direct messaged him on twitter and I sent him the $200. I have messaged him to let him know that once he sends the iPhone to send me the tracking number. He said that DHL will mail the tracking number to him but after a few hours I messaged him again and he said that they still have not send him the tracking number. By this stage I began to think that I was scammed, I checked my twitter and there it was, I was blocked from sending him messages. I have contacted PayPal and they told me as I send the payment as family/friend they could not refund me, there was another option which was to contact my card issuer, which I did and filled out the chargeback form, I have a bad feeling that they will reject the chargeback. Not too sure on what to do, if anyone have any ideas please let me know. the following link is my messages to him. <SNIP>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i know its too late now ,why did you pay it as family and friend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭dobman88

Lol. How naive are you. Every one of his messages are red flags.

Need money now.
    I gave you a deal on 200.
    Ask a friend.
    Ring the bank.
    Can't wait until tomorrow, deal has to be done now.

You got scammed. Put it down to experience and move on.

If a deal seems too good to be true it usually is. I'm surprised people are still falling for this stuff. Unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 saleem

The reason I trusted this guy was because he was the dev of the app, anyway hope that bastard doesn’t scam Ian else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

saleem wrote: »
    The reason I trusted this guy was because he was the dev of the app, anyway hope that bastard doesn’t scam Ian else.

I'd be seriously concerned what payload that app carries.

Personly I would not trust someone who writes code to install packages on jailbreak phones facilitating phone thefts and god knows what ...

Mark it down to experience and don't deal with scammers....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭dobman88

Trust nobody m8. People are sh!tty, especially online

• Advertisement

Lesson learned, have been scammed before when I was dealing with bitcoin but anyway I won’t go into that. I think I need to give my bank cards to the mrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Criminal Dev of an illegal app is also a scammer shock horror.

You used the gift option and ticked a box to say you understood that you were sending a gift, were not buying anything, did not expect anything in return and accepted you wouldn't be able to get your money back so you set yourself up there.

You probably can still do a charge back but PayPal will put a lifetime ban on your card, bank account and email address.

No actually PayPal told me to ask my card issuer to ask for a chargeback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Prob best if you just stay away from the internet.

Unfortunately I can’t, I’m working in this area for a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

They will still ban you. I don't know why they advised you to do that, maybe it was one employee giving you reasonable advice.

If you do a charge back your bank will take the money back from PayPal and tell them to just deal with it. PayPal obviously won't like that and hand out bans for it.

Oh, ok. The scammer’s app team twitter username is twitter.com/apptappteam

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah whoever said that was wrong.

A chargeback is punitive on a merchant and they'll most likely blacklist you for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So your surprised that someone who develops illegal software did something illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Unfortunately I can’t, I’m working in this area for a living.

Lol

Being gullible is not an area

Lol true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

If only you hadn’t got that N73 online in 2008 your life could have been so different https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/58424832

Haha true but had to say that the iPhone 3gS changed my life back in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

You paid as family, friend, ticked the box for this, I don't think you will have a comeback, I believe in having goods on hand before handing over my hard earned money, bird in hand, better than two on bush

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

_Brian wrote: »
    So your surprised that someone who develops illegal software did something illegal.

Once a crook, always a crook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hello, a person who is a developer of an app that allows users to install packages on jailbreaken iPhones put up a tweet saying that he has an iPhone 6S for sale, so I direct messaged him on twitter and I sent him the $200.
    Complain to Twitter, and look to get his twitter account shutdown. He'll probably reopen it under a different name, but it's about all you can do; if the chargeback does happen, Paypal blacklists you.

Advertisement