Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build For First Time PC Owner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BArra wrote: »
    Looks like a steal, which cougar case is it?

I'm delighted with it, especially considering I didn't have to go to much over budget for it :)

https://cougargaming.com/us/products/cases/panzer/

Back again guys. Only the SSD to order now and I have everything so it's time to start thinking about monitors.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GZ1TAUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_b5kQBb3YX0PKN

But maybe there's something better I could pick up?

Depends on your budget really. Personally i'd steer clear of Benq. The below gets good reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078S36M7Y/ref=psdc_428652031_t3_B078S36XWV

Depends on your budget really. Personally i'd steer clear of Benq. The below gets good reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078S36M7Y/ref=psdc_428652031_t3_B078S36XWV

I was thinking about €200 but that's not to much above it either.

Edit: Am I going to need a 144hz monitor? I thought 120 would be enough for my build?

Either or. You won't notice the 24hz difference between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I was thinking about €200 but that's not to much above it either.

Edit: Am I going to need a 144hz monitor? I thought 120 would be enough for my build?
    144Hz monitors are generally more available AND cheaper than 120Hz now.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    144Hz monitors are generally more available AND cheaper than 120Hz now.

Yea spotted that when I started looking. I was just going to get a 1080 one.

Looking at the one above or this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B19T7QC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_oEnQBbHHK3R2S

Yea spotted that when I started looking. I was just going to get a 1080 one.

Looking at the one above or this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B19T7QC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_oEnQBbHHK3R2S
    Avoid, ASUS VG248QE is a model from 2013.

Avoid, ASUS VG248QE is a model from 2013.

Ok that's off the list so :)

I had a Gsync AOC 1080p/144hz monitor before and now have the 27" model. You can't go wrong with them. Usually get better reviews than the likes of an equivalent Acer or Asus model for a good bit less money. Very happy with mine but will be getting one of their Ultrawides next year.

• Advertisement

I had a Gsync AOC 1080p/144hz monitor before and now have the 27" model. You can't go wrong with them. Usually get better reviews than the likes of an equivalent Acer or Asus model for a good bit less money. Very happy with mine but will be getting one of their Ultrawides next year.

Cheers Grahamer.

I was thinking 27" was a decent size for me so I might just hang on and stick a bit more away towards it and then if I see something in Black Friday I can grab that.

Looking at Amazon the 27 in the one you linked is only £50 more.

You should get a deal around that time.

Quick question on my build again. Can I have two M2 SATA on the motherboard at once or will I need to get a normal SSD if I want to increase the storage in the future?

Quick question on my build again. Can I have two M2 SATA on the motherboard at once or will I need to get a normal SSD if I want to increase the storage in the future?

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/#Overview

Dual M.2 slots.
    *M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

**If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.
    Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
    Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

Check the manual & make sure to put the primary M.2 into the Ultra M.2 (M2_1) slot.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/#Overview

Dual M.2 slots.

Check the manual & make sure to put the primary M.2 into the Ultra M.2 (M2_1) slot.

Thanks again Kiki.

I was going to get a smaller one to load the OS on and have the 500GB to save files and games on. Then I saw that there might be a compatibility problem on PC Part picker and had a look on the ASRock website bit didn't really understand what it was saying :pac:

Everything is here now :) just need to put it altogether!!

Put it altogether this morning and I have fans spinning and power on the M2 Sata but no output to the display over HDMI. Will have a look at it again tomorrow when I get a chance though.

rotnXrP.jpg

Edit: it's working now.... We won't say why it wasn't though first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

Edit: it's working now.... We won't say why it wasn't though first :pac:

Paddy Powers have odds on that you had the display connected to the onboard video out...

Inviere wrote: »
    Paddy Powers have odds on that you had the display connected to the onboard video out...

Nope had it there first but copped I had it wrong, then I thought the graphics card only had a DVI so couldn't test the display out. Turned out I didn't even see the little plastic tabs covering the other ports until one of the lads pointed it out... Not a proud day :(

Does the cooler only fit in that orientation?

Well done though. Wait until it's pushing out all that 60fps goodness. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Nice Job, you could manage the cables a bit better if you can be arsed, run the GPU and Mobo Power from behind not tied together and bring them directly out from the back where required, for instance.

Aye the cooler looks like its 90 degrees off in rotation.

The black brackets only seem to fit that way and I didn't see a way to mount it onto the CPU any other way as the copper pipes only allowed the mounting arm to go that way? I could flip it 180° to face downwards though.

There's a mesh and vents in the top of the cash though so I thought it'd be ok that way :confused:

Inquitus wrote: »
    Nice Job, you could manage the cables a bit better if you can be arsed, run the GPU and Mobo Power from behind not tied together and bring them directly out from the back where required, for instance.

I haven't finished on the cabling yet. That was a rush job before I headed out. I've a few cables still plugged into the PSU that can be unplugged and that will give me more room to move things around.

I'm going to bring the GPU one up from the bottom anyway.

Corrected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The black brackets only seem to fit that way and I didn't see a way to mount it onto the CPU any other way as the copper pipes only allowed the mounting arm to go that way? I could flip it 180° to face downwards though.

There's a mesh and vents in the top of the cash though so I thought it'd be ok that way :confused:

Yes you can't rotate that cooler to blow air out the back with that cooler and an am4 socket.
    I think you would be better of rotating it 180 degrees though so it will be blowing air out the top of the case. right not it's warm air is blowing onto you GPU.

The Cooler should defo be 90 degrees round per below pictures.

Not on an the am4 socket he has, not possible

tuxy wrote: »
    Not on an the am4 socket he has, not possible

Aye just googled it and you are right, why on earth they have done that I don't know, it's not great for case airflow.

Aye just googled it and you are right, why on earth they have done that I don't know, it's not great for case airflow.

The cooler may have been designed before ryzen came out and they rushed the current mounting system to market.

Would I be right in thinking the current way he has it with the cursair case fans taking in air from the front and the cpu cooler taking in air for the top prevents good air flow.
    Having air come in for the front and out from the top(cpu cooler) and back(case fan) would work better.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes you can't rotate that cooler to blow air out the back with that cooler and an am4 socket.
    I think you would be better of rotating it 180 degrees though so it will be blowing air out the top of the case. right not it's warm air is blowing onto you GPU.

Yea I'll flip that around then. Took me ages to figure out how to get the fan to actually hook onto the cooler. It just made no sense :pac:

I'm missing the mounting bracket for the PSU though so may source a new one.

Advertisement