Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duty on Zenni order

• 15-09-2018 2:30am

Have been ordering from Zenni since 2008, have done about a dozen orders (for myself and elderly family members who are not internet users) and have never been asked to pay duty on my order but I was today. It bumped by order from just over €100 to over €133.

The glasses are so cheap and well made, even with the extra tax its still a great deal. I don't even resent the VAT (even though it should be a conversation that Ireland charges a luxury tax rate on prescription glasses), the only thing that annoys me is that An Post takes a €10 processing fee yet, don't allow card payments or carry change so they really don't seem to be earning their cut.

I have no idea if theres a crack down on Zenni orders, it probably doesn't help that Zenni are using much more visible packaging (turquoise with their name all over it) and also if I remember correctly in the past it often had the description on the customs form of "sample glasses" or something like that, this time it just said prescription glasses.

Its still a great deal but factor potential duty into your purchase and count yourself lucky if you don't end up paying it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I use glasses2you in the uk and find them good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I have a query about ordering online glasses; I have a medium prescription however I have bad astigmatism so always pay extra to get the lesnses as thin as possible; I'm considering ordering a pair online just for a change and am wondering do they automatically provide them thinned to a decent degree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I have a query about ordering online glasses; I have a medium prescription however I have bad astigmatism so always pay extra to get the lesnses as thin as possible; I'm considering ordering a pair online just for a change and am wondering do they automatically provide them thinned to a decent degree?

You generally get the option of choosing the lens type/thickness with some websites making a lens recommendation based on your prescription.

Advertisement