Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overbearing Salesperson

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

It's just a sales tactic, he wanted to find the key so he could leave it on the kitchen counter.

I see absolutely no issue at all as he seems very friendly.

Yes indeed! I like that train of thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@punisher5112 - leave it be. You’ve been warned before about the standard of posting required in Consumer Issues.

dudara

I've had some "chaps" calling to the door over the last week offering similar. He nearly forcibly tried to make me take his flyer- I told him no, as angrily as i could muster.

MO:

Ring the doorbell a number of times and knock loudly at the door at the same time- ANYONE, I mean, ANYONE, who does this, is to be given a very very wide berth- certainly not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

MO:

Ring the doorbell a number of times and knock loudly at the door at the same time- ANYONE, I mean, ANYONE, who does this, is to be given a very very wide berth- certainly not to be trusted.

Had exactly this last summer, the multiple doorbell rings and banging on the door that would wake the dead - he looked surprised when I opened the door, then offered 'gardening' services and shoved a flyer in my hand, claimed 'I do your neighbour's garden' which sealed it for me considering they are constantly out there themselves and keep it immaculate. Told him no thanks and he grabbed the flyer out of my hand and was gone. Was clearly up to no good so posted about him on Neighbourhood Watch page and kept an eye out.

pm1977x wrote: »
    Had exactly this last summer, the multiple doorbell rings and banging on the door that would wake the dead - he looked surprised when I opened the door, then offered 'gardening' services and shoved a flyer in my hand, claimed 'I do your neighbour's garden' which sealed it for me considering they are constantly out there themselves and keep it immaculate. Told him no thanks and he grabbed the flyer out of my hand and was gone. Was clearly up to no good so posted about him on Neighbourhood Watch page and kept an eye out.

If you're elderly i'd imagine that "banging" could feel terrifying- "job done" :pac:

I recommend and must remember to bring my mobile phone/camera with me when that knock happens again- they hate pictures :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ergonomics wrote: »
    Bit of an odd one but hopefully someone can give some advice.

We live in a rural area and for the last month a guy offering tree removal/landscaping services has been calling to the house to offer his services. He often comes before we're out of bed so we just hear the doorbell and, before we're up, he's gone and has just left his flyer.

The first time he came around I spoke to him and told him we weren't interested. I missed him twice and then I spoke to him again. I firmly told him the same thing and asked him not to come around again as I had already told him we weren't interested and that wasn't going to change. He's been back a few times since but we haven't been here. I'd say he's been here 9 or 10 times in total.

This morning he drove all the way around to the back of the house, got out of his van and moved something by the back door and then drove off again. He didn't leave a flyer or knock. He came and went so quickly that he was gone before I could catch him, even though I was standing at the window looking at him.

Is there anything further I can do or should I just grin and bear it? I threw away his flyer so don't have his contact details but will check with my neighbours to see if they have it.

I guess the piece of paper is a deflector, maybe he was hoping nobody was home, and when he heard noise inside, decided to drop in the flyer as a cover for what he was really there about, I trust nobody knocking on my door with offers, plenty people we know and can trust if we want anything done about the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Yesterday I saw a dodgy white van around the place, I got the reg and did a free vehicle check. It came up as a Renault Clio.
    Got a look at one of them, no Elvis haircut.
    Reported it.

Yesterday I saw a dodgy white van around the place, I got the reg and did a free vehicle check. It came up as a Renault Clio.
    Got a look at one of them, no Elvis haircut.
    Reported it.

I forgot to mention, my "chaps" had hi-viz jackets. You should always trust a chap in a hi-viz jacket. They must be a professional if they're in a hi-viz jacket and bang on your door. :pac:

Advertisement