Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What weed is this

Options
  • 15-09-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Loads of this weed in a new lawn. Long root and hard to pull out of ground. It has lots of stems with small red and yellow flowers which run along the ground. Very wirey weed. Cutting the lawn doesnt make a difference as the weed is down so low. Any idea what it is and how to get rid of it. I cant seem to load a picture using my phone. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could it be scarlet pimpernel? There is a yellow version too. Have to admit I have a soft spot for them.

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=202 they look big in these pics but they are very tiny, about 6mm across.

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=203&wildflower=Pimpernel,%20Yellow

Or is it birds foot trefoil https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_corniculatus

Edit, I thought the red and the yellow pimpernels were related but apart from both being in the primrose family, apparently they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Can't tell much from description only, but could be Birdsfoot Trefoil; that has two colours of flowers, and dark green leaves.
    It is a valuable source of soil nitrogen, natural fertliser; and will also be one of the few pools of healthy green when all other grasses etc are brown with drought....it doesn't make bald patches, either. ..consider keeping it?
    (Not a weed, but a wildflower)
    That is, if my I.D. is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

looksee wrote:
    they look big in these pics but they are very tiny, about 6mm across.

This is definitely a weed. Flowers are half the size of the head of a matchstick. This comes up out off the ground maybe 3 millimetre then several stems run flat on the ground a foot long, even longer if left grow. And on these stems smaller stems grow. I know hard identity with no pic. But I have no access to a computer, just my phone. But it doesn't look like and of the pictures posted.

Pretty much anything of that description that is smaller than a pimpernel would be white, with the exception of veronica which is about the same size. We really need a pic!

When I go to attach a picture from phone it says file too big. Amyone know what i need to do. Im not great with technology!

• Advertisement

Looking at common weeds and a weed called pearlwort looks not identical but fairly similar. Said to grow in wet land but mine would be well drained

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could you send the picture to someone who could resize it for you?

Take a pic with the camera set at a lower resolution?

Advertisement