Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absolute Cheapest Saorview Box

• 15-09-2018 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the cheapest Saorview box I can get my hands on? Just want to plug it onto an old CRT in an elderly relatives room so they can watch the Late Late in bed, it wont get much use, they wont let me buy them a new tv...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Probably this for €40, it also has scart connection which I assume their CRT has. There's not many cheap boxes around now as almost all TV's sold the last few years have it built in.
    https://www.freetv.ie/digital-tv/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Probably this for €40, it also has scart connection which I assume their CRT has. There's not many cheap boxes around now as almost all TV's sold the last few years have it built in.

Yep got this, grand little box,cheapest around. SCART and HDMI. Easy to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks for that, wasnt expecting it to record and play from usb for that price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks for that, wasnt expecting it to record and play from usb for that price.
    Oh you're gonna love the Saorview Connect :pac:

If you want to be nice throw an old disposable USB stick on it so they can pause live TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Ten Pin wrote: »

I got this box today and have a problem with the subtitles always being on. I switch it off in the settings but when i change channel they come back again. Very frustrating to say the least. Anyone else had similar problems with this box??

I got this box today and have a problem with the subtitles always being on. I switch it off in the settings but when i change channel they come back again. Very frustrating to say the least. Anyone else had similar problems with this box??
    That has to be a defect not a feature if true. I havent ordered mine yet. Is there any chance you're missing some kind of "Save" feature in the menus or on the remote after you make the change?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Oof thats a bad one, that has to be a defect not a feature though. I havent ordered mine yet. Is there any chance you're missing some kind of "Save" feature in the menus or on the remote after you make the change?

Dont think i'm missing the save as they do disappear on clicking OK only for them to come back when changing channels.

On page 21 of this manual it mentions the Auto-subtitles setting, have you tried setting that instead of just turning subtitles off with the button?

https://www.edision.gr/index.php?ACTION=_download_file&fp=4607

Setting it to Off I mean?

• Advertisement

On page 21 of this manual it mentions the Auto-subtitles setting, have you tried setting that instead of just turning subtitles off with the button?

https://www.edision.gr/index.php?ACTION=_download_file&fp=4607

Thanks, that fixed the problem. In fairness its a decent box for 30 euros.

Good, while you're there, do the channels change quickly or is there a big pause between changes? Ill be ordering one this week anyway.

Good, while you're there, do the channels change quickly or is there a big pause between changes? Ill be ordering one this week anyway.

Channels change very quickly. No noticeable pauses.
    Just one thing i need to investigate is to why i'm getting a No space on USB message even though i've nothing on the USB drive i've inserted

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just one thing i need to investigate is to why i'm getting a No space on USB message even though i've nothing on the USB drive i've inserted
    Is there an option to format the drive from within the box? I'm just wondering if the box doesn't like whatever format the drive is in now.

Good thanks.

It probably needs to be formatted by the box itself, see the bottom of page 23 of that manual for USB formatting. If FAT32 doesnt work try it again with NTFS, completely reboot the machine by unplugging after formatting before you try it, this will wipe the USB key by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

The OP asked for a Soarview bx. This is NOT one. It is a generic DVB-T2 box. No MHEG text, possibly other problems as not approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

winston_1 wrote: »
    The OP asked for a Soarview bx. This is NOT one. It is a generic DVB-T2 box. No MHEG text, possibly other problems as not approved.

The OP did not ask for a Saorview approved box though.
    But this can receive the Saorview TV channels, even though it is not Saorview approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Ten Pin wrote: »

Would this box work with an indoor aerial if an outdoor one is not an option ....13km from three rock transmitter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

At this stage people are throwing them out, you should get one for a fiver on some website.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Would this box work with an indoor aerial if an outdoor one is not an option ....13km from three rock transmitter ?

I have that box south wexford, think my nearest receiver is Mt Lenister 40km away. works fine with indoor powered aerial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

mobby wrote: »
    I have that box south wexford, think my nearest receiver is Mt Lenister 40km away. works fine with indoor powered aerial.

Messaged the guys who sell that box, they say they don't recommend using with an indoor aerial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

sonofenoch wrote: »

An outdoor aerial is recommended, and after that an outdoor aerial fitted in the attic would be the next choice.

sonofenoch wrote:
    Messaged the guys who sell that box, they say they don't recommend using with an indoor aerial

Well.... its working grand for me so happy days.

I've been using the record feature of this Edison box more often recently and have found an issue with recording. Basically every few minutes the picture glitches and you miss a small section of the record.
    It can be annoying at times. I have a USB stick connected to the front USB port.
    Anyone else have issues with recording ???

Cheers

I've been using the record feature of this Edison box more often recently and have found an issue with recording. Basically every few minutes the picture glitches and you miss a small section of the record.
    It can be annoying at times. I have a USB stick connected to the front USB port.

Cheers
    Sounds like the USB stick you're using doesnt have a high enough write speed, do you know the make/model? You usually need a minimum of 10 mb/sec to record live tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Antenna

Cheers

+ does it behave better if you record a SD channel instead of a HD channel ?

Advertisement