Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a PS4, what next?

Options
  • 15-09-2018 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, my brother just gave me a PS4 he wasn't using, I have the console, plug and a headset, nothing else. I know I'll need to source a hdmi cable and controller, what else should I be looking at? I was googling about Playstation Now, seems worthwhile?

With regards to controllers, I'm wondering is it better to get cheap 3rd party or second hand legit? Where's handy in brick and mortar? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Playstation Now would only be worthwhile to play specific games such as Red Dead Redemption, it's a bit expensive for a monthly subscription considering how many games you might get through in a month I don't think it's worth €15 but try the two week free trial and see what you like on it

I don't know much about 3rd party controllers but it depends on your preference, the official Sony will just feel better to use for most people maybe try and get your hands on one in store to see if you like the feel of a 3rd party one

Your b&m options would be Smyths, Gamestop and Argos for most things you'll need they'll have different offers at different times

Try and use a wired internet connection if possible because wireless isn't great on the PS4 even when beside a router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

God of war 3 and destiny are free with ps plus this month so would be worth getting a month even just for them to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Unless you’re getting an expensive modded type 3rd party controller I’d just stick with the official one, I’ve never seen/held a good cheap controller.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Don’t spend more than €5 on a HDMI cable. Did it not come with a controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Don't get near playstation now , head into your closest CEX and pick up a 2nd hand controller , and cheap games in there aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Don't get near playstation now , head into your closest CEX and pick up a 2nd hand controller , and cheap games in there aswell

2nd hand controllers are €60. That's more than new elsewhere... Games are cheap though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

There's an official red controller at the moment on Amazon Warehouse Deals for £36 so that be free delivery if you're willing to wait a couple of days extra. Got one with them last Christmas and I've had no bother with it.

Can't link as looking at it on the app on my phone and couldn't find a way to share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I don't have a PS4 or play on it but the games that i would get if i had it is the God OF War and the new Spiderman. I'm sure there's a few more but those ones stand out to me. I would get the exclusives, same with Xbox exclusives but everything else on multiple platforms would be PC. On PSplus is if you'd like to play online as it's not free as it was on PS3. Online(Amazon) or Argos or whereever cheaper for controllers maybe a secondhand store or CEX or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Official PS4 controllers are down to €44.99 in Argos.

https://pricescanner.ie/argos/

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey all, my brother just gave me a PS4 he wasn't using, I have the console, plug and a headset, nothing else. I know I'll need to source a hdmi cable and controller, what else should I be looking at? I was googling about Playstation Now, seems worthwhile?

With regards to controllers, I'm wondering is it better to get cheap 3rd party or second hand legit? Where's handy in brick and mortar? Any other suggestions?

I wouldn't suggest playstation now as you would need very good internet speed to even play the games. Thats what i found at least when i last used it months ago as there is no fiber in my area so my wifi is pretty bad. For games you might enjoy the exclusives such as god of war or the last of us. Perhaps the new spiderman if you're into that. Shadow of the tomb raider is also out now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't suggest playstation now as you would need very good internet speed to even play the games. Thats what i found at least when i last used it months ago as there is no fiber in my area so my wifi is pretty bad.

They're rolling out the ability to download games from PS Now, so you don't have to play them via streaming. Not sure if it's been fully rolled out by now, but should be finished in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Didn't bother with Playstation Now yet, although I reckon my internet would be fine. Grabbed Battlefield 1, it was a fiver on the PSN - it's fine. Campaign is short, already finished the first 2, but enjoyable.

Had to get Fortnite, my nephew had me driven demented, and he's taken great fun in reminding me how bad I am at it. Waiting for Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor to be delivered, and have Red Dead 2 on pre-order, which is the only reason I wanted a playstation in the first place, so that should keep me occupied until the end of the year I'd say.

Figured out how to set up HDMI device link last night, that has entertained me - didn't realise it would also work for the Sky box, so I can more or less stash the TV remote away now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Hi anyone know where I can get the playstation 4 slim white 1tb and what sort of price are we looking at? I think game stop selling the back colour for €350 but white one seems rare for 1tb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

beya2009 wrote: »
    Hi anyone know where I can get the playstation 4 slim white 1tb and what sort of price are we looking at? I think game stop selling the back colour for €350 but white one seems rare for 1tb.

Smyths have a few on their website and instore.

Smyths have a few on their website and instore.

Just checked and not seeing any for 1tb but say I get the 500gb one...do external drives work as extra storage if needed at a later time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

beya2009 wrote: »
    Just checked and not seeing any for 1tb but say I get the 500gb one...do external drives work as extra storage if needed at a later time?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Once your up and running a copy of the last of us remastered is essential imo.

Those white ps4 pro must have sold out pretty quick. Don't think a new one can be purchased anywhere in ireland.

Advertisement