Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with my tree?

Options
  • 16-09-2018 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am (attempting) to grow a sycamore tree and it has started to develop white patches on it leaves. When it just starting growing it had these as well and I just picked off all the leaves and the tree sprouting new healthy ones in the spring. However it has since grown and the leaves have turned like this. I worry that interfering when I don't know what I'm doing might harm the tree.

Does anyone know what this is and have any advice how to treat it?

Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It could be just the time of year, look at some other local sycamore trees. Or it could be some sort of fungus.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like a powdery mildew.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

looks like a powdery mildew.

Agreed. Look under "Trees" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sycamores tend to be disease magnets, if its not one thing its another. And if it does grow it will be too big for the average garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

While they pick up all sorts of stuff they are virtually indestructible.

It will be grand, until it’s too big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

Maybe some sort of spray? You know – to make it... syc-no-more??

I'm going, I'm going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Thanks guy, a kind of mold/mildew is what I thought it might be.
    Yeah I didn't reailse how big it would get so I plan to plant it in an open space.
    Yes they're meant to be pretty hardy alright! I just wasn't sure if I needed to do something or not or whether it was serious.
    :)

Advertisement