Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knockanally closing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Sad to see another one bite the dust

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Sad to see. Terrible situation for the members & employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I know there was a recent thread about this that was since deleted, but Kevin Markham has just tweeted that it is indeed closing.

I spoke to the guys in the Knockanally Pro shop today. I was told it was their final day. To say he sounded depressed is an understatement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What happens in these situations? Do members get anything back? It would suck to have your club close like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Kiith wrote: »
    What happens in these situations? Do members get anything back? It would suck to have your club close like this.

Depends who owns it. If the members they can sell the assets and then pay the liabilities and share the proceeds if any, if a private business then they usually get nothing. I’m not sure who owns Knockanally.

But most members will not worry about 3 months subs and would have known the risks and just be sad to see it close and start looking for a new home where they will get deals to compensate for the 3 months of membership lost. A lot might be on Direct Debit anyway.

Unfortunately the start of September and October is when clubs normally close due to the lack of funds in place to survive the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Very sad. I remember Brian Barnes won Irish Matchplay Championship there shortly after it opened. I think he beat Johnnie Young who was a teaching pro in Celbridge Driving Range. It was bought last year and new owners hired outside contractors and I believe it was in very good condition. It was very popular for society golf back in the day when clubs nearer Dublin were too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I know there was a recent thread about this that was since deleted, but Kevin Markham has just tweeted that it is indeed closing.

Unfortunately this is what I posted last week, the deleted thread. I used to play there very regularly a couple years ago and always enjoyed the trek. It's a great shame to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

only played it the once.
    nice place/setup.

but my abiding memory was it was also going to be my last time playing it.
    was a poor course in poor condition.

to be honest, and the way other courses in a short enough radius have gone, i'm kinda surprised it lasted this long.

still a shame to see a business/club close down, but i think it will only make other clubs around the area stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Depends who owns it. If the members they can sell the assets and then pay the liabilities and share the proceeds if any, if a private business then they usually get nothing. I’m not sure who owns Knockanally.

But most members will not worry about 3 months subs and would have known the risks and just be sad to see it close and start looking for a new home where they will get deals to compensate for the 3 months of membership lost. A lot might be on Direct Debit anyway.

Unfortunately the start of September and October is when clubs normally close due to the lack of funds in place to survive the winter months.
    It was bought at auction in 2013 by a UK based company called the St. Francis Group for €1.1 million. I'm assuming it hasn't changed hands since. As well as the main house and the golf course, there are also five houses on the grounds.

Carr Golf were managing the course apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

Seems to have been alot of interest back in in 2013:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/knockanally-knocked-down-at-1-1m-after-bidding-from-overseas-buyers-1.1514572
    Wonder what will happen to the course now. I assume its days as a golf course is numbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Too many golf courses and people with not enough time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

zep wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is what I posted last week, the deleted thread. I used to play there very regularly a couple years ago and always enjoyed the trek. It's a great shame to see this.

Let me clear up a few things.

Your thread wasn’t deleted, it was hidden from public view. We cannot allow a thread to continue without some solid proof, say it wasn’t true, it would have an disastrous effect on the club. Unfortunately this time, the rumours turned out to be true and the club has closed but what if it was only a rumour put out there by a disgruntled ex-member??

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Let me clear up a few things.

Your thread wasn’t deleted, it was hidden from public view. We cannot allow a thread to continue without some solid proof, say it wasn’t true, it would have an disastrous effect on the club. Unfortunately this time, the rumours turned out to be true and the club has closed but what if it was only a rumour put out there by a disgruntled ex-member??

I appreciate that, i did have concrete info on the closure, but as it hadn't been officially announced I did post to request it be binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I played it back in May and it was in great condition. It had really started to gel together as a good, challenging course which was only going to get better. I used to play there as a young teenager just after it opened, and the difference between then and now is unreal.

Unfortunately, it was just far away from any decent population centre to be anything but a peripheral once-a-year visit for lots of people. I’m very sorry it’s gone.

Advertisement