Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry cycle 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Am curious to know from anyone who did the ROK yesterday what the numbers partaking were like? Last time I did it was 2015/2016 and the numbers then were IMO excessive and the whole experience very unpleasant. Has it improved since?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Have been doing it each year since 2014. This year was noticeably quieter. On previous years you could easily get "boxed in" on the inside but there was less chance of that this year.
    There was still a constant stream of cyclists and you'd never be on the road on your own but there was more space.
    We didn't get any rain this year - the first time in 9 ROKs for me not to get at least one brief shower. Weather was perfect really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Seadin

Am curious to know from anyone who did the ROK yesterday what the numbers partaking were like? Last time I did it was 2015/2016 and the numbers then were IMO excessive and the whole experience very unpleasant. Has it improved since?

I say approx 6000-7000 cyclists for 2019. In 2015 /2016 there would have close to 12000 cyclists. There were a continuous line of cyclists on the road all the way around the ring back then. This year there was plenty of gaps and alot safer i must say. Like every year there are always a few idiots descending off molls gap at crazy speeds. Dont know what can be done to stop that as its unsafe with other cyclists using the road as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭moggie123

Really enjoyable day ,really well organised and a great atmosphere.Did it five years ago and does seem to be fewer people. However a great event Everyone with me enjoyed it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A great day and yes, definitely less participants this year. BUT, IMO it made the event better in that the roads were not congested like they have been in previous years. A great atmosphere at the Start/finish area and also in Cahirciveen and Kenmare food stops. The volunteers were brilliant!

It really is a great event and other events could learn a lot from how this event is run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

First time in a cycle like this, really enjoyed it.

Volunteers were absolutely brilliant.

Bike repair stands, first aid stands, food and water stands dotted around the Ring. Recover vehicles constantly doing laps and checking everyone was okay.

One of the best organised events I've ever come across!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

banjobongo wrote: »
    Im thinking of doing this event next year. I checked out their website but there are no details on the two questions I have so Im hoping somebody on this forum can help?

1/I understand each person entering the event needs to raise funds for a chosen charity. What is the amount of funds you need to raise per person?
    2/I would be hoping to do this with my son, who will be 16 yrs old, is there a minimum age you need to be?

On a different note, I have type 1 diabetes, has anybody else done this event with type 1 diabetes?

(Some background info on myself = mid 50s, pretty fit, exercise every day, between gym and swimming and usually do around 1 cycle per week all year around usually 20 - 30K but regularly do 50 - 60K and I have often done a few 80 - 100K cycles before....)

If comparison is of any use to you in deciding if you would be able to do it: my wife and her cycling gang are all in their 50s and 60s and one is over 70. Some have their various health issues, replaced hip, etc.

Their way of doing is typical of the approach by a large cohort of locals over the past 30 years. They don't take themselves too seriously as cyclist, do 'a bit of training' - less than you - and thouroughly enjoy the challenge and their day out.

However, they do go easy and make a long day of it, take regular stops and enjoy the company and craic. This particurlar gang averaged nearly 20kph this year but were out for 12 hrs. They were on the road by 6AM and there's a steady stream of cyclists from 5AM. This also is part of the local way of approaching it (they would also have a strong affinity with the benificiary charities and 'visitors' or younger riders perhaps might not buy into the atmosphere in the same way or see the same 'value' from the entry fee).

So, like any event, how you can last will depend on your speed, relative to your fitness and the distance. Take it easy and you'd be fine with your general level of fitness.

You'd probably get medical adivce on the diabetes but there is very good medical support at the event. I attended a number of organizational meetings two years ago and can't remember the exact numbers, but I think there were two medical stations, staffed by pretty qualified people - including doctors etc - and around 10 first-aid points. There were also a large number of ambulances at various points. So, you should have good medical support if necessary.

There's a also a good number of mobile and fixed repair stations.

As reported, the numbers are down to around 6,000 this year and, given the cost and the decline in sportive numbers generally, it may not get much beyond that. I think it's capped at 7,000 now anyway. (update - I see here .. that there are three medical posts and other such info).

It also says that "all participants must be over the age of 18".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

TGD wrote: »
    Some have their various health issues, replaced hip, etc.

I had a hip replaced almost 10 years ago.
    Thats when it stopped being a health issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Seadin wrote: »
    It's alot quieter today than any other years i did it. You would know the numbers were down. Probably safer though in the long run. It went out of control with numbers few years ago.

Sorry to miss you on the road, but saw a lot of Sliabh Luachra jerseys!

Sorry to miss you on the road, but saw a lot of Sliabh Luachra jerseys!

So, what did you do it on this year?

• Advertisement

Gus Farrell's (RIP) 1930's High Nelly. Sure once you're up on it you're halfway there?

Will you make the Vintage Classic?

Brendan

Afraid not.
    My (bike's) inferiority complex has gotten worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i've never done the ROK..i have done the Tour de Burren and i found that tough going is the ROK tougher?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

fryup wrote: »
    i've never done the ROK..i have done the Tour de Burren and i found that tough going is the ROK tougher?

See post #38... The ROK is not a tough route. Just do it at your own pace and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Have done the ROK a few times now and whilst I have been critical of the organisers in the past, this is a completely different beast of an event. It's very well run, has brilliant support in place and the feed stations are second to none. Saturday was perfect weather wise and conditions could not have been better.
    It's hard not to appreciate the work put into it from all the volunteers, charities, gardai, medical help and support crews. Whilst it's one of the more expensive events it's worth the money for the support and the vastly different experience to any of the other cycle sportives.
    Though numbers might have been down, many of the (more serious) cycle clubs will focus on other events and shun this event..... probably no bad thing.
    I hope the numbers attending remain static from this year on and it has continued success.

Folks here's OldVelos curtain closer on ROK 2019. Hope you enjoy it and that it brings back happy memories

http://www.oldvelos.com/if-strava-measured-incredulity-wed-be-right-at-the-top/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Advertisement