Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So anxious all of the time. Any advice?

Options
  • 16-09-2018 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

I left my first job due to severe stress. I work in the childcare sector which is understandably a very stressful job by its very nature.
    I am now in a new job (same sector) and am nearly in new job a month.
    Even despite my previous experience, everything in new job is done so differently, its such an adjustment.
    I don't find those I work with to be particularly friendly or helpful whatsoever. I am in a new role and still trying to find my feet. I find them short, and generally irritable with me
    I am being overwhelmed by the anxiety of it all. Everyone thinks Im too quiet and I don't know what to do..Im panicking all the time.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

I think the best place to start would be a chat with your GP. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I agree- GP is your next step. You’ve posted here multiple times about the same issue, you are not getting the support you need from strangers on the internet. See your GP in the morning and take it from there. If you are under 25 you could also try phoning Jigsaw- they support young people with anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Why is childcare a very stressful job?

I have an ex who was a Montessori teacher and it seemed like the most chilled thing in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Hello 1

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Why is childcare a very stressful job?

I have an ex who was a Montessori teacher and it seemed like the most chilled thing in the world.

https://www.theempowerededucatoronline.com/2015/10/stress-anxiety-in-the-early-childhood-profession.html/

• Advertisement

Hello 1 wrote: »

Couldn't you apply this logic to many jobs though?

I'm a manager (senior) and it would be fair to say I have a high pressure role - managing people, balancing a budget, helping direct our product, meeting customers, long hours, etc. - but I'm not falling apart.

I feel there is something else going on here.

Would you consider talking to a doctor or psychiatrist?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree, it is probably not the job.

Whether it is job related stress or an under lying disorder it is very important to get help so that OP can better manage their anxiety and build up their emotional resilience in the work place.

Even with stressful/emotionally draining jobs people who work in them must be able to cope effectively or else they are in the wrong job because your health is your wealth and long term anxiety/high stress levels is not something anyone should have to accept.

So OP go to your GP and get help for a diagnosis and treatment, it is also very important with anxiety to take time off it is getting that bad and doing things which will help manage the symptoms, there are resources available to you now to speak to someone over the phone or learn coping tools online while you are waiting for treatment for anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Hello 1

Thanks all.
    Just get the impression that everyone I work with is constantly on edge due to a very strict manager and taking it out on me and each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Watching with interest. My problem isn’t my job or manager but how I think I interact with people. I’m naturally friendly and talkative and nice but sometimes anxiety gets the worst of me and I often avoid situations because I feel so pressured to make conversation and then feel like I want a hole to swallow me into the ground. People I get on with very well and would consider best friends I have fallen to feeling very awkward around them for no reason and not being able to speak. It’s haunted me for a while now. I watch other people making jokes back and forth and chatting and I often feel like my brain just goes blank cause I’m worrying. Then make myself sound so awkward. For example if I’m walking towards somewhere and see someone I know I instantly almost feel sick and get nervous worrying about speaking to them. I often purposely take different lunch breaks to people that consider us friends because if I had to speak to them the awkwardness takes over
    Everyone must think I’m really ignorant cause all I say is hello and I’m always on my own. Always. When really my head is just drowning in nerves

I literally have not bonded with anyone in years and never get past the formal part of a friendship or communication despite others being able to. I remember in college last year (I dropped out) I was in a group of girlfriends but everyone seemed to bond and become best friends and I always just excluded myself in my mind, I’d go so quiet in the group and worried about what to say next.

It’s so bloody annoying as my true nature is talkative and friendly but life just seems to have put this **** on me. Maybe due to years of smoking weed and there comes paranoia/ nervousness.

I don’t feel like it’s serious enough to bring to a gp but then again it’s after taking over my whole life. I see people I know bonding and being best friends thinking I should be at that stage and can see them wondering why I’m so stand offish and don’t talk to them and awkwardly say hello every single time I see them.

It’s just so ‘cagey’ I wish it would go away!!

Hello 1 wrote: »
    Thanks all.
    Just get the impression that everyone I work with is constantly on edge due to a very strict manager and taking it out on me and each other.

Have you ever worked in a job where you didn't think people were putting you under pressure or making you feel anxious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've experienced fairly serious anxiety in working environments before, I've since been diagnosed with autism and dyslexia, your next port of call should be your gp. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wanderer78 wrote:
    I've experienced fairly serious anxiety in working environments before, I've since been diagnosed with autism and dyslexia, your next port of call should be your gp. Best of luck

Exact same for me. Getting a diagnosis actually took some of the stress out of my life almost instantly. It explained so much in my life. It was like pieces of a jigsaw all clicking into place all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Exact same for me. Getting a diagnosis actually took some of the stress out of my life almost instantly. It explained so much in my life. It was like pieces of a jigsaw all clicking into place all at once.

more or less same experience here

Advertisement