Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medela breast pumps can they be reused?

Options
  • 16-09-2018 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi, I’m wondering can the Medela Swing single breast pump be reused if replacement parts are purchased? I used it myself two years ago and it’s been in storage since. Just not sure as i think it’s a closed system? Of course their information online isn’t great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Never knew them not to be reusable

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Hi, I’m wondering can the Medela Swing single breast pump be reused if replacement parts are purchased? I used it myself two years ago and it’s been in storage since. Just not sure as i think it’s a closed system? Of course their information online isn’t great!

The Medela swing is an open system therefore it is possible for milk to get into the motor which could lead to mould. It’s been 4 years since I’ve used mine so for peace of mind I’m getting the spectra s1 as it’s a closed system.

It’s a tricky one as you can definitely replace the parts but there’s no guarantee you wouldn’t have mould at the motor. There is a place in Wicklow that refurbish them actually- not sure of the name, might not be handy for you anyway! But they can’t guarantee it’s completely clean after this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yes, it's an open system so one woman one baby only, I'm afraid.

This is one of the reasons I bought a spectra instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

I was at a bf info session last week and the facilitator mentioned this issue. She said you can send the open system pump back to the manufacturer for servicing and they can be used again then. It’s worth contacting the manufacturer before buying a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

You can buy a spectra for maybe €60 (or less) brand new......well worth. Look up amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Just FYI for anyone interest this is response from Medela...

Thank you for taking the time to contact Medela regarding your Swing Breastpump. Although we do offer a testing service if there is an issue with a customer’s breastpump, there is no service option available. Medela Breastpumps are not generally serviceable items and if there is an issue under warranty parts are normally replaced and not repaired.

Generally it should be fine for you to use your breastpump for a second or third child if it has been stored in a dry secure place. If you feel there may be mould inside the unit we would advise you discard and purchase a new motor unit or breast pump.

If you wish to send the breastpump in for testing we request you send the pump and all of the consumables to us after first requesting a Medela returns reference. Delivery and collection would be your responsibility, and any new parts required are chargeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Millem wrote: »
    You can buy a spectra for maybe €60 (or less) brand new......well worth. Look up amazon
    Do you have a link you could share? I am only seeing it for minimum £130 on amazon.co.uk.... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Medicare is in Wicklow, and they do offer a servicing service. Although given the above line from medela, I don’t know how believable that is now!
    I sent mine to them between my second and third babies, and they checked it out, and said there was no signs of any moisture in the motor, so I was happy to use it again

According to the instructions operating life is 275 hours service life is 2 years. Wouldn't use past this. This carries a warning too in the US. Parts only to be replaced in this window if parts are damaged or broken.

Advertisement