Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axolotyl assistance

• 16-09-2018 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello- I've recently inherited a 23l tank- I did loads of research into fish etc online and I like the look of the Axolotyl- they seem low enough maintenance and very interesting. I know they would need a big tank soon but would a 23l be ok for now until Xmas if the are just juveniles? Or maybe just one? Is one ok? I'm not very knowledgeable so I don't want to rush into making any silly decisions just cuz they look "cool". I would appreciate any help or maybe I shouldn't be looking at them at all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SteffiBubbles

Hello- I've recently inherited a 23l tank- I did loads of research into fish etc online and I like the look of the Axolotyl- they seem low enough maintenance and very interesting. I know they would need a big tank soon but would a 23l be ok for now until Xmas if the are just juveniles? Or maybe just one? Is one ok? I'm not very knowledgeable so I don't want to rush into making any silly decisions just cuz they look "cool". I would appreciate any help or maybe I shouldn't be looking at them at all!

A good start would have been to spell Axolotl correctly 🙄🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The minimum tank size for one of them is 20G, so you'll need to start off with a bigger tank. I've never kept them and I don't know anyone who has. How are planning on sourcing them? A 23L tank would only be suitable for shrimp.

Berserker wrote: »
    The minimum tank size for one of them is 20G, so you'll need to start off with a bigger tank. I've never kept them and I don't know anyone who has. How are planning on sourcing them? A 23L tank would only be suitable for shrimp.

They actually had them in petmania..I went in to chat to them and they said two would be fine in a 30l tank- but any research I've done says the opposite. I think it's possible she was just trying to make a sale! Imagine! But the small tank would only be for the meantime..even for 3months...as I said this is the first time having a tank for years so don't want to rush into buying a huge tank right away...but I know if I want any fish I'm realizing I need a much bigger tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ignore any advice you get in Petmania. Last time I saw them carrying Axolotls, there were 2 dead ones in the tank.

We kept one for about 9 months in an 180l tank. They're very cool creatures but ours didn't survive because we struggled to keep the water in the tank cool enough for her in the summer. The ambient temperature of most homes in Ireland is just too high for them so you'd need an active chilling system in the tank.

They should only be kept individually, or in tanks with dividers as even siblings / a mating pair will kill each other in anything other than an *enormous* tank. They're quite territorial.

Your tank really is only suitable for shrimp or an aquascape of plants. Realistically, anything much smaller than 60l just isn't suitable for keeping fish in (and even then, you need to do your research, a couple of guppies / mollies / tetras etc. would be fine in a tank that size. A goldfish / pleco / angelfish isn't likely to survive long.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Ignore any advice you get in Petmania. Last time I saw them carrying Axolotls, there were 2 dead ones in the tank.

We kept one for about 9 months in an 180l tank. They're very cool creatures but ours didn't survive because we struggled to keep the water in the tank cool enough for her in the summer. The ambient temperature of most homes in Ireland is just too high for them so you'd need an active chilling system in the tank.

They should only be kept individually, or in tanks with dividers as even siblings / a mating pair will kill each other in anything other than an *enormous* tank. They're quite territorial.

Your tank really is only suitable for shrimp or an aquascape of plants. Realistically, anything much smaller than 60l just isn't suitable for keeping fish in (and even then, you need to do your research, a couple of guppies / mollies / tetras etc. would be fine in a tank that size. A goldfish / pleco / angelfish isn't likely to survive long.

Thank you guys for the advice- it really makes you think of all those poor goldfish in small bowls.... I think I will revisit the fish idea after Christmas when I have a few more euro and can male a better environment for any fish I buy...the Axolotl probably would be too much for someone inexperienced..wouldn't like to endanger anything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Thank you guys for the advice- it really makes you think of all those poor goldfish in small bowls.... I think I will revisit the fish idea after Christmas when I have a few more euro and can male a better environment for any fish I buy...the Axolotl probably would be too much for someone inexperienced..wouldn't like to endanger anything!

Yeah, I'd recommend that you take a good look around before deciding what fish to get. Keep an eye on the online auction sites for second hand aquariums. You can save a serious chunk of money buying from there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Get your water tested for ph/ hardness etc etc, as its easier to match the fish to your water than to try change the water to suit the fish

Silverfish wrote: »
    Get your water tested for ph/ hardness etc etc, as its easier to match the fish to your water than to try change the water to suit the fish

Great point! We are in KK which is full of lime! I wondered how that would effect a fish!

Advertisement