Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee storage

• 16-09-2018 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

Hey lads

Seeing conflicting advice online re storing in airtight container in your cupboard or airtight container in fridge. I use store bought ground coffee for aeropress and would be a once a day max drinker. A bag would last me 3 weeks and sometimes more. Instructions on bag generally say store in fridge for up to a month but some online resources say not to do that.
    Advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got s storage jar from IKEA. Works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I store it in the bag it came in, with rubber-bands keeping it sealed tight in the cupboard and use it all with-in 3 to 4 weeks. I don't store it in the fridge or freezer because that adds moister to the coffee beans and ruins the flavor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

I store it in the bag it came in, with rubber-bands keeping it sealed tight in the cupboard and use it all with-in 3 to 4 weeks. I don't store it in the fridge or freezer because that adds moister to the coffee beans and ruins the flavor.

Is that video not more related to fresh coffee though? I'm talking about supermarket bought coffee. Or would storage and storage length guidelines be the same for both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

With store bought coffee a nitrogen flush is used to help preserve the coffee on the store shelf. Once the bag is open and exposed to the air the clock is ticking on freshness and taste. Store it in the bag in a dark cupboard or get a fancy coffee jar that takes the air out. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00167XN14/ref=as_at?slotNum=0&keywords=planetary+designs+airscape&ie=UTF8&sr=8-1&linkCode=g12&linkId=122d748556b30b1b0053199ea990aa58&imprToken=T0RPzdclTgQiVBJoDgUl.w&creativeASIN=B00167XN14&tag=homegrounds-21

Storing it the fridge or freezer would still add moister to the coffee and ruin the flavor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Storing it the fridge or freezer would still add moister to the coffee and ruin the flavor.

You can avoid this though by vacuum sealing the beans, or using a frost-free freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Classic "Fridge vs Cupboard" discussion with Gran Hermano (RIP)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59533522

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cathbadhian

Everywhere I looked comes down in two camps - the "fridge is death to all coffee" side is the most populous (and considering cold means condensation I agree without needing to think too long). The second, which doesn't make a lot of sense to be honest, is the side where there's a general concept of cold preserving anything, even coffee. That works when you're worried about bacteria. For coffee, it's actually exposure to air, water and light that's important.

For what it's worth, I have vacuum sealed canisters for ground coffee, and also for beans I'm keeping for up to a few weeks. They're all opaque, so protected from light too. I then transfer a few days worth of coffee to some smaller airtight containers whenever needed. I'm mostly grinding my own coffee now, and that simplifies things a lot since I just grind a day or two's worth for my press if I feel like it out of the beans to hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

This is wholely, 100%, absolutely incorrect. All fridge systems have the opposite effect - they tend to dry everything out.

I'm an advocate of cool dry storage, but don't have such a place in my kitchen, so the beans go in the fridge in a sealed container. And I dont store long-term.

Advertisement