Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered post item given to someone

Options
  • 16-09-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

So last Monday I arrived home to find a missed delivery notice from an p*st. I had missed the postman by less than 20min according to the time on the notice. I live in an apartment with a communal letterbox.
    I wasnt able to get to the delivery office until Wednesday afternoon. When i did the guy working there went off and about 15min later came back to say he couldn't find parcel anywhere so to leave docket with him along with my contact details and he's look into it.
    So thurs afternoon I get a call to say someone had collected the parcel.on Tuesday eve from the depot. I asked how could that have happens if the post requires ID and a docket to collect an item, he had no real answer for me. He advised I call the customer care line and the guy I spoke to kept saying he didn't understand how it was given out to anyone without a docket or ID.
    He has since spoken to the manager of the depot who has advised they're trying to track down the person who signed for the package (it was evening time and postman only delivers early morning to my address so they've ruled out it was redelivered to neighbour) all they have is a first name to go on so I'm not really sure how they are planning on tracking them down.

My question is how can I go forward with this? I paid for an item to be delivered securely to me and now they've no idea where it is

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is really an issue for the sender. Contact them, as you have not received the item you paid them for. They paid An Post, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

This is really an issue for the sender. Contact them, as you have not received the item you paid them for. They paid An Post, not you.

But the sender is saying that the item has been signed for so not their problem

But the sender is saying that the item has been signed for so not their problem

Not so. It's not signed for by you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Not so. It's not signed for by you.

But that's only because An Post didn't follow their own procedures?
    Once the sender paid for registered post they would have (should have at least) a reasonable expectation that AP would make sure it was only the intended recipient that would get the package.

I would put this squarely on An Post.

wexie wrote: »
    But that's only because An Post didn't follow their own procedures?
    Once the sender paid for registered post they would have (should have at least) a reasonable expectation that AP would make sure it was only the intended recipient that would get the package.

I would put this squarely on An Post.

Correct but their contract is with the seller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Correct but their contract is with the seller.

Oh so you mean that OP should raise it with the seller and the seller subsequently raise it with AP?

I guess that would make sense alright.

Oh so you mean that OP should raise it with the seller and the seller subsequently raise it with AP?

I guess that would make sense alright.

That's it. He paid the seller for a product he has not received and An Post do not have him signing for it. The seller paid registered post that was not delivered and this have a dispute with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We get tons of post & deliveries to my home on a daily basis from an post & just about every other delivery company. If we miss an post my wife goes to the local office. They regularly give her parcels without the docket. Don't believe that they don't.

A few months ago I ordered parts from a UK company. The delivery was taking longer than expected so I emailed the company I bought the parts from. I got an email back saying that my parcel was delivered (not by an post) & it was signed for by a Mr Green Bin. I don't have a problem with a company putting a delivery in the green bin but I do expect to be told about it. It was sitting there for days & I was lucky that it was the week when my green bin wasn't due to be collected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

<SNIP - leave out the allegations please>

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

That's it. He paid the seller for a product he has not received and An Post do not have him signing for it. The seller paid registered post that was not delivered and this have a dispute with An Post.

But tracking information is showing the sender that it has been delivered so as far as their concerned I have received it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

But tracking information is showing the sender that it has been delivered so as far as their concerned I have received it.

Open a complaint with PayPal or start a charge back on your credit card. It was delivered but not to the correct person and that's the sellers problem not yours

That means nothing. Tell the sender it has not arrived. Look for replacement or refund and, failing that, start a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If you have a tracking number (which is printed on the parcel label) you can check it on An Post website and download the delivery record showing the recipient signature.

That's for tracked delivery, you mention "registered post" so that may be a slightly different process but worth checking anyway.

If you don't know the tracking number, the sender should have it, anyone can download the delivery record with the tracking number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We get tons of post & deliveries to my home on a daily basis from an post & just about every other delivery company. If we miss an post my wife goes to the local office. They regularly give her parcels without the docket. Don't believe that they don't.

You need either the docket or you need tracking number + photo identification & address identification.

If your wife is known to the delivery office, then they would have no issue handing it over as they know its the correct person.

As for the OP, ask them to check the cctv in the foyer of the delivery office for the time the parcel was collected, but ti is the sender that should be doing this. Doesn't matter that there's a signature - its not your signature and the sender is insured

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You need either the docket or you need tracking number + photo identification & address identification.

If your wife is known to the delivery office, then they would have no issue handing it over as they know its the correct person.

As for the OP, ask them to check the cctv in the foyer of the delivery office for the time the parcel was collected, but ti is the sender that should be doing this. Doesn't matter that there's a signature - its not your signature and the sender is insured

I know what you are supposed to need. I am just pointing out that sometimes they don't follow the rules as might be the case with OP

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The seller is AP's client. The OP is not. Thus the OP has to tell the seller of the non-delivery, and the seller will then chase it up with AP.
    Ask for proof of delivery, ie; the signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s the sellers issue to chase this up as the contract was taken out by them and only they can claim from an post and if they don’t resolve it then the next step is to open a dispute with PayPal I agree
    Do not start a chargeback unless it’s a last resort, PayPal will not appreciate this and you will get your account close and be blacklisted

PayPal is your first line of protection and they will normally back the buyer

The OP never said where they purchased the item or how they paid. So no point in going to PayPal if they never used it. But I agree you open the complaint with what ever method you paid.

Advertisement