Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB - Unauthorised charge on my visa debit

• 16-09-2018 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Last Friday morning while checking my online banking I noticed 2 charges on my card totalling just over €1,900. No idea what these were for so contacted Open 24 immediately. I had 3 transactions pending on my card, these 2 and a ATM withdrawal I had made all dated Sept 13. Open 24 said my card would be frozen and that the case would be passed onto the card fraud department marked urgent, This was at 11.am Friday morning. Checked my Open 24 account Friday night and all 3 transactions pending so presumed my card was frozen. No contact from the fraud department Saturday so contacted them Sunday morning to be informed that the €1900 had been paid out of my account and that they would be launching an investigation and cancelling my card. Just checked my Open 24 account and the money is gone and PTSB also charged my €11.43 for each of the transactions. My ATM transaction is still pending. A few questions I cant get my head around.

1. 2 months ago I made an online purchase for $66 from an American site which I had used previously. Within 10 minutes I had a call from the fraud dept to verify this. Why no call for 2 purchases totalling €1900 from a company I have had no previous dealings with ?

2. I was told Friday morning that because my card was frozen that I could not use it. But at least 12 hours later PTSB were able to pay out over €1900 to a transaction I reported as fraudulent. Any opinions on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My card was compromised twice within the past year. Once was as a result I think of the ticket master breach.

Both times PTSB fraud dept phoned within 5 mins of the transactions occurring.

I find them excellent with this type of thing normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dlnv27

Thats what I cant understand. Contacted for a $66 purchase but have to contact them 2 days after I reported a fraudulent charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Any update?
    This is very disconcerting.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dlnv27

Latest update. Monday evening I was taking to a woman in my local PTSB, told her my story and said I was not very happy with their actions. Was told that transaction pending was not a transaction that was pending but a transaction that had already gone through. Told I would recive a form in the post within a couple of day which I should get signed at my local Garda station and return to PTSB fraud department. I asked about the charges that had been applied to the transactions and was told I should mention them on the form but she didn't think I would get them back. Explained to her that not only had the bank given away my money but had also charged me for it. I was also told that the transaction to pay over the cash happened at 5.50am Saturday morning even though I couldn't use my card after it was frozen Friday morning after I contacted OPEN 24. Checked my account Wednesday morning and the money has landed back in my account. No explanation about what happened and no sign of a refund of the bank charges. Will be contacting OPEN 24 and will post any updates.

Advertisement