Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this tree?

Options
  • 16-09-2018 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows what this shrub/tree might be?

I can't remember where i got it from or how long i have had it.

All i know is last year it had loads of flower buds but they never opened, this year it had loads of flower buds that did and it looks wonderful when in bloom.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's a hibiscus shrub, probably Hibiscus Syriacus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

New Home wrote: »
    That's a hardy hibiscus (tree).

Nice one, thank you.

I will be able to look up how to look after it now, I will find a place in the garden for it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Make sure you pick a sunny, sheltered spot, and protect it in winter - I don't know how well they fare in Ireland when the summers aren't as hot as the last one's been.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Make sure you pick a sunny, sheltered spot, and protect it in winter - I don't know how well they fare in Ireland when the summers aren't as hot as the last one's been.

I am not in Ireland anymore. A much worse spot for it to prove it's hardiness - the North East of England.

This is probably why it failed to flower last year as it did not have enough time before the cold weather set in.

• Advertisement

It'll need a duvet and a hot water bottle, then. :D

lawred2 wrote: »

For me, it has been well worth waiting for.

Not sure if you can see the bee in one of the pictures attached, but they had a nice feast on it too.

I am just hoping it has not only flowered because of the wonderful Summer we have had (yes we had it here too :pac:) - as I don't think I can wait that long next time given i now know what it produces.

Would you put it in a greenhouse?

Would you put it in a greenhouse?

I might get a small one for it over the Winter.

The reason it is potted is because we were thinking about moving - now we are staying.

We have never done much with the garden but might do now.

I may have to reconsider what trees i buy though. We have two magnolia trees (both planted). One looks really healthy and has grown to a big size it has just never flowered.

The other looks healthy too and had one flower this year.

Advertisement