Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery capacity nearly halved in space of a few days

Options
  • 16-09-2018 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

My laptop has started dying before battery power has fully depleted. I ran a powercfg /batteryreport and as you can see the capacity has really drastically depleted over a short time. Is this a normal occurrence?. Laptop is only about 2 1/2 years old.

461436.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Aftermarket battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

magentis wrote: »
    Aftermarket battery?

No original.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Sounds like normal degradation for 2.5 year old pack.

Battery lifespan usually defined by "charge cycles", but this info not always available. Check with manufacturer.
    Read some tips in this article and for very technical stuff see https://batteryuniversity.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

batteries are treated as a consumable item, and the warranty is usually shorter eg 1 year etc. Getting 2.5 years is better than normal.

After 2.5 years there is not comeback from manufacturer. however if you got such a decent time from it so you might consider buying an original as a replacement rather than a 3rd party battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

batteries are treated as a consumable item, and the warranty is usually shorter eg 1 year etc. Getting 2.5 years is better than normal.

+1 properly cared for and using the device mainly off the mains, you could get up to 4 years out of a battery but I agree, 2.5 years isn't bad. Depending on the model there may be a battery/power utility that can help you, it can condition/calibrate the battery to improve the accuracy of the 'power remaining' shown in the status bar but it won't improve the capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your pack will be 6 or 9 cells typically. One cell going dead will take down the rest as they're in series. If you were to dismantle the pack (destroying it) you'd likely find 0v or very low voltage across one cell.

These failures happen, can happen on week old pack or an 8yr pack. As a battery is a consumable just replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Were you using it outside or somewhere in direct heat?

The heat this summer was enough to dry batteries, I had a mobile phone burst apart as the lithium battery got too hot sitting on a window ledge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Thanks for all the replies. I've ordered a replacement from the original supplier of the laptop. Actually went for an increased 62.16 WH version.
    Laptop never used outside so heat no probably relevant in this case. As said above I guess it's a reasonable return for a consumable considering it's used everyday.

Advertisement