Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

First £12m due after he plays 20 games. If that is true then Everton can just play him for the rest of this season and pay nothing, then move him on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Nah man, he’s 25. He’s zero risk. Don’t have to pay a bean if he doesn’t make enough appearances. Definite worth a punt this way.

I suspect there is a forced buy back clause or some shenanigans, because we can’t take him on loan.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

present day Alli is about the last player I'd want in a relegation scrap, another Iwobi / Walcott /Delph , feal we have learned nothing, going round circles paying inflated prices, for talented players who have lost ther way, then we wonder why ther is no passion on game day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's worth taking a punt on Alli, using the appearances clause etc to see if he will be kept for next season. When you see Alli and 40 million in the same sentence you do kinda think way overpriced, but when it's broken down, it might be a good deal. I can see him making 30 minnute cameos and the odd start. I presume DVdeB will be the main starter and it will be very interesting to see him getting a good run in the team and how good he might actually be.

We don't even need an Alli type player , we already got loads of cover ther, especially now with van der Beek , but we are desperate for a decent striker to help out DCL , as ther is no quality cover , nevermind we can rely on Toson and Rondon to bang them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

The Ali signing is odd. Just feels like another Iwobi/Walcott signing… a lot of money on an out of form player

It’s very little money actually. Zero until he makes 20 appearances

they/them/theirs

We are paying feck all for him though. Unless he turns out great. I’m fine with that.

they/them/theirs

Well if Conte couldnt motivate him, I don't expect Lampard can - and we actually dpn't need him , we are overloaded in that position.

Seams odd to sign 2 similar players when we are so short up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'll hold my counsel on him. At his best I rated him far far higher than the likes of Walcott, Delph, Iwobi ever reached

There is a player there

Sometimes the complete change of scenery can help.

But have we ever had much success signing players from similar stature London clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wonder if the thinking is to basically consider him a second-striker/false 9. Attacking midfield in and of itself hasn't exactly been his strength - he's always looked at his best getting on the end of things, or making a final pass in the box, rather than in the outside-the-box build up. Kane's evolution has forced Dele deeper over the years, and he's had trouble impacting games from there. Positionally, I could see it working - though his mentality is a whole different conversation.

I do think it’s weird signing both of them. But I’m actually more looking Forward to seeing what van Der Beek can do. When he’s in form he oozes class.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭TTTT

I agree that Alli might be a option up front.

Newcastle seem desperate. Maybe we could offload some dross to them for a stupid fee?

van der Beek does makes sense , but Alli makes zero sense , he's lost his hunger ask any Spurs fan , theyre delighted to see him go - if it was a once off I might be with you , but we have a habit recently of signing under-performing talented players - Walcott/ Delph/ Iwobi /Bernard - and thats whats got us in the mess we are in.

I want to see hungry players at Everton its what we need, not millionaire going through the motions mikling an obscene wage. Maybe Alli will prove me wrong, but as I said if Conte cant motivate him how will Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

The Alli deal seems to be a a strange one and is probably designed to work around FFP rules this season.

Even if he plays well, it might be a year before he gets to the 20th game as he is already cup tied.

The contract is only 2.5 years so potentially his last 1.5 years could raise the transfer fee to £30m plus his £100k+ a week wages.

Assuming that covers about 75 weeks, his cost would be about 500k a week after which he would be able to walk away on a free.

With that sort of pricing structure, I can see him playing exactly 19 games spread out over 2.5 years.

It’s basically last chance saloon for him. That should motivate him if nothing else does. If it doesn’t he’s gone pretty quickly. Someone will take him on a free next January and we lose feck all

they/them/theirs

Next 2 games are massive , particularly the Newcastle game, lose and things will become toxic quicly and we really will be in a relegation battle, get 2 wins and the mood will change, and we will be safe I think. Not sure what way it will go . Pressure all round.

I see that Ashley Cole has joined as a coach. I hope he can sort out our defence. I thought he was a great player.

Alli rolls up to training in a Rolls Royce , given the mess we are in and his performances past 2 years , not the right sign for me.

• Advertisement

What if that's just, like, his car though... should he go buy a worse car when his performances drop? Or have a garage full of cars of different quality, so he can always drive one that fits his present performance level?

It's one thing if he purposefully made a statement of renting/buying this car for this event, but a super rich young fella having a fancy car doesn't really say much one way or another for me... it begins and ends with what he does on the pitch (as long as he's not doing actual jerk things off the field of course).

I'm sure he has another less flash car, its the statement its giving , his performance drop off the past 2 years has been shocking , Everton is already stuffed with under-performing multi millionaires. Maybe he will prove me wrong , but seriously doubt it. The perfomance we have seen the past 12 months dont think any of them should be driving a Rolls Royce , fair eneogh if doing the business like at City

I dunno, this just feels like too much of an unfair connection to make. Like, should he move into a smaller house too? Do we expect a middle-manager to trade in his Passat for a Skoda when he drops off hitting targets for a bit?

It's one thing to complain about someone's party lifestyle or something, but complaining about them driving too nice a car (which they can easily afford) feels a bit 'eat the rich'. I doubt him arriving in a Rolls Royce or a Fiat Cinquecento will make much difference to his performances. Who knows, maybe his appreciation for nice things will be a greater incentive to perform so he can keep having nice things. (Also, would a Rolls Royce even particularly stand out in a premier league clubs car park? Doubt it'd be the only one, with a fair few Ferraris, Lambos, Porches etc around as well)

It's a car that cost him about 3 weeks wages... if we all came to work in vehicles we got from 3 weeks wages I'd say a fair few of us would be pedalling them 😅

I completely agree.

If he does the business on the pitch, I couldn’t care less what he drives.

they/them/theirs

What else did we expect these lads to drive?

Anyway onwards and upwards. Hope we see some sort of response to be positive about today.

good positive team selection from Lampard

Cruising give away a soft penalty.

the more things change, the more they stay the same.

they/them/theirs

Well that was a bit different. Decent performance

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Watched the rugby , but seamed a lot more positive at Goodison - 4 -1 is a good start , Tuesday will be another test. But well done Frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

To start with they pressed as a unit, front 3 pressed and the next 4 screened, turned over a lot of ball. Gomes and Allan played really well always looking comfortable on the ball and kept trying to get things moving forward.

Godfery’s injury the only negative.

Thanks - nice to get a positive report after 16 months of negativity - or is it a decade? - I'm losing track

from me personally?! Is that a reportable offence lol!!

nah, objectivity is always good but there was a noticeable difference in how they showed for the ball. I caught a clip of training during the week and lampard was encouraging them to “enjoy the ball” and honestly it seemed to rub off. Little triangles in tight spaces, nobody hiding and and the likes of Gomes focussed on what he’s good at. The left back played well too. (Too early to attempt his name)

its just good to read something positive about Everton - we have been going sideways with negative football for well over a year - saw the highlights and was nice to see and hear we are trying to play positive , I know its only one game , but we might be on track.

• Advertisement

Big game tonight. A win would be nice and put us 7 to points clear of the bottom 3.

Alli, van Der Beek and DCL all on the bench.

Townsend in for Mykolenko. Not sure what the shape will be at all.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Townsend left wing back. Mykolenko has covid

yeah. So far so good as well.

Gomes is really a Rolls Royce midfielder when he’s in this formation. Short passing is exceptional,

they/them/theirs

We are actually jinxed. Gray and Mina off injured.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Shelvey lucky to be still on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Disaster to concede so soon after taking the lead.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

they/them/theirs

Should have been straight red.. but you know.. it's Everton

Injuries were cruel.. lost our way after those

Brutal 2nd half. Horrible goal conceded. Gomes stopped playing, Alli has been awful.

they/them/theirs

This evening has been the polar opposite. These players cannot hack the press

We’re going down.

they/them/theirs

This is as bad as I've seen all year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

The team looks all over the place with no real shape.

It's as if Lampard just told them to go out and play how they feel.

Alli looks like he is dead wood as well.

If anyone was wondering how we got Townsend on a free, they shouldn’t be after tonight. Woeful.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
Advertisement