Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

dubrov wrote: »
    He has a pedigree alright.
    It's just the wrong type

Champions league, uefa cup, la Liga. Not afraid to take the jobs like Newcastle and show he can work with what he's got. He's picked bad jobs since he left Liverpool but this is the perfect fit for him imo.

The perfect appointment for Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

The perfect appointment for Everton.

Must resist responding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Out of interest, for everyone that is opposing Rafa as manager, would you take Klopp as manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Fitz* wrote: »
    Out of interest, for everyone that is opposing Rafa as manager, would you take Klopp as manager?

If we did would you take Alex Ferguson to replace him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Would Klopp be capable of being successful at Everton would be a better question? It isnt just because of the Liverpool connection why Everton fans dont want Rafa, Klopp was the perfect manager for Liverpool at the right time and it all fell into place. I dont see this happening if Rafa is next to get the Everton "Gig", its a recipe for further mockery and relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

larva wrote: »
    Would Klopp be capable of being successful at Everton would be a better question? It isnt just because of the Liverpool connection why Everton fans dont want Rafa, Klopp was the perfect manager for Liverpool at the right time and it all fell into place. I dont see this happening if Rafa is next to get the Everton "Gig", its a recipe for further mockery and relegation.

Rafa has a decent track record but the Liverpool connection has been a problem to accept,as would klopp be.Interestingly,both klopp and Alex Ferguson struggled initially.,

I'd take Klopp in a heartbeat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

With zero hesitation

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thanks for responses.

I think it's fair to assume that based on the above, posters don't really have an objection towards appointing a manager with previous allegiances to Liverpool, and it's more having an objection towards appointing Benitez based on his ability. Which is fair if ye think he is not good enough. Personally, I'd disagree on that point but differing opinions and all that.

A lot of the hostility I have seen on twitter etc seems to be coming from his previous employment though, not because of his ability. Rafa's very professional and career centric. He was always slated for being too 'cold' and not sentimental or emotive enough, which suggests that he is able to put aside his previous work with Liverpool and manage other teams while playing against them. If he is able to work at Chelsea while the clubs were rivals, then surely he can work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

No. Don’t want anyone associated with them. What next? Gerrard?
    I’m done with Everton until he is gone. Hopefully gone by Xmas. Moshiri can go f himself too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is it official?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is it official?

No. Still time for him to be struck by lightning or something. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

toffeeshel wrote: »
    Moshiri can go f himself too

No Moshiri no new stadium - dealing in the bargain bin with Billy K, I don't want Benitez either, but seriously

thebaz wrote: »
    No Moshiri no new stadium - dealing in the bargain bin with Billy K, I don't want Benitez either, but seriously

Not going to need a 50k stadium if the majority of the support have given up on the club. The football served up by Allardyce Ancelotti and in time Benitez is turgid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not going to need a 50k stadium if the majority of the support have given up on the club. The football served up by Allardyce Ancelotti and in time Benitez is turgid

Who do you want as manager?

Not Benitez. At this stage I would give Dunc a chance. Possibly Potter. There must be an ambitious young manager out there available. Benitez will be poisonous. How can a successful businessman think that alienating the majority of his customers is the right way to go?
    I don’t see the point of Brands if Moshiri is going to just go ahead and make the decisions himself. His managerial appointments have been disastrous and costing the club a fortune in severance payments. In fairness he backs the managers financially but it’s down to him that he is backing the wrong people

Conte, Galtier or someone who has been successful in the last decade.

they/them/theirs

The majority will still go the games when they can , only a small % will not.
    And Benitez is light years ahead of Allardyce , how many champions leagues has he won ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Thanks for responses.

I think it's fair to assume that based on the above, posters don't really have an objection towards appointing a manager with previous allegiances to Liverpool, and it's more having an objection towards appointing Benitez based on his ability. Which is fair if ye think he is not good enough. Personally, I'd disagree on that point but differing opinions and all that.

A lot of the hostility I have seen on twitter etc seems to be coming from his previous employment though, not because of his ability. Rafa's very professional and career centric. He was always slated for being too 'cold' and not sentimental or emotive enough, which suggests that he is able to put aside his previous work with Liverpool and manage other teams while playing against them. If he is able to work at Chelsea while the clubs were rivals, then surely he can work here.

His connection with Liverpool is far too deep for him to be accepted by a cohort of Everton fans. The same would go for Klopp. Rafa is totally the wrong manager for Everton to appoint now. If appointed, I guarantee he will be the first manager to be sacked next season, thats a sure tip for you if you're a betting man.

The majority will still go the games when they can , only a small % will not.
    And Benitez is light years ahead of Allardyce , how many champions leagues has he won ?

Benitez is definitely superior to Allardyce. But is that our yard stick now?

they/them/theirs

Not sure I'd want klopp either to be honest but at least that would be justifiable on a football level.

Brian? wrote: »
    Benitez is definitely superior to Allardyce. But is that our yard stick now?

I dont want Bentiez either, but another poster kept comparing him to Sam - I would have much more respect for Benitez than Sam , on a human level, nevermind as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I can't quote all of ye there so I'll reply in general as I asked the original question.

Don't think ye could get the likes of Conte, he's surely looking for a top four, league winning, champions League type appointment in one of the big leagues.

Has big Dunc done enough to warrant the appointment, I would guess not but don't know enough about what he does at the club. He certainly has the passion and history but that doesn't always work out and he'd end up being tarnished by it. For similar reasons I wouldn't really want Gerrard at Liverpool in the future.

Potter, Nuno, Parker, Galtier would all have been names I'd think were the right level for Everton.

I get the issues some fans have with Rafa, but given backing and a long term contract he could do a great job there. Don't think it would be the majority of fans who'd be against it either. Surely enough would be able to see what he brings. But I get that plenty won't, and why that is, rightly or wrongly.

It's just like before Sam got hired.

It really gets tiring hearing from other club's fans suggesting managers we should be happy with because they are at "our level"

It's just like before Sam got hired.

It really gets tiring hearing from other club's fans suggesting managers we should be happy with because they are at "our level"

Yeah. Not interested in such opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

If Benitez gets the job then I'm not going to stop supporting the club. I didn't agree with Martinez or Silva when they got their jobs but I rolled with it because they were the manager and my theory is that we support them until they prove unworthy of that support.

Allardyce is the only appointment where I refused to buy any club merchandise and barely watched any of his games in charge.

If Benitez takes over I'll grudgingly accept it and at least give him a chance to see what he can do - because at that stage he'll be in the job and no amount of bitching from me is going to change that.

The reason I was so against Allardyce is that he is an odious excuse for a human being, I don't feel that strongly about Benitez, I just wish the club had more ambition and went for Grahame Potter who I believe would be a far better appointment.

The last 4 leagues and 4 cups won by Everton have been with a former player as manager. Catterick Kendal and Royle

• Advertisement

The last 4 leagues and 4 cups won by Everton have been with a former player as manager. Catterick Kendal and Royle

Mark Hughes is available

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Mark Hughes is available

So am I. I've won 2 games in a row with an u11 team

they/them/theirs

Mark Hughes is available

Ha. Be careful what you wish for. Sheeds did a great job with Waterford

If Benitez gets the job then I'm not going to stop supporting the club. I didn't agree with Martinez or Silva when they got their jobs but I rolled with it because they were the manager and my theory is that we support them until they prove unworthy of that support.

I agree, don't want Benitez, I remember being one of the few here who liked Martinez, neither him nor Benitez would be my first choice , then I've never owned a football club nevermind coached one. I'll give Benitez a chance , but my fear is, first bit of poor form ther will be calls for his head , and we'll be back to square one again. Conte is the only I can think of who really would fill me with confidence and hope . I lay all this crap on Ancelotti, I defended him when we were rubbish thinking this season was when it would happen, he's just left us in a bigger mess , building half a team , of which nearly half are expensive flops.

So usmanov and moshiri want rafa despite opposition from inside the club and the fans. And brands has had very little input. He should walk so if that's true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

So usmanov and moshiri want rafa despite opposition from inside the club and the fans. And brands has had very little input. He should walk so if that's true

Why, is Brands the head of PR?

• Advertisement

SickBoy wrote: »
    Why, is Brands the head of PR?

Director of football and responsible for selecting a manager and implementing a style of play. Why are two non football men making the decision?

Director of football and responsible for selecting a manager and implementing a style of play. Why are two non football men making the decision?

Agree 100% - a DoF is meant to spearhead a direction or philosophy (from a footballing perspective) for the club, how can he do that if he has zero input into who the manager is?

Happens everywhere - Roman makes all the big decisions down at the Bridge for example

Happens everywhere - Roman makes all the big decisions down at the Bridge for example

Chelsea don't have a Director of Football though

Either let Brands go or let Brands do his job, can't have it both ways

Billionaires need to cop on that they don’t have the knowledge to make these decisions and empower the people that they are paying well to run the club

• Advertisement

Chelsea don't have a Director of Football though

Either let Brands go or let Brands do his job, can't have it both ways

not saying I agree, as I said I dont want Benitez , just saying what happens in reaity at most big clubs.

This makes me feel absolutely sick to my stomach and embarrassed to be associated with these "fans".
    557052.jpg
    Disgraceful carry on altogether.

Read it here https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-banner-police-breaking-20917930

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

SickBoy wrote: »
    This makes me feel absolutely sick to my stomach and embarrassed to be associated with these "fans".
    557052.jpg
    Disgraceful carry on altogether.

Read it here https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-banner-police-breaking-20917930

Absolute muppets, confirmed by the fact that they put the banner outside the wrong house 😀

Damn. They've effectively confirmed that they don't know where he lives.
    He'll sign the contract without fear now.

Damn. They've effectively confirmed that they don't know where he lives.
    He'll sign the contract without fear now.

was a disgraceful Cowardly act - as previous posters said Muppets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

You'd wonder, with our previous manager being burgled

I reckon they'll announce rafa tomorrow when the focus will be on the England game

I reckon they'll announce rafa tomorrow when the focus will be on the England game

That's a good shout alright

Doesn't seam so long ago when our biggest problem was Pickford in goals - he is back to top form, while our problems today are much bigger.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1409934669018288136?s=19

• Advertisement
Advertisement